Spent some more time on it yesterday evening. We had intended to mount the mock up engine onto the jig now that the diff is there.
However, when I started checking the shell position relative to the jig - we found that that over the 2 or 3 years with shell sitting up there, it had moved on its supports and was now higher (relative to the jig bed) at the front than at the back by about 10mm.
That needed fixing first then..... We could see that the shell wasn't fully sitting down on the front supports. These fit into the large holes in the engine compartment X-member where the big sub-frame shoulder bolts normally go. The idea of the jig function is that we support the shell there and in the top of the shock mounts at the rear while the whole middle of the car is fabricated. All the floor, roll cage, sill strengthening etc. can be built with the car mounted on the jig like this. When that's complete, we'll make new shell mounts that pick up on the ends of the sills The mounts under the front and back of the car can then be removed in order to make the rear sub-frame and suspension, and also all the stuff that's got to go at the front end.
Front jig mount out and on the deck.
To fix the issue, I ran the die grinder with an 60 grit drum on the end round the ID of the holes in the shell, and also fitted some bolt plates into the top of the support tubes with M10 nuts welded on the back. This should pull the car down better and prevent any movement.
When we offered it back up and trial bolted the shell down, I expected to maybe have to shim it a little bit under the bottom of the jig mount where it fits onto the base of the jig, but at first attempt it was sitting spot on.
I use a mitutoyo digital level and highly reccomend one as an sound investment! Zero'd off the horizontal base of the jig we were sitting exact on the shell. Although it looks like the level is sitting on some bumps in the x-member surface, several positions around the car all showed <0.5deg. I suspect thats about as good as any shell would ever measure at so I reckon its good to go.
We begin to have a look at how usefull all that mucking about on CAD is gonna be or not be!
The engine cannot fit far enough back with a standard bulkhead in place.. as we learnt on page one of this thread of course with my old red shell... I will be trimming a profiled hole out of the existing bulkhead to let the engine come back to the right position. Nice to see something sitting in there, I've been crawling around the floppy sharp horrid front end every time I go in the garage for years.. all to help with this bit. I can't wait to cut the bloomin thing off.
Turbo is too high here, and I will use an MHI unit rather than a garrett turbo so this photo is just for fun really...