21 replies to this topic

#1 john1.2pearl

john1.2pearl

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 09:15 PM

Had a quick search around but couldnt find anything so here it goes, has anyone used/known of anyone who has used Non-Iso clear lacquer such as >>> Click Me or any other make of Non-Iso lacquer ?

Also what where the results like ?

Any help appreciated :thumbsup:

Cheers John

Edited by john1.2pearl, 30 September 2008 - 09:15 PM.

#2 rozzer!

rozzer!

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 06:57 AM

Had a quick search around but couldnt find anything so here it goes, has anyone used/known of anyone who has used Non-Iso clear lacquer such as >>> Click Me or any other make of Non-Iso lacquer ?

Also what where the results like ?

Any help appreciated :thumbsup:

Cheers John

havnt used, but have seen it used. takes a bit longer to dry. cant remember if its infrared compatible tho. if budget allows find a paint supplier that stocks ici nexa. its good quality.

#3 kirk

kirk

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 07:00 AM

ive used that stuff in the past mate and is ok
if you phone up ask to speek to paul top guy and will sort you out

#4 City Marshall

City Marshall

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 01:58 PM

Have you had a look at 1K laquer.

I recently used some and was very happy with the results.

#5 john1.2pearl

john1.2pearl

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 08:03 PM

Have you had a look at 1K laquer.

I recently used some and was very happy with the results.

Yeah iv'e looked into the U-POL 1K Acrylic "Smart Clear" lacquer which is supposed to give a decent finish out of the gun, but im not too sure if it will be as good out of the gun as the 2k equivalent be it with or without the iso's ? . Was just lookin at the 2k non-iso stuff as i dont have a booth and thought it could have all the benefits of the conventional 2K without the draw backs ?.

Edited by john1.2pearl, 02 October 2008 - 09:18 PM.

#6 john1.2pearl

john1.2pearl

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:26 PM

:)

#7 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:50 PM

1k is never as hard wearing and shiny as 2k, it does polish up nicely but you have to keep polishing it or it goes dull quickly. Never tried using non iso, nor do I really want to! 2k is fine without a booth, just make sure it's not freezing cold and wear an air fed mask. Either that or save up and get a bodyshop to do it :)

#8 john1.2pearl

john1.2pearl

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:55 PM

Thanks for the reply fella :) , i can get the airfed mask from work so thats not a problem :) , i am frequently doing spot repairs at work using 1k clear but ive normaly got an ir heater to cure the repair and wasnt sure if the 2k was as "finniky" in the colder more damp conditions as the 1k is with blooming and the likes.

#9 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 03 October 2008 - 08:27 PM

Yeah it should be ok, 2k shouldn't bloom unless it's very thin and it's very cold. I sprayed 2k today in the workshop, it was quite cold, (woolly hat type weather) and it was fine. Just let the first coat tack off slightly more than usual and don't bang it on too thick!

#10 Z1PPY

Z1PPY

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 01:06 AM

Hello. I have used non-iso clear 2K, using a 3hp compressor and mid-price range spray gun 1.4 tip. Churchill Paints, supplied by eBayer centralcarproducts.

Bad orange peel, but wetsands back ok. Nice shine though slightly off clear (more grey than yellow though) as not water white clear like normal 2Ks.

I have sprayed entire panels with this although the product is officially suited only to SMART repairs.

Would use again. Only wish it would atomise better than it does - it is much thicker than 2K even at 20% reduced.

Edited by Z1PPY, 11 October 2008 - 01:08 AM.

#11 Z1PPY

Z1PPY

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 08:12 AM

Yeah it should be ok, 2k shouldn't bloom unless it's very thin and it's very cold. I sprayed 2k today in the workshop, it was quite cold, (woolly hat type weather) and it was fine. Just let the first coat tack off slightly more than usual and don't bang it on too thick!

#12 fredbliss

fredbliss

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 07:53 AM

I'm sick of hearing how people think this isocyanate free lacquer is safe to spray without air fed PPE. There are ingredients in this laquer which are just as harmful as isocyanates.
Get the manufacturers MSDS and you will see how they say air fed PPE is essential.

#13 Z1PPY

Z1PPY

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 10:54 AM

I'm sick of hearing how people think this isocyanate free lacquer is safe to spray without air fed PPE. There are ingredients in this laquer which are just as harmful as isocyanates.
Get the manufacturers MSDS and you will see how they say air fed PPE is essential.

#14 Z1PPY

Z1PPY

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 10:57 AM

Have spoken with suppliers of my non-iso who confirmed it was safe to use small amounts of their product with a charcoal mask. That does not speak for all non-iso's of course, but thanks for pointing this out.

#15 Z1PPY

Z1PPY

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:56 AM

fredbliss - I stand corrected on this, the H&S data sheet clearly states, "Air-fed respiratory equipment should be worn when this product is sprayed".

What annoys me then is they produce a non-iso clear which they admit is not as good as ordinary 2K, but is about twice the price and you still have to wear air fed equipment! What's the point?

Having read through the active contents, I could find no connection between any of the components and asthma, as you do with isocyanayte, so I guess the product is less harmful than 2K, but you still need to be air-fed protected.

Thanks fredbliss for pointing this out - I will get my air-fed out immediately.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users