#1 kmol468

kmol468

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 12:08 PM

Hi all,

Plese accept this as my thread for my irrelevant ramblings concerning my epic challenge - a 2.0 turbo engine from a sierra cosworth complete with a four wheel drive running gear! Sounds simple doesnt it!

I will let you know abit about me and the reasons why i want to do it, however you can skip this paragraph if you just want to see/hear my plans on how to do it and the car involved! Anyway, it all started with my first car, (7yrs ago) which was a 1973 tax exempt 1000cc mini, i did love it, as ive always found the minis to have 'character' rather than the majority of cars that seem to 'blend' in! Although a while I wanted to go quicker, so after a year of saving a bought a 1430 MED engine and it was the best car ive ever owned. Needless to say the 138bhp came with its own problems and it wasnt as reliable as i liked. The time came and I sold it for a more reliable but similarly quick Nissan Pulsar GTIR, but this drank petrol like it was going out of fashion, so i sold that for a chipped mk4 VW Golf. A compromise of them both, abit quick with reliability.
However there has always been apart of me that wanted a project to do, something different and it definately had to be quick to satisfy my need for speed. So I thought what best, a mini! Its lightweight, parts easily available etc etc however the engine would need replacing. This is where I decided I wanted four wheel drive, as with my old mini traction was hard to get and my Nissan had twice the power but very rarely had issues getting the power down. This was the point where i realised it wasnt going to be an easy project! lol
The Cosworth engine was chosen as I've always wanted a cosworth, but never liked the thought of cosworth insurance! Also I knew they were quite bullet proof engines that could handle power thrown at it!
So thats it, my mind was made, it was just a case of finding a tax exempt mini at a reasonable price and a sierra cosworth!

Months of looking for a mini finally paid off and I found one locally that fitted the criteria. Money changed hands and I am now cluttering up the drive with my new project, and here she is:
Posted Image
What a looker eh!! lol

Looking at the dimensions of minis and cosworths it appears that without going down the route of custom length drive shafts, the width of it needs to be extended by about 15cm each side, which i dont think will be unreasonable! I do concede the fact that a custom prop shalf will need to be sourced but i will worry about that when im at that stage!
So the plans are to gut the mini, by removing everything and getting rid of the parts. Needless to say I dont they would be up to the job of around 300+bhp. Although i will be keeping the front subframe for maybe modifying at a later date to help carry the cossy engine!

Ultimately I will be using everything from the cosworth, the loom, suspension, brakes, diffs, drive shafts..... oh and engine and gearbox!! However to help ease the space under the bonnet i wont be running a brake servo or power steering or ABS. Basically the plan is to create an all out stripped out racer, with little or no creature comforts, not even a heater! I can afford to do this as it will be my second car, used for when I want to put a smile on my face or wipe one off a smug porsche drivers face!

Some people question why im doing it and its quite hard for me to explain, however really my best times where spent driving my 1430cc mini. People thought it was going to fall to pieces as the straight cut gears rattled together but it always gave me a 'fuzzy' feeling when it accelerated hard, with the scatter cam 'kicking in' and everything began to sing. It made my hairs stand on end and made a grin appear on my face. I really did like driving and owning my mini, as it was a great little car but its simply wanting that 'feeling' back.

I know some might think that im not doing the right thing by not keep ing the a-series but my quest for power meant it had to go.

Anyhow I am in the very early stages of the project, as I have simply got a gutted mini sat on the drive waiting for parts! Hopefully the last of the mini bits will be gone this weekend and i can seriously think about buying a cosworth for all the parts that are needed. Once this is sorted i believe the project will move along abit quicker than it is at the moment. Needless to say the shell is abit sorry for itself at the moment but thinking about how much need to be cut out theres no point me trying to sort out all the rust as i dont know 100% how much i will have to cut out.

Heres a couple of pictures but more will be added tomorrow or tuesday as I take some proper pictures for you all to have a look at! (as i know how much pictures help people to enjoy a project thread!)

Drivers footwell:
Posted Image

Passengers footwell:
Posted Image

Engine bay:
Posted Image

Rear:
Posted Image

Rusty rear valance:
Posted Image

Passengers Side Rear Well: I dont think you should be able to see daylight should you!
Posted Image

So the plan broken down in simple steps is:
- Get a Cosworth
- Get a roll cage
- Strip cosworth and 'offer' engine and box up and see how much needs to be cut.
- Tube out the front to cradle the engine and box, support from the roll cage and existing subframe mounts, while incorporating strut tops, suspension, steering rack. Extended fibreglass flip front needed me thinks!
- Tube out the rear to house the rear diff and suspension, support from the roll cage and existing subframe mounts, while incorporate strut tops and suspension.
- Thin out the wiring harness and fit to mini
- Fit bucket seats x2
- Then drive - simple! lol

Then stage 2: Tune cosworth engine!!! i havent even thought about that though as I think i have quite abit to be thinking about already!

