someone needs to train them all ???

#214 spiguy

spiguy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 11:27 AM

Hope it's OK to post to this thread, just got round to reading through it the last day or two. It made me wonder one thing - there is a part which mentions that use of pattern panels and patching to MOT standard is acceptable. However, is there any issue with people making up their own repair sections - eg something like an inner sill, a box section (eg crossmember) a boot floor corner etc.  You see alot of people doing this, and I have done this to an extent myself. Just wondered if that falls foul since you are repairing the shell, but not with commercially available repair panels as such (ie when you make up your own repair sections).

#215 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 11:40 AM

Hope it's OK to post to this thread, just got round to reading through it the last day or two. It made me wonder one thing - there is a part which mentions that use of pattern panels and patching to MOT standard is acceptable. However, is there any issue with people making up their own repair sections - eg something like an inner sill, a box section (eg crossmember) a boot floor corner etc.  You see alot of people doing this, and I have done this to an extent myself. Just wondered if that falls foul since you are repairing the shell, but not with commercially available repair panels as such (ie when you make up your own repair sections).

The repair needs to be as strong as, or stronger than the original. 

If you are cutting out areas where the panel wasn't joined originally it must be seam welded.

If it's done correctly no-one will be able to tell anyway

Take this as an example

P1050858_zps926f65cd.jpg

It's from this thread.

http://www.theminifo...rebuild/page-26

Once the floor is stone chipped and painted the repair will be invisible and it is to a good enough standard so that it is as good as, or better than new

#216 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 14 November 2014 - 12:14 PM

Landrovers seem to be making most of the case history. I'm sure I've read that adding outriggers to their chassis is acceptible, so you can add to the original structure as long as you retain or repair the bits as the factory intended.

Cutting big lumps off the shell is what's likely to attract attention - soft tops, sprints, shorties....

#217 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 06:26 PM

P1050858_zps926f65cd.jpg

^^^ nice ^^^  :wub:

#218 fan of the mini

fan of the mini

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 11:35 AM

Hi, I'm a noobie to restoration.

The reason for asking these questions are I've not yet bought a Mini and have only been made aware of this problem by reading posts on this site. So well done.

If I'm trying to restore a Mini back to it's original condition, do I fall foul of these regulations.

Example a MK1 would be hard to find original parts, so are BMH panels or another make be classed as being original, or would I have to repair the panels that are on the MIni that already.

A replacement correct sized  A series engine could it replace another engine thats not correct or missing.

Would altering it back be classed as modifying, because a lot of whats for sale have some modifications added over the years.

#219 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 06:36 PM

quote 'If I'm trying to restore a Mini back to it's original condition, do I fall foul of these regulations.'

if you are using the original shell , & there are no changes from how the original car was sold (mot standard repairs accepted)

then the IVA , BIVA is not required

Chop the roof , de seam , make a kit , etc , then you need advise from VOSA / DSVA , what ever they are called today

and the advise seems to vary depending who you get on the end of the phone

so a standard restoration will only need an MOT test

#220 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 03:58 PM

(not sure why this came to my attention 6 months late O_O )

Yes, you can repair a Mk1 with later parts. A manufacturer's parts catalogue would be a supporting reference if it states "NLA - use such 'n such a part number". 

It's all about keeping to the approval standards that apply to the vehicle - i.e. having enough of the original for it to be considered the same car and maintaining the whole car close enough to original standard that was tested and approved for use on the road. Either at the time of manufacture or to later improvements that were made to the same model.

#221 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 09:50 PM

I missed this - http://www.ebay.co.u...JgAAOxyJX9SIHWs

so fog lights need an auto cancel after lights turned off , so they arn't on all the time the main lights are on ?

I will make my fog light switch into a Momentary switch , switching a relay feed by main light circuit ,

when lights turned off , relay switches off , and don't energise when lights switched on again , until fog light switch is switched again ?

have I got this right ? - will use the tell tail on the switch the same as feed to the light ?

I don't need the £xpensive box from ebay - just a relay ?

has anyone used the o/s reverse light as the foglight ? - or is it claimed to be too close to the tail light (some modern cars are the same & they are ok?)

Edited by sledgehammer, 30 October 2015 - 09:52 PM.

#222 Archived2

Archived2

One Carb Or Two?

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 11:54 PM

Relay with the feed as suggested is fine.

#223 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 10:03 AM

The reverse is too close to the brake to legally be a fog light, you could stick one in the bottom of your rear window and use it as both. Rear fog must only turn on if the headlights are on and have a tell-tale for the driver. It doesn't have to reset to off on turning the lights off.

#224 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 03:30 PM

Rear fog must only turn on if the headlights are on and have a tell-tale for the driver. It doesn't have to reset to off on turning the lights off.

Ethel , they changed that in 2013 - https://www.gov.uk/g...tion_manual.pdf

1) The rear fog lamp(s) may continue to operate until the position lamps are switched off, and the rear fog lamp(s)

must then remain off until deliberately switched on again

- they are changing the rules quicker than I am making the car

It's annoying I can't use the reverse - even thou some modern cars have it in the light cluster

I wanted a neat look for the back end

Edited by sledgehammer, 31 October 2015 - 03:33 PM.

#225 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 03:46 PM

Thanks for the update.

That won't apply to us as all Minis are older, unless you're going through IVA.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (2)