#31 Amy-Leigh

Amy-Leigh

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:34 PM

i found it >_< '87.

a lot of companies wont insure that cheap either if your care is pre '80 because they have to register it as a classic or something.

they can put you on an ordinary system of the car is after '80.... which seems stupid.

(i was told this my Aloc? aka the guy i was put through to for my insurance) ;D

Is it 1972 or something i think it is. Just looking for my first Mini. I'm 22.

#32 HafMan

HafMan

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:13 PM

Insurance for yound people is stupid.
Im paying around £1700 fully comp, I thought I could go TPFT and it was £3360!!!!!!
Work that one out. >_<

#33 Amy-Leigh

Amy-Leigh

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:21 PM

It's all the nobs on the roads that put it up. If everyone from 17 to say 30 could actually drive sensibly then we would all be much better off! I'm proper into my Motorbikes and would love something like an R1 in a few years but but i can't and won't be able to till im pushing 30 because i just can't afford to insure one. Makes me very angry. All us youngies should just go on strike and drive round with no insurance! :highfive:

#34 CCX

CCX

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:50 AM

Does anyone here have any experience with getting a quote for an MPi Cooper? That's what I'm looking at getting when I pass my test, and so far I haven't had much luck - mainstream insurers charge thousands, and I won't be able to get classic car insurance because they won't insure under 25s. If so, who did you go with/how much did it cost. Thanks.

#35 purple_fly06

purple_fly06

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • Local Club: The Mini Foresters

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:23 AM

No, but i imagine it will be ridiculously expensive :blink:

i found it >_< '87.

a lot of companies wont insure that cheap either if your care is pre '80 because they have to register it as a classic or something.

they can put you on an ordinary system of the car is after '80.... which seems stupid.

(i was told this my Aloc? aka the guy i was put through to for my insurance) ;D

Is it 1972 or something i think it is. Just looking for my first Mini. I'm 22.

Your car is tax free if it is 1972 (pre '73) and i think a lot of insurance companies go on cars made after 1980, my old mini was 1980 and a lot of insurance companies wouldnt insure me because it was '80. They said they would if it was '81 though. :crazy:

hence why my old insurance was £2200 :cry:

I think we should get all of the corsa's, clios and all the other boy racer type cars off the road ;D

#36 CCX

CCX

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:51 AM

You'd be right. >_<

#37 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:42 AM

You'd be right. >_<

My Grandson is 17 and passed his test 3 weeks ago. We live in the country which I'm sure lowers the premium a bit, but on his beautiful 1997 MPI Cooper, with me as a named driver he is paying £1500 TPFT with AVIVA. However, it had to be paid all up-front - no monthly installments. Welcome to Grandad's bank account! You know, about the only advantage of being old is the cost of car insurance. I've just got the renewal notice for my 2.5 litre BMW 325i, fully comp with 26-years NCB and it's going to cost me all of £181-00. That's for a full year, not per month! My wife's Mondeo TDCi Ghia is also due and that's £144-00 for the year fully comp.

Edited by Cooperman, 12 April 2012 - 11:42 AM.

#38 CCX

CCX

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:55 PM

You'd be right. >_<

My Grandson is 17 and passed his test 3 weeks ago. We live in the country which I'm sure lowers the premium a bit, but on his beautiful 1997 MPI Cooper, with me as a named driver he is paying £1500 TPFT with AVIVA. However, it had to be paid all up-front - no monthly installments. Welcome to Grandad's bank account! You know, about the only advantage of being old is the cost of car insurance. I've just got the renewal notice for my 2.5 litre BMW 325i, fully comp with 26-years NCB and it's going to cost me all of £181-00. That's for a full year, not per month! My wife's Mondeo TDCi Ghia is also due and that's £144-00 for the year fully comp.

Don't make me jealous! If only insurance was that cheap for us young drivers. Anyway, thanks for the information. £1500 is not bad, and by the sounds of it AVIVA is one of the cheapest insurers to have for a Mini. Plus, I'm hoping to get some driving experience (and build up a no claims bonus) before buying my own Mini and insuring it, because if I want an MPi Cooper that's my only option. I will try AVIVA sometime, and see what quote I get with me as the main driver and my parents as named drivers.

#39 86mayfair

86mayfair

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:57 PM

Well, you don't have to have an MPi Cooper, there are others which are cheeper to buy and insure... plus I don't understand all that new-fangled injection stuff anyway ;D

#40 tomtaylor1994

tomtaylor1994

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Local Club: DCMOC

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

You'd be right. >_<

I just tried aviva TPFT on my '98 MPI non-cooper, with both parents as named drivers and it came up as £3800. I hate having to find insurance :/

#41 Matt29992

Matt29992

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Wanderers/Charnwood Minis

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:21 PM

Where you live also has a massive affect on insurance, its £250 more expensive to be insured in Leicester rather than uni O_O Such a scam!

#42 86mayfair

86mayfair

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:08 PM

Ah crap, apparently it's Equity Red Star that have stopped doing under 25s with Footman James... Guess who I'm with! :mmkay:
Apparently the replacement under writer is quoting people 2 or 3 hundred more too >_<

#43 JackF

JackF

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Local Club: NSMOC

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:27 PM

I have bought a 998 Mini City E with a few mods. I'm 17 in a week and I intend to learn to drive in it. Some quotes are stupidly expensive.

For a new driver, wheres best to go looking for insurance?

#44 jamiestevenbell

jamiestevenbell

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:02 PM

try grayham sykes there service is faultless, i cant reccomend them enough i hav 2years ncb fully comp, on my mini that now has a 95bhp 1293motor with a full negative camber kit, alloys, flared arches, spax dampers. Plus lots more all declared £585

#45 tomtaylor1994

tomtaylor1994

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:17 PM

I have bought a 998 Mini City E with a few mods. I'm 17 in a week and I intend to learn to drive in it. Some quotes are stupidly expensive.

For a new driver, wheres best to go looking for insurance?

Give provisional marmalade a look on the Internet.
That's who I was insured with whilst learning (:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users