Future posts wont be as lengthy as ive proably bored everyone to tears already! Lol

However any advice/knowledge/similar conversions you know about will never be turned down. Feel free to comment away and as i say more pitures will be loaded soon.

Cheers and let me know what you think! (apart from how naff the green looks on my mini!)

Edited by kmol468, 03 May 2009 - 12:38 PM.

#2 Ro8bieg

Ro8bieg

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts
  • Local Club: Fylde Mini Club

Posted 03 May 2009 - 02:15 PM

looks like you've got a big challenge ahead.

Cant wait to see how this turns out >_<

Robbie

#3 richardsoniscool

richardsoniscool

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Local Club: Bury Mini Club

Posted 03 May 2009 - 02:38 PM

when done it will be interesting to say the very least, big project hope it comes together nicely, i will be watching >_<

Edited by richardsoniscool, 03 May 2009 - 02:38 PM.

#4 Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts
  • Local Club: LCMOC

Posted 03 May 2009 - 03:49 PM

hey fella im also a member of fiesta turbo .com and ive seen alot of people who have converted the fiesta mk3 to fit the cossy yb 2.0 turbo lump with AWD into the fezz

easiest option is get a sierra and cut the floor pan out and shorten and weld where the floor would be in the mini

the best option is to make a space frame chassis to hold the engine box and the lot in which case it will be considered a kit car and the insurance will be considerably less

anywho good look and if u need any help / advice send me a pm

#5 1987_ParkLane

1987_ParkLane

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,671 posts
  • Local Club: The Mini Forum

Posted 03 May 2009 - 03:52 PM

Wow, you have it all planned out don't you >_< , any idea how much this will all cost? I would love to do something like this :X .

#6 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 03 May 2009 - 04:08 PM

I've seen the XR4x4 V6 Ford Cologne engine and 4wd transmission fitted into a mini, though the radiator was in the boot. It was a feature in Miniworld several years ago IIRC. It's something worth looking into for ideas though >_<

#7 Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 04:11 PM

will have been the boa engine and the same transmission as the cossy tho ive been that engine twin turboed b4 v6 bi turbo hahaha

#8 Down&Out

Down&Out

The King Of Retro Cool

• Traders
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 04:47 PM

I love that mini. Colour is fantastic and its all 70s like >_<. Interesting project, just dont chav it up with crome rims of flake paint of anything...or i shall kill you :X.

#9 The_Mistro

The_Mistro

Farmer Barley Mow

• Members
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 04:53 PM

sounds like a proper project! i will be watching this! please keep the 850 badge!

#10 kmol468

kmol468

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 05:00 PM

thanks for the words of advice people. I knew of the v6 ford 4x4 mini and have tracked it down on the web for some light reading!
I think I will be trying to mate the sierra floor to the mini to help with mounting points etc.
I was thinking of purchasing a Cosworth for about 3-4k dependant on the spec, and then I was going to do the labour myself. So it should be around 5k to get it running by the time I messing around with things.
In terms of chaving it up, I would never do that! I was thinking about abit of a rat look, abit shabby but an absolute animal underneath. Abvipisly the arches might give of away abit, but that can't be helped I suppose. There might be carbon fibre splashed around but only due to it being lightweight!

#11 Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 05:25 PM

gonna be a nice en

you'll be happy to know im plannin on either rx8 conversion or 2.0 zetec turbo convo but i havent decided on either as i plan to keep the car whilst in uni and then once i have a carrer get the car done properly >_<

and burny wants to do a skyline convo which i think is gonna take along time but we think its possible

good luck

#12 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:05 PM

I reckon you should get on some salvage websites and sierra forums and try and find one that's been on it's roof. would be considerably cheaper than 4k. or there are loads of Na 2litre 4x4 sierras knocking about for £200 odd. Perhaps it would be better to chop one of those up, get it going and source the cossie lump later?
Looking forward to seeing this come together tho!

#13 kmol468

kmol468

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 06:44 PM

Alburglar - Yeah i was thinking of maybe getting a normal 4x4 sierra but i didnt know for sure if any of the drivetrain, brakes, were upgraded for the cosworth model!
As you say i think a trip to a ford forum will prove beneficial unless anyone knows???

Anyway I have finally stripped everything off of the shell and swept up 98% of the loose rust and dust that was in there! No joke, all that debris must have weighed a few kg's! :gimme:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:09 PM

I think you should start grinding away and make a list of bits to replace, patch or weld up

minis can be diff to weld near rust as can be very thin and just burn holes sayin that i used a 3 phases mig welder hahah

#15 dougie1142

dougie1142

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • Local Club: I.M.O.G

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:35 PM

Man this will be absoulutly amazing once its done, keep us updated! :goaway:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users