116 replies to this topic

#91 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 03:35 PM

:grin: engine in and carb manifold on its way, sorted out the wiring today, :grin:

:sad: does anyone know the size of the nut for the starter motor, i don't have one fitted :sad:

hopefully i'm going to get the rest of the wirring sorted and get the door on tomorrow

#92 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 15 August 2004 - 10:37 AM

If your pot joint seals keep leaking on your old motor, even when replaced you probably need new pot joints. If you want to put that mill back in that is. The seals wear a groove in the joint so they can't hold tight enough anymore. Same with all oil seal surfaces, if you can see an obvious groove that shouldn't be there the part is scrap.

I have found loads of problems with twin carb linkages that need fettling, and with float chamber spacers. Give a shout if you need a hand.

Which nut do you need for the starter? If it's the feed terminal nut then you should really use a copper nut. You might find one at Halfords, they have quite a lot of Lucas bits and pieces.

#93 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 09:17 PM

sorted out the starter motor nut yesterday, now i know why i keep loads of spare nuts and bolts. then :D the starter motor didn't work, mmmmmmmm why not, no click from solenoid sugar i thought, so i took of the starter and tested it, screwdriver across contacts worked motor, but still no click to engage the teeth of the flywheel, a few test's with a slave starter still no click, :D buggered solenoid, just my luck... :sad:

phoned a few people for a new starter motor, first quote over £100, no thank you i said, checked mini magazine, prices around £50 thats good, made a few phone calls, curtuslly of yellow pages, got one i will phone you back yeah right, good thing i didn't wait.

then BINGO, i hit jackpot, i found a supplier who has solenoids on the shelf, and he is only about 30 min away, and it's about £20 - £30 so i will pop down on friday and speak to them and see if we can get forum discounts for a plug on the site, one has to try anything to get cheap parts.

that's about all i have managed to do on my car this week, with getting the other cars ready for MOT's haven't had much time for her :sad:

just a quick word to dan cheers for the post, but the pot joint seals were fine when i finally changed them. It's the crankshaft oil seal in the flywheel housing that keeps leaking and i'm not sure why

#94 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 09:58 PM

today i went for a 2 hour drive, because i could, i went down to get a new solenoid for my mini, only to find i had been testing it wrong (plonker) :sad: and there was nothing wrong with it :D ,

so after a little bit of re-wiring of the electrics tonight, i got it sorted, starter motor now works a treat :grin: :D

then i did the tappets, put in new points, spark plugs, set up the timing to find out where #1 was and put all the leads on, not forgetting the rotar arm, i've lost count how many times i've taken off a dissy cap, and not put the rotar arm back in,, :D @ me

crossed my fingers and then pppppppuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, no sorry gggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, as my exhaust sounds lush, with the K&N filter and AAA needle

didn't run it for long as i haven't put any coolant in it yet, will do that tomorrow, along with putting the door on, yes it is still of, i'm finding it easier to test the engine with the door of, i can get to everything :grin:

so tonight i am a happy little young (ish) mini owner, who has an engine that puurs or growls instead of hunts

:wales:

might even be able to take her for an MOT next week :fear: :D

#95 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 07:28 PM

coolant has been added today and the reverse switch fitted, wheels now on and took her for a spin, she is very responsive, and turns nicely, tracking is still off.

only a few jobs left to do, and hopefully i will have her finished by the end of the month

#96 CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,587 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 20 August 2004 - 07:44 PM

Cool, sounds good. I think you should leave the door off, its a good look, lol

#97 Sunshine

Sunshine

Friend of TMF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 03:18 PM

heehee i got to take it for a spin today :D

NICE!!!!! it turned on a 5p and gave me back change!

i like!! i really really like! and i didnt even grind the gears it was that smooth and easy to drive.

#98 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 06:55 PM

:D done more work on the baby today, fitted my drivers door, and started on some of the cosmetic aspects of the interior, need to fit wing mirrors and bonnet tomorrow, along with grill and tehn she should be ready for the rolling road next week then mot

will keep you all informed

#99 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 09:16 PM

had a good day working on the mini today, doing cosmetic work, the little things that i keep putting off.

changed the locks today, and fitted door handle to pass door, and all the trimmings,along with the window trim, ariel, mirror, and fitted the side skirt between the arches, which makes the passenger side finished.

inside i wired up the front speaker, and the air vent.

good things the bullet mirrors are for show more than practability, as i can't see to much out of the passenger mirror. they are not easy to fit either, i had to drill an extra hole on the inside of teh door to get the screw in, which wsa then plugged up with a rubber grommet.

don't know if i am going to have much time to work on her this week, depends on how Sunshines car does on the MOT, plus i have a servicing and a timing belt to do this week..

#100 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 08:45 PM

:grin: :P car is just about ready to go for the MOT on friday at 3.30, bonnet is on now, tracking has been adjusted, will need to check it on ramps tomorrow, to measure everything, and change my headlight back to normal. :sad: :sad: found a crack in one of them yesterday when i was putting the bonnet on, so i am going to put the old ones back on for now until i can get another one.

so in less than 48hours i will be driving my mini on the road, i can't wait.

#101 Miniman

Miniman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 09:14 PM

so iu swappin the granada for the mini

#102 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 03 September 2004 - 01:42 PM

:grin: :grin: taking the mini for its MOT in 30 min it's out side on the road for the first time in i don't know how many years, :grin: :grin: :grin:

#103 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,066 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish MOC

Posted 03 September 2004 - 02:41 PM

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

#104 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 03 September 2004 - 02:44 PM

:grin: now you can enjoy your hard work :grin:

#105 Sunshine

Sunshine

Friend of TMF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 03 September 2004 - 04:03 PM

:D :grin: :D IT PASSED!!!!!!!!!

:grin: :P :grin:

barry is very, very happy too!! :P

Attached Files

Edited by Sunshine, 03 September 2004 - 04:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users