21 replies to this topic

#16 Z1PPY

Z1PPY

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 11:20 AM

fredbliss - hi. What are your thoughts on the following?

I came across Bradley Smart non-iso 2K clearcoat called BR4. As it is a non-iso product, the company advice is that it does not require an air fed mask to use.

The email advice I received today was," I am pleased to hear that you like our BR4. As our BR4 product is a non iso product you do not need to use an air fed mask. We also have a product called BR5 which is a Iso 2 pack lacquer and therefore air fed mask is required."

If I do need an air fed mask (which I have) I am concerned about hooking this up to an oil lubricated compressor, even with a 3-phase coalescing filter and adsorption filter on the belt.

What do you think about hooking my air fed mask up to an oil free turbine compressor? this would only be for the mask and the gun would be working off a second compressor?

I would appreciate any views.

#17 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:54 PM

You could use either compressor with no problems if you have a filter in the line or on your belt, like you say. I don't quite understand why you're wanting to use non ISO? if you have an airfed, might as well just use 2k? it's an easy, reliable product, and has a great finish if you get good stuff and apply it properly.

#18 Z1PPY

Z1PPY

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 11:10 PM

Hi PBPeter. I know - I came to that conclusion as well. I was looking for a relatively safer clear so I could dispense with expensive air fed air and filtering necessary with normal 2K, but when I realised the non-iso clear I was using required air fed anyway, I thought, "so what's the point?"

I did recently come across a non-iso 2K clear supplied by Bradley Smart, called BR4. An email from them confirmed that as an iso-free product it didnt require air fed mask, so long as a good charcoal respirator was worn and the usual PPE. I have asked for a copy of the specs and h&s sheets so I can verify this.

Has anyone used the BR4 stuff with any success for SMART repairs or entire panels?

#19 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 23 October 2008 - 07:41 PM

Sounds funny a company actually advising that it's not necessary to use air fed! Usually they go to the extreme, saying you have to wear air fed for everything! Health and safety and all that.

#20 fredbliss

fredbliss

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 04:22 PM

The only true iso free 2k lacquer is manufactured by paint manufacturing giant HMG of Manchester, they sell a hell of a lot of it. It is re-packaged by people like Churchill and Smartexpress. It comes in two versions a 50/50 mix and a 2-1 mix but both are the identical acrylic/epoxy mix. It does contain some very nasty ingredients and is not safe to spray using a rubber face mask.
There are manufactures/suppliers out there who will sell you lacquers claiming they are isocyanate free. Oval Paints of Sheffield manufacture a product called Mirrorcryl Iso-Free. And yes the lacquer doesn't contain isocyanates but the hardener which comes with it does contain high levels of the stuff.
Isocyanates are filtered out by good quality charcoal filters, the problem is raw isocyante has very little odour and if your filter is on it's way out then you are probably breathing it in without knowing. There is also a big problem with badly fitting negative pressure respirators (the rubber ones that stick to your face) they never seal properly.
The best option if you do not have a large enough compressor is to invest in a powered respirator such as a 3M Jupiter which pumps air through two cannister charcoal filters into a possitive pressure headtop or mask. This set-up can cost £600+ or much less on Ebay. It's well worth the investment and as you don't have the worry of breathing in oil laden compressor air could actually be the safest option.

#21 fredbliss

fredbliss

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 04:31 PM

Hi PBPeter. I know - I came to that conclusion as well. I was looking for a relatively safer clear so I could dispense with expensive air fed air and filtering necessary with normal 2K, but when I realised the non-iso clear I was using required air fed anyway, I thought, "so what's the point?"

I did recently come across a non-iso 2K clear supplied by Bradley Smart, called BR4. An email from them confirmed that as an iso-free product it didnt require air fed mask, so long as a good charcoal respirator was worn and the usual PPE. I have asked for a copy of the specs and h&s sheets so I can verify this.

Has anyone used the BR4 stuff with any success for SMART repairs or entire panels?

This lacquer is manufactured by HMG of Manchester, they sell it to Bradleys, Smartexpress etc, etc in bulk as a product called Autosafe. Bradleys then repackage it as their own iso free.
Check out http://www.hmgpaint..../tds_hmg/14.pdf
Although the product does not contain isocyanates, suitable air fed respiratory equipment should be worn when spraying it.

#22 Z1PPY

Z1PPY

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:11 PM

This lacquer is manufactured by HMG of Manchester, they sell it to Bradleys, Smartexpress etc, etc in bulk as a product called Autosafe. Bradleys then repackage it as their own iso free.
Check out http://www.hmgpaint..../tds_hmg/14.pdf
Although the product does not contain isocyanates, suitable air fed respiratory equipment should be worn when spraying it.

Thanks for this - just goes to show you should never go by what you are told or emailed by the company with the product - the tech sheet says it all.

Fredbliss - in case you still come by this way, I would like you to know I bought a Hobbyair 1 powered air supply with a full hood for just over £400 including carriage over from USA and there is no way I would consider spraying any system on the current market without air fed equipment. No point having a classy paint finish on your car if you are too ill to drive it. So thank you for your part in protecting my (and others who read this) health.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users