it's a good project :thumbsup:

#17 M44K TS

M44K TS

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 03:58 PM

You've got to keep the mini 850 badge when it's done!

#18 craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 06:17 PM

what a project >_< will be fun when it built, that is for sure.

The main differences between a cossy and non cossy are

rear LSD only fitted on cossys (and XR4x4's i think), most lower spec models only had rear drums rather than discs (XR4x4's did as id mk3 granada scorpios which some also have the LSD). At the font end, i think the brakes are cossy specific.

Gearbox wise, i am sure that the Cossy one is different to all of the others, but i think the prop shafts are interchangable.

I would go down the route of getting a lower spec model to chop up and weld in, but then look at getting a smashed cossy (if you can find one) to get at the cossy specific bits. That said, i would imagine that you would be looking to upgrade the brakes so it is mainly the engine/box and the wiring (unless you go for mega-squirt?)

Anyway, good luck with it :-

#19 kmol468

kmol468

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 06:27 PM

Thanks very much for filling me in on the different specs, it's appreciated.

The only benefit I thought of getting a cosworth is that I could drive it for a while and then I would have something to compare it to when it's all done.

Oh and I will be definately keeping the 850 badge! Although I think the rather large arches might be a give away!

I will post up some more pictures when I get either a roll cage or cosworth

#20 captainjack15

captainjack15

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 3,925 posts
  • Local Club: Somerset Rusteez

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:09 AM

Got the roll cage or the Cosworth yet??

#21 kmol468

kmol468

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 04:21 PM

No I haven't got either of them yet, I've been waiting for the right cosworth to come along. Plus I'm going on holiday this week so that's made a dent in the project fund!

But I want to start it soon to take advantage of the long sunny days! (hopefully we should have some more of them)

#22 Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,889 posts
  • Local Club: LCMOC

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:05 PM

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...bayphotohosting

#23 Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:06 PM

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...XR4...:1|294:50

#24 Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:07 PM

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...bayphotohosting

#25 Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:07 PM

there some options get bidding >_<

#26 ratty

ratty

Super Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 07:36 PM

I've built loads of Cosworth powered cars, expect all 2nd hand parts to be fubar and don't get fobbed off with XR or Granada parts at Sierra prices

XR don't come with a LSD and are 7" rear diff's

Granada Cosworth has a 7.5" LSD but smaller out put shafts compared to Sierra Cosworths 7.5" LSD

2wd Cosworth has a T5 gearbox 4x4 uses a MT75

Rear brake calipers on Sierra Cosworths as the same as used on the Granada, 4x4 Sierra Cosworth front calipers are the same as the Granada but 2wd Sierra's use 4 Pots

The Sierra Cosworth wiring loom is different depending on the year and ecu fitted, really the only thing in common with normal Sierra's is the name and floor pan on some cars but not all as the change depending on year and model

#27 clubmanreece

clubmanreece

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:40 PM

what a project :shifty: will be fun when it built, that is for sure.

The main differences between a cossy and non cossy are

rear LSD only fitted on cossys (and XR4x4's i think), most lower spec models only had rear drums rather than discs (XR4x4's did as id mk3 granada scorpios which some also have the LSD). At the font end, i think the brakes are cossy specific.

Gearbox wise, i am sure that the Cossy one is different to all of the others, but i think the prop shafts are interchangable.

I would go down the route of getting a lower spec model to chop up and weld in, but then look at getting a smashed cossy (if you can find one) to get at the cossy specific bits. That said, i would imagine that you would be looking to upgrade the brakes so it is mainly the engine/box and the wiring (unless you go for mega-squirt?)

Anyway, good luck with it :teehee:

IMO a 4x4 sierra would be better for the ratios... my mates dad has a dax rush with a cosworth yb lump puttin out around 450 bhp and 450 ft lb of torque... he uses the standard 4x4 with rear disc conversion diffs to limit his top speed and get better aceleration surely this would make sense in a mini... a saphire cossie does around 150 mph max half the weight (in the minis case) surely this will ad anove 20 mph despite the un aerodynamics of a mini? not a good speed to be doin in a biscuit tin.... what does anyone else think?

#28 Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 10:05 PM

id limit the top speed by the tyre rating as they tend to go bang at 150mph hahaha if v rated that is

id limit it for deffo as otherwise ud keep going to 170 and that wouldnt be wise

#29 kmol468

kmol468

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 10:17 PM

I think limiting the top speed will be the last think to think about. I want to get it built first and then I can mess around with diff ratios and wheel/tyre circumference.
Although it will be built with drag racing and track use in mind so I don't think the 170mph top speed will be required!

#30 Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 10:21 PM

but u have rule it out
gartrag boxes are very good for the cossy

the t5 box and theres alot or sweedish and german tunners making good ralley boxies

the ratio / final drive is key shame i didn know the scrappy i was at had a t5 box with short ratios and sold for 90 quid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users