Neilos

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Local Club: Norfolk Mini Owners Club

Posted 21 September 2008 - 04:24 PM

hey!

Right...ned to change my rear subframe and need to know the following.

1) How involved is it? Would i need to have a strong mechanical knowledge to carry out this job?
2) What bits make up a complete subframe, as in radius arms etc?
3) Has anyone aguide or set of instructions they have that i could use to take me through this job?

thanks

#2 lrostoke

lrostoke

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,923 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 21 September 2008 - 05:16 PM

I would say its fairly straight foreward job, better with two people purely to help with the moving around of quite a big item.

As for a step by step, I would say try looking at the job first, decide what parts you need to remove to allow the subframe to be removed, would take an age to type it out here.

Its probably easier to strip the subframe on the car..the bits have got to come off for a swap, and it will make the subframe lighter.

Word of warning its very possible you may find extreme rust and rot lurking under the subframe, so unless you can weld probably not a job to start.

This was lurking on a 1993 Cooper , sills also removed on this one

Posted Image

#3 Neilos

Neilos

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 06:11 PM

ok, thats cool.

so what bits build up a "COMPLETE" mini rear subframe?

Reason being, im tempted to build up a complete new one in my garage

#4 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 21 September 2008 - 06:21 PM

you will need all these components..................

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

.................. :dontgetit:

#5 edi57

edi57

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 06:52 PM

Hi,

1) It's really not a super involving job, especially if you can take your time over it and it's really rewarding when you have finished it. I would definately advise you to get a haynes manual to give yourself a good understanding of what you have to do, and in what order.

2) When replacing/renovating a subframe I always buy one of these Nut Bolt and Bush Kits from Minispares. They are easily worth the money. You should be able to re-use your radius arms, just give them a clean up as long as the bearings are fine. Dampers and rubber springs are really the only other main components. Replace them if you want (if they're worn out)

3) I don't have a guide, but I did a subframe remove/replace this summer. Pics on my thread here. They may be of use to you.

Good luck!

Ed.

#6 Neilos

Neilos

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:47 PM

where did you get thos brackets from?

Ive got a complete nut, bolt & washer set, but need the metal brackets that the bolts and subframe mounts go through.

Ive done what you said, had a look and a bit of a fiddle with things...

Ive managed to loosen all 4 bolts which thread into the floor pillar - no problem.

The other 4 bolts that go through the floor look ok in the boot, but below look very very rusted and ceased - was thinking of drilling the heads off?, rather than mess about for ages trying to unscrew them - i presume i wont need the bolts or brackets etc as will be using new.

As for pipework etc, it all looks fairly staright forward. Ive got new dampers on, so all ok, got hi-lo's, cones & knuckle joints to go on which have already been bought. May just need to buy some fittings and pipework if i damage any.

My plan is to remove the old subframe in a completed state as possible, then build up a new one next to the old one so i know how parts fit together etc. I understand what you say about re-using parts, but i plan to buy all brand new - that way ensure the job is done properly and should be hassle free for a while.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users