22 replies to this topic

#16 lchris21

lchris21

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 05:16 PM

I have built and driven a couple of Seven typecars with bike engines up front and RWD. These things weigh little more than a bag of sweets, and they put the power down no problemo, with some tidy rubber and as long as you don't go silly horsepower. Granted the driver sits a little more over the rear end, but the additional weight of the mini shell should more than compensate for this.
As for drifitng the beasties, look out the Jap Drifters thats all I can say. The grin of booting it around your local roundabout never wears off :D

Edited by lchris21, 24 September 2008 - 05:16 PM.

#17 arnie_14

arnie_14

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 05:22 PM

i want it to be a driff machine lol

just need a little bit of help on what i need to look for to create the rear suspensin drive etc witch diffs are an option ? hubs and brakes ? and suspensin ? and subframe ?

cheers

#18 lchris21

lchris21

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 05:25 PM

I'm going DIY, but if you need some help then speak to theses guys:

http://www.mac1motor.../News/Mini.html

#19 Lofty

Lofty

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 07:04 PM

Im doing a front engined rwd mini, but stuck on what diff and shafts?

I believe im right in saying the Freelander shafts just bolt on to the diff? so which bit moves in and out when the suspension moves?

So with the freelander diff, do you have to have in upside down? or does it go the right way up? and does it need an oil feed? Dosent does it...?

Any help would be great.
Dave

#20 SukiDawg

SukiDawg

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 08:12 PM

Im doing a front engined rwd mini, but stuck on what diff and shafts?

I believe im right in saying the Freelander shafts just bolt on to the diff? so which bit moves in and out when the suspension moves?

So with the freelander diff, do you have to have in upside down? or does it go the right way up? and does it need an oil feed? Dosent does it...?

Any help would be great.
Dave

Seriously - before asking why not do a google image search?! Type "freelander diff" in and you'll see straight away if they bolt on or not. Do you understand how a driveshaft and CV joint work at all?!! They take up the length change not the interface between diff and shaft.

As for the "turning the diff" over question..... read some of the other threads and think about it yourself - because if your building a RWD drive convertion you really need to own the knowledge rather than just type something into an internet forum and hope someone else is going to do the thinking for you.... Its even been mentioned in this thread why this is necessary!

Sorry if this seems harse, but a) this is supposed to be a part of the forum for project progress threads only, and b) to have any hope of completing such a massive modification succesfully you have to use your brain as well as your socket set!

*Rant ends*

#21 arnie_14

arnie_14

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:08 PM

heres my shell all solid now, just awaiting for me to decide my plans and to start fabricatin subframes up etc
Attached File  Image071.jpg   227.19K   23 downloads
Attached File  Image015.jpg   280.36K   19 downloads

#22 johon6

johon6

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:10 PM

[quote name='arnie_14' date='Sep 21 2008, 02:00 PM' post='1150201']
going to be using a shaft driven bike engine mounted in the front but its going to be rear wheal drive,
anybody got any advice or suggestions on what axle, diff i could use,or if a kit is available

any help would be much appreciated

my mate has got an r1 engine mini, front engine rear wheel , his uses the axle from a diesel sierra

#23 arnie_14

arnie_14

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 05:05 PM

cheers for that
a few people have mentioned to me about sierra diffs, im currently looking into them atm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users