#16 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 12 December 2008 - 10:03 PM

Well, I've had it nearly three months now and I'm loving it! Soooo nice to drive and it really is pretty good on fuel too. Of course it wouldn't be a proper car if it didn't have some faults, so so far I have:

Repaired the heated seat switch illumination (really easy job that I thought was going to be difficult!)
Repaired the heated rear screen switch illumination (ditto)
Sorted the blown bulbs in the instrument panel
Changed the thermostat, seal and coolant (really hard job that I thought would be easy! :kiss:)
Given it a full mop, machine polish and wax, not to mention interior valet and engine bay clean.
Made all the badges black
Fitted DIN font plates
Fitted headlamp protectors, OEM style

Next on the list is to fit some decent brakes! It currently has 256mm front discs which work but don't inspire confidence. I've got hold of some VR6/G60 calipers and carriers, which will allow me to run 280mm brakes. I'm also going to fit Mk4 Golf rear calipers, which are made of aluminium and also have a handbrake mechanism that doesn't corrode and sieze up. I'll be fitting new discs and pads all round, as well as braided hoses. I don't know whether the G60 calipers and carriers will fit inside the Castellet's, so I managed to get some G60 steelies cheap from eBay, brand new :) Got the tyres swapped over and here's what it looks like now:

Posted Image

I know the arch gap is huge but for the moment I'm enjoying decent ride quality! I might lower it next year if I can afford to.

So yeah, the brakes is the next thing, will get some pics up once I've done it :thumbsup:

#17 buddylove

buddylove

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts
  • Local Club: SAMOA

Posted 13 December 2008 - 01:43 AM

Very nice Corrado, always liked them. Over here though, they are known as donor cars.

#18 samwell

samwell

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • Local Club: SC Spammers

Posted 13 December 2008 - 04:34 AM

my mate's well into the dubscene and has had a corrado for 11 months. Its jizztastic, im looking forward to seeing what you do with this pal.

#19 Rosslin Racing

Rosslin Racing

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,408 posts
  • Local Club: SMP beo BMC swiss

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:38 AM

if you need any parts give us a shout Hebu has a shed full.

#20 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 20 December 2008 - 01:35 PM

I'm thinking a 'Rado is the next progression from the 'Rocco at the moment.

Would love a VR6 one, but they're too much moolar for me at the moment! ;)

Might have a look around after Xmas though I think.

#21 nurseholliday

nurseholliday

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 05:19 PM

G60 Steelies look good :D

#22 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:33 PM

Just another quick update, this has been lifted from another forum, I actually did the work at the end of January:

Well, recently I've been pretty busy with the car, sorting things out. I've managed to find the time to recondition my recently-acquired calipers and carriers which have allowed me to fit 280mm discs. I've also fitted braided hoses, new fluid and renewed almost all of the suspension components with 'just' the top mounts and steering rack left to replace to sort out a handling issue. As well as that I've fully serviced the engine, with new consumables (oil, filter, plugs, leads, cap, rotor arm) and also changed the cambelt and tensioner just to be on the safe side.

Here's a few pics:

Posted Image

Reconditioned bearing housing/hub with new wheel bearing:

Posted Image

New front calipers etc:

Posted Image

Posted Image

--------------

I've also ordered three new engine mounts from AVS as the original ones are getting very tired now, especially the front one. While having a look at the work that I'd need to do to replace the mounts, I noticed a damaged wire leading to some sort of sensor at the front of the block, behind the oil filter. Further investigation revealed that its the crank position sensor, pretty crucial in keeping the engine running. I contemplated trying to repair the wire in-situ, but then decided I best take the sensor off and have a look at the job in hand. To get to the 5mm cap-head bolt securing the sensor to the block I had to remove the radiator fan and its cowling, as well as the front engine mount and its bracket. I then was able to get the bolt and sensor out easily, and found it looking like this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Bit of a mess really :withstupid: The wires are twisted around each other during manufacture for some reason, but 13 years exposure to heat (running near the block) has damaged the insulation and made it very brittle, meaning I'm unable to strip the wires back to fresh insulation and re-solder new sections in. I got as far back as the sensor itself but there's no chance of repairing it. The insulation is fine up near where it plugs into the engine loom as its well away from any heat source, but it doesn't help at the sensor end unfortunately. So its new sensor time, and for part number 037906433A I think I'm looking at around £150 from VW. Replacement sensors are listed on eBay but they're non-genuine and with crucial engine sensors I prefer to stick to genuine OE. Oh well! At least the front engine mount is off now ;D

I've managed to borrow a car from work for the couple of days it'll take for VW to get the sensor in, and then I'll fit it this week. Its a good job really, as the missus and I are heading up to Scotland next sunday for a week away driving in the C, and it would have been a bugger if the sensor had failed when I was up there.

Plenty more to come as I replace the steering rack, rear axle bushes, fit the Mk4 calipers, do the rear wheel bearings and new discs/pads etc - all good fun :genius:

#23 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:34 PM

Then todays adventures ;D

After months of looking I finally happened upon the eBay bargain of the century last night. 4 16x7 BBS RX's with brand new Toyo T1-S tyres (215/40R16) for £250!!! Went down to collect them today and got them fitted, they are literally brand new, couldn't believe my luck.

Next on the agenda is the rear axle rebuild, mk4 calipers and a subtle 35mm drop on Weitec suspension:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Slowly getting there now :withstupid:

#24 Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,889 posts
  • Local Club: LCMOC

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:53 PM

loving it especially the fact ur going for weitecs ;D

#25 Pie

Pie

Crazy About Mini's

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,695 posts
  • Local Club: GoGoAuto

Posted 31 March 2009 - 02:08 PM

Nice one Tom. You thought about putting the crank position sensor inside some FP200 electrical wire casing? as the name suggests its 'Fire Proof' upto '200 degrees' Should certainly stop it melting in the future ;)

#26 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:40 PM

Well to be honest I don't anticipate it being on long enough to be a problem as the plan for 2010 is a 1.8T ;)

#27 minivanman

minivanman

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,454 posts
  • Local Club: Backstreet Minis

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:52 AM

I keep finding myself trawling through ebay, dribbling at the VRs. I think I'll have to sell a mini to get one though ;) Yours is looking great Tom, Its pretty much what I'd do if I got one >_<

#28 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:36 AM

Yeah I keep looking at VR's too, in fact I've been to look at a couple and very nearly bought one last thursday. However I changed my mind at the last minute because I keep thinking that there's nothing really wrong with the one I've got! Although the noise of the VR6 is something else >_<

Still plenty to do to mine, but I managed to pick up a complete rear axle with new discs, pads and bearings, complete with calipers and ABS sensors for £20! Pretty chuffed with that, just need to get it reconditioned, fit the new rear axle bushes and Mk4 calipers and get it bolted on ;)

#29 Pie

Pie

Crazy About Mini's

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,695 posts
  • Local Club: GoGoAuto

Posted 22 June 2009 - 10:20 AM

Stick an RS4 engine in it Tom ;)
Then youll never want a VR6 >_<

#30 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:01 PM

Just to let you know, I did buy a VR6 in the end and this car is now for sale - £1700 or near offer takes it away. Its got 13 months MOT, tax until february next year and I've probably spent near enough £1500 on it in the last year. Will make a great introduction to Corrados as I've sorted pretty much everything that goes wrong with them :)

Linky to advert

Thanks

Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users