259 replies to this topic

#241 Archived2

Archived2

One Carb Or Two?

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 12:56 PM

I'm doing the pedals at the moment , (moved slightly due to different steering column)

I want to put steel 4mm checker plate , as a pedal surface & a bit bigger , wide plug welded to original pedal 4 or 6  places - just the clutch & brake

as the rubbers fall off even if glued with contact glue - always did on every mini I have had !

also I wear steel toe cap boots a lot , so bigger pedals will be easier to drive

the throttle will stay the same , and is over to the right & lower - away from brake (don't want to hit throttle when braking)

the checker plate is very non slip

will this pass an BIVA - or what ever it is called this week

I can't see this as an issue but it's down to the discretion of the inspector on the day. All of my first IVA inspections have been fails. Passed on the second after following guidance from that exact inspector.

All the best with your test

Edited by minihobbymini, 04 October 2016 - 01:41 PM.

#242 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 01:17 PM

thanks for the quick reply

#243 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 01:41 PM

You can answer that yourself by carefully reading the IVA testers manual. But you have many more things than these few items to worry about.

#244 mk1coopers

mk1coopers

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 05:45 AM

I'm really surprised that no one has updated this thread with the news that the VHI draft papers for modified cars are out (in relation to the MOT not being a requirement for standard 40 year old cars, or those done pre 1988 with proof).

https://www.gov.uk/g...storic-interest

Edited by mk1coopers, 03 December 2018 - 06:06 PM.

#245 mk1coopers

mk1coopers

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 11:11 AM

Her are the final results of the criteria for 'substantially changed', remember the rules for registration (or radically altered builds) for a vehicle are unchanged, this is only for MOT exemption. I think it's not a bad result as previously putting a 998 in a 850 would have taken you out of the exemption, now (within reason) you should be able to lightly modify a car and still exempt, or you can continue to test voluntarily

https://www.gov.uk/g...ge-guidance.pdf

#246 minimans

minimans

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 06:13 PM

The part of the above rules regarding type of suspention doesn't bode well for all those coil spring conversions does it?

#247 Archived2

Archived2

One Carb Or Two?

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 08:18 PM

If the suspension has been altered then an mot test is a wise yearly option anyway, Personally I wouldn’t skip an mot test... exempt or not.

I wonder if insurance companies will Persue a “discount” policy for classics that have an mot? I can certainly see an increased premium on those that don’t in one way or another

#248 mk1coopers

mk1coopers

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 04:36 PM

The trouble with insurance company's offering a discount is that the amount would have to be greater than the cost of the test for (some) people to consider it worthwhile spending out on an MOT

Edited by mk1coopers, 28 December 2017 - 04:37 PM.

#249 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 28 December 2017 - 04:58 PM

The trouble with insurance company's offering a discount is that the amount would have to be greater than the cost of the test for (some) people to consider it worthwhile spending out on an MOT

Obviously, it’s a personal decision, all I know is if I had an accident and there was a question on fault I'd want every helpful element I could lay my hands on. If I had a car that didn't need an MOT I wouldn't want the roadworthiness questioned because I hadn't had it done. I'd want to show I'd taken all the steps I could to drive a well looked after vehicle with a current MOT to back up my case.

#250 Archived2

Archived2

One Carb Or Two?

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 05:23 PM

Obviously, it’s a personal decision, all I know is if I had an accident and there was a question on fault I'd want every helpful element I could lay my hands on. If I had a car that didn't need an MOT I wouldn't want the roadworthiness questioned because I hadn't had it done. I'd want to show I'd taken all the steps I could to drive a well looked after vehicle with a current MOT to back up my case.

This^^^^^

#251 mk3 Cooper S

mk3 Cooper S

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 12:11 PM

interesting read on this topic

http://www.volkszone...ad.php?t=743208

guy amended his V5 and got called in for a vehicle inspection , ended up with his V5 taken away and asked for his IVA certificate before they will issue him with his new Q reg

The guy had a non chassis stamped floor pan (from another vehicle?) Shortened it and fitted a different body - Then can't understand why he gets called in for an IVA and gets a Q plate?

This is the reason that IVA - BIVA was introduced alongside Q plates.

#252 Keith234moto

Keith234moto

Starting My Mini Up

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 10:28 PM

Hi is Wood and Pickett closed? Looking to know about a mpi steering wheel boss? Any help thanks

#253 Tones61

Tones61

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 06:34 PM

Hi is Wood and Pickett closed? Looking to know about a mpi steering wheel boss? Any help thanks

If fitting an after market wheel,you will need a boss for an mgtf airbag model,and shave a bit of the cowling

#254 chuee

chuee

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 05 June 2022 - 02:26 PM

I would like to replace the wings on my 1992 with side-indicator free. Is that going to affect MOT and also, modifications law, in your opinion?

#255 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 05 June 2022 - 02:48 PM

I would like to replace the wings on my 1992 with side-indicator free. Is that going to affect MOT and also, modifications law, in your opinion?

Any car post 1st April 1986 will require a side repeater to be fitted, so if you fit wings without the provision you will need to add some "E" marked units elsewhere legally.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users