5 replies to this topic

#1 whatand1

whatand1

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:53 PM

My 1.3i engine is dying and I'm not really sure what the problem is.
I've been told I probably need a new engine, but was hoping I could have some help trying to figure out what has actually gone wrong so I could get the parts/engine/advice necessary to fix it!
Here is a video of the engine running! (I apologise for the extremely loud air filter drowning out just about everything else ;D)
BEWARE THE NOISE WILL MAKE YOU FEEL SICK! I do every time I start her up!

#2 Cian 'the pain' MPI

Cian 'the pain' MPI

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Local Club: mini-chat.co.uk

Posted 19 September 2008 - 01:13 PM

I've been told I probably need a new engine, but was hoping I could have some help trying to figure out what has actually gone wrong so I could get the parts/engine/advice necessary to fix it!
Here is a video of the engine running! (I apologise for the extremely loud air filter drowning out just about everything else >_<)

Bearing in mind that i have no mechanical qualifications but have been working on minis for about 4 years now, i would say that rattle sounds like a mojour bottom end rattle bassically your crankshaft shell bearings are shot and if you drive for much longer your engine WILL BREAK and be unfixable!, you could by new shell bearings but there is probably more damage done, you just wouldnt know until you open the engine up, the money it would cost to diagnose the problem and fix it you may aswell get a second hand engine or depending on how much spare cash youve got down the sofa get a new engine built

#3 whatand1

whatand1

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 01:20 PM

Here is a video of the engine running! (I apologise for the extremely loud air filter drowning out just about everything else >_<)

Bearing in mind that i have no mechanical qualifications but have been working on minis for about 4 years now, i would say that rattle sounds like a mojour bottom end rattle bassically your crankshaft shell bearings are shot and if you drive for much longer your engine WILL BREAK and be unfixable!, you could by new shell bearings but there is probably more damage done, you just wouldnt know until you open the engine up, the money it would cost to diagnose the problem and fix it you may aswell get a second hand engine or depending on how much spare cash youve got down the sofa get a new engine built

Thanks for that man, Ive decided on just getting a second hand engine, going to get it tomorow fingers crossed!

I gave it one last rag! And what you diagnosed is what I think ive been told before, thanks for the advice!

#4 Cian 'the pain' MPI

Cian 'the pain' MPI

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Local Club: mini-chat.co.uk

Posted 19 September 2008 - 01:22 PM

no sweat man, hope all goes well with the new engine

PS HAHA u did give it a good old rag, i wouldnt have wanted to be in there if the engine went boom, shell bearing in the crotch OUCH >_< Nice tunes also!

Edited by Cian 'the pain' MPI, 19 September 2008 - 01:25 PM.

#5 glennthrower

glennthrower

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Freakz of Sussex

Posted 21 September 2008 - 05:18 PM

hey mate, did you get your engine today?

G

#6 whatand1

whatand1

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 10:06 AM

hey mate, did you get your engine today?

G

Hey man, nah the guy was away at the weekend!
Im still on the lookout, found one out of a V reg cooper which got smashed up the arse at the scrappy but they are asking abit much for it and I dont get paid for another 2 weeks!
Reckon you could ask some of your club friends if they know of anything?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users