22 replies to this topic

#1 arnie_14

arnie_14

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 01:00 PM

going to be using a shaft driven bike engine mounted in the front but its going to be rear wheal drive,
anybody got any advice or suggestions on what axle, diff i could use,or if a kit is available

any help would be much appreciated

Edited by arnie_14, 21 September 2008 - 03:43 PM.

#2 Sam Walters

Sam Walters

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 06:25 PM

why does extended clubman come to mind.

#3 Joshmini

Joshmini

I Want To Ride My Bicycle! (Just Not Peddle)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 06:37 PM

Attached File  lackofpicsvader.jpg   65.71K   34 downloads

#4 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 06:43 PM

wouldnt bother with the triumph engine. Not id be interested if someone did a Flat 2 or Flat 4 BMW engine shaft driven into a diff. really low c of g, would be amazing

#5 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 06:49 PM

Attached File  lackofpicsvader.jpg   65.71K   34 downloads

Obviously cause he hasnt started yet lol Thats why he's asking for suggestions.

Are you using a V twin by anychance? Iwas thinking of doing this early last year with a Honda SP1 engine. I emailed Zcars about it but they kindly reminded me about steering rack issues. There is actually a FRWD bike engine mini around and it looks great. Not sure how they got over the steering issue though mate.

#6 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 07:10 PM

think its a triumph mate, by the 2294, straight 3 cyliner, would be too much of a squeeze IMO...

flat 2 it up, love to see that.

#7 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 07:34 PM

going to be using a shaft driven bike engine mounted in the front but its going to be rear wheal drive,
anybody got any advice or suggestions on what axle, diff i could use,or if a kit is available

any help would be much appreciated

On most shaftdrive bike engines the output shaft rotates the wrong way so you would need a special diff or a normal diff turned upside down which has been done but doesn't sound ideal
Probably better off with a conventional bike engine and change the chain sprocket to a propshaft adapter basically what the lotus7 type cars do, this will provide the correct direction of drive

Shouldn't need a extended front for most bike engines used in this way

Cheers
David

#8 arnie_14

arnie_14

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 08:07 PM

cheers for all the replys

yes i was planning on using a triumph rocket engine 3 cylinder and fitting a turbo to it,

i just assumed would be an easy engine to do it to as it was shaft driven already but by the sounds of things could make it harder if it rotates the wrong way.

#9 arnie_14

arnie_14

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 08:37 PM

if the rocket engine was to fit easily and shaft did spin correct way etc what options have i got for an axle or a diff of some kind

anyone got any ideas of kits you can buy or what kind of axles or diffs to look for second hand ?

#10 SukiDawg

SukiDawg

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:43 AM

Upside down freelander diff would be the way to go - easily available, correct (or close to correct) ratio etc. Just have to modify the oil pan to put the fill/drain plug in the correct place.

Steering rack as mentioned is the biggest headache.

#11 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 12:51 PM

With the engine up front driving the rear wheels, the steering rack is typically 10" above ground, the bike engine sprocket is approx 9" above the bottom of the sump add at least 4" for road clearance and your centre sprocket height is 13" allowing clearance for the propshaft. Modern bike engines are quite tall and I would expect that maybe the airfilter could be sticking out of the bonnet also clearance for exhaust maybe differcult to route

I personally think the biggest problem would be lack of weight over the driven wheels with a front engined rear wheel drive mini but what do I know! But like anything I'm sure it could be made to work

Cheers
David

#12 arnie_14

arnie_14

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 04:50 PM

wel think the next thing for me to do is to get my dad to get a load of measurements etc for me and to have a good look at my engine bay and try imagining how it would all fit in etc

if i was to use a free lander diff is there a certain year one are are they the same and could i use this and modify a front subframe into a back one so i usde the mini hubs etc?

cheers for all the replys so far tho thank you

#13 arnie_14

arnie_14

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 07:13 PM

so can any one help and suggest a set up to go with using the freelander diff if you all think this is the best way to go?
would i just use the freelander diff or the whole unit or would i use just the diff and then therefore witch hubs would i use?

does anyone no if there are any simular projects or pictures or information i can look at as i can not find anythink ?

#14 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 04:57 PM

Loving the sound of the turbo 3 cyl!! Type in Daihatsu Charade Gtii on you tube and thats what it would sound like only better lol. That would go like hell. The lack of weight over the back wheel might play into your hand if you like to do a bit of drifting. But I cant imagine it being too bigger issue. I remember seeing a Z cars converted bike engined frwd set up in a mag once so it cant be that bad. It never stopped the lotus Sunbeam giving it beans on the rally scene.

#15 SukiDawg

SukiDawg

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 10:52 PM

I personally think the biggest problem would be lack of weight over the driven wheels with a front engined rear wheel drive mini but what do I know!

Cheers
David

Thats a nice idea, but have you thought about weight transfer under acceleration?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users