8 replies to this topic

#1 mackan

mackan

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 05:35 PM

Hey, I have a question that I hope someone can answer, I live in sweden and have a leftsteerd car
, and want to convert my car with a R1 engine

I can not put the engine in the same direction as you put your engines when you are using Pro Motive kit,

the steering column is in the way
Do you think it will be much more difficult?

Excuse my poor English

#2 arnie_14

arnie_14

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 05:07 PM

put it in the boot!!!!!!!!!!

#3 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 05:34 PM

If I was you, I'd keep the car even more swedish and stick a Volvo T5 motor in the back!!! Lol 350+bhp of sexual 5 cylinder noise!lol

#4 *franky*

*franky*

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 06:07 PM

make it in to a right hand drive? :)

#5 lchris21

lchris21

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 06:20 PM

I may be wrong as I don't know much about the Promotive kits, but are'nt they based on the original Mini front subby ? If so does'nt the steering rack sit behind/underneath the subby ? Best speak to the people who make em.
The problem I can see is more with the foot controls and braking system? This could be overcome with simple bars/levers. The front cross member is already pre drilled for both right or left hand conversions. A little bit of thought and enginuity should sort your problems.
Otherwise take the easy option as mentioned and go right hand drive, and drop your promotive kit in....................

All the best with your project.

#6 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:07 PM

If I was you, I'd keep the car even more swedish and stick a Volvo T5 motor in the back!!! Lol 350+bhp of sexual 5 cylinder noise!lol

Z Cars have just started using the Volvo motors!! :)

#7 rtg54

rtg54

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Local Club: Minis of the Rockies, MINI5280

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:26 PM

Are you going to do a Pro-Motive conversion? If so, have you contacted them to see if a having a left-hand drive car is a problem?

#8 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:31 PM

sorry - i'm confused?

the pro-motive kit does not effect the steering column in any way???

A left hand drive set-up may cause problems with peddle box and master cylinder positions - but not steering rack?

Given what you aspire to - a conversion to right hand drive at the same time would not be a big deal surely???

#9 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:38 PM

Are you going to do a Pro-Motive conversion? If so, have you contacted them to see if a having a left-hand drive car is a problem?

the pro-mo kit has been successfully used in the US - but I am unsure what the side-effects of LHD are - Monte Busa has a thread on here, american but I'm sure its RHD because its a new zealand import.

- the best install yet but still RHD I think.

From my experience of the kit - if the master cylinders were all on the wrong side ( compared to UK ) it may still work and fit - but i think it would be a very tight squeeze.

Phil and darren will give you the fuller picture - they are very down to earth and approachable guys.

:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users