clan-line

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 28 September 2008 - 12:30 PM

Hi !
After 1 year without problems (it was the ECU last time) my 1995 SPI auto 31000 miles is coming back to London from South Wales on the back of an AA lorry.My son is not impressed (he was driving it) but I keep telling him it is better than a Micra !
Symptoms - no drive in any gear.Sudden fault and no warning beforehand.Recent oil change and remains full of oil.
I have looked at a helpful post on 10/2/08 by Oalloyd in the general posts with a similar fault that turned out to be linkage adjustment under the gearbox side cover.
The only other symtom which may or may not be related was a short intermittent flashing oil pressure warning light.The AA guy has said engine still running sweetly however (I hope !)
Is there any connection between oil pressure switch/inhibitor/ECU ?
I hope it is just a case of a tweeking of the cable but any experience/advise gratefully received.
Thanks
Iain

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 28 September 2008 - 05:38 PM

short intermittent flashing oil pressure warning light.

VERY bad news on an Automatic....

if you loose oil pressure, not only is your engine rotating without any oil being supplied to the crank and bearings, but the gearbox will not work.. at all...

Oil is used as a hydraulic fluid in the auto transmission to first of all select the gears, and secondly keep the gear selected by providing pressure to the bands... No oil pressure, no gears...

The biggest problem you now have is that if the pump has gone, you'll be VERY lucky to get a new replacement, and a VERY large bill to replace it.... probably more than the car is worth...

#3 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 28 September 2008 - 06:12 PM

I have two spare Auto oil pumps, take from two low mileage 998s. I dont know if the 1275 auto pumps are different, I dont think they are, but i dont have anything to compare. Both are star drive, thats the only think I can think that might be a problem.

#4 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 29 September 2008 - 06:07 AM

There are in fact only 2 types of oil pump for the auto, Star drive and Slot.... Star drive being replaced in 1980 by the A+ Slot.

Part number for A+ pump GLP107

#5 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 29 September 2008 - 12:49 PM

I'll have to check, Im sure they were star srive, but both came from A+ engines. I have also seen an A+ 1275 auto with star drive, that was a New Old Stock engine from Rover.

Never realised they were so difficult to get hold of, and no idea why I kept them :D

#6 clan-line

clan-line

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 03:14 PM

I'll have to check, Im sure they were star srive, but both came from A+ engines. I have also seen an A+ 1275 auto with star drive, that was a New Old Stock engine from Rover.

Never realised they were so difficult to get hold of, and no idea why I kept them :D

#7 clan-line

clan-line

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 03:21 PM

Never realised they were so difficult to get hold of, and no idea why I kept them :dontgetit:

Hi
Car arrived back at 6.30am thismorning so will have to wait till later in week to investigate.
Thanks for the replies..........looks like I may have to bring forward the manual conversion quickly !
But the car did in fact surprisingly drive off the lorry and no oil light.But didn't sound quite right ! They drove it onto the lorry in Wales but it took 20 seconds to engage a gear.
We shall see ..............!
Iain

#8 clan-line

clan-line

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 02:53 PM

Never realised they were so difficult to get hold of, and no idea why I kept them :dontgetit:

Hi
Car arrived back at 6.30am thismorning so will have to wait till later in week to investigate.
Thanks for the replies..........looks like I may have to bring forward the manual conversion quickly !
But the car did in fact surprisingly drive off the lorry and no oil light.But didn't sound quite right ! They drove it onto the lorry in Wales but it took 20 seconds to engage a gear.
Iain

Well one week on and I have had a good look at the car.I am in need of some further advice as I am rather baffled !
The car has no oil leaks - engine starts normally - oil light goes out in a couple of seconds - selecting. D or R produces an almost immediate engagement.So I took it out on the road - gently at first and all seemed ok then a thrash foot hard down for perhaps 5 or 6 miles.Perfect changes and no oil light. So on return a look at the oil pressure release valve which I inspected.
No visible damage.The oil is clean - changed 500 miles ago with the filter.
Speaking to my son he tells me that when the oil light showed it came on for a couple of seconds and then out.It was very difficult to get in gear. It flashed like this for a while when the AA man arrived but no sign since. Almost as if there was a sticking valve going on and off ? Dirt in the. Oil ways ?
So where from here ? I tried to use the Crypton ACT reader for the first time since the ebay purchase but sods law the card for MEMS is defective - Ford and GM fine ! I just wondered if the ECU has picked anything up. I havnt looked at the inhibitor switch yet but did look at the selector cable next to the front of the gearbox which seemed ok.
On the one hand I'm pleased as it still drives but can't rely on it until the fault is isolated.
Any ideas ?
Thanks
Iain

#9 clan-line

clan-line

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 08:17 PM

Hi
Iain

Well one week on and I have had a good look at the car.I am in need of some further advice as I am rather baffled !
The car has no oil leaks - engine starts normally - oil light goes out in a couple of seconds - selecting. D or R produces an almost immediate engagement.So I took it out on the road - gently at first and all seemed ok then a thrash foot hard down for perhaps 5 or 6 miles.Perfect changes and no oil light. So on return a look at the oil pressure release valve which I inspected.
No visible damage.The oil is clean - changed 500 miles ago with the filter.
Speaking to my son he tells me that when the oil light showed it came on for a couple of seconds and then out.It was very difficult to get in gear. It flashed like this for a while when the AA man arrived but no sign since. Almost as if there was a sticking valve going on and off ? Dirt in the. Oil ways ?
So where from here ? I tried to use the Crypton ACT reader for the first time since the ebay purchase but sods law the card for MEMS is defective - Ford and GM fine ! I just wondered if the ECU has picked anything up. I havnt looked at the inhibitor switch yet but did look at the selector cable next to the front of the gearbox which seemed ok.
On the one hand I'm pleased as it still drives but can't rely on it until the fault is isolated.
Any ideas ?
Thanks
Iain

Hi !
Well I had another look last weekend.Changed the oil and filter.No obvious problems.No swarf or bits in the oil. Car still driving fine. I bought one of those excellent ebay workshop manual CDs and looked at the auto box sections.There are quite a number of valves - oil pressure release - non return on the torque converter - pressure reduction to the gear train - and the valve block in the gearbox. Could one of these valves have stuck and gone "open circuit" allowing oil pressure to fall preventing gear selection and allowing the oil light to come on. A bit of dirt or sticking O ring ?
Still leaves the problem "will it happen
again " Hopefully not on the M25 ! Iain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users