Photo

Can't We Have Our Own Section? Van/pickup Related.

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#16 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

Of course there will be non LWB members that will not want or like this

Errr no, why would we not like this?

It's just a bit pointless

Edited by megamini_jb, 07 February 2013 - 07:27 PM.

#17 Gadgets

Gadgets

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:42 PM

In what way my man? prey do tell.

Edited by Gadgets, 07 February 2013 - 07:51 PM.

#18 ChrisCityE

ChrisCityE

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

It would be nice to see all the projects in one place, I have to be honest that having seen a concours 68 done, a custom 91, a standard 86 Chelsea and 90 Cooper within my own garage I don't care for saloon rebuilds - there isn't ever anything new.

LWB minis on the other hand do funky stuff with the extra space and I like seeing solutions like speakers in estates, storage in the rear of a van etc.

#19 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:21 PM

But there are so many parts of the LWB variants that are common to all minis, that the section would inevitably get filled with issues that are not specific to LWB models. Just look at the fuel injection specific section, it gets filled with posts that are nothing at all to do with fuel injection related issues. People just post everything about their car there, simply because they have a fuel injection model.

#20 ryan22_lgm

ryan22_lgm

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Local Club: north devon mini register

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

I think a van section would be a very good idea as they do tend to disappear from the top fairly quickly and you have to look through a few pages to find them. LWB is good too! Pickups and estates welcome! Saying that there is minipickup.org why not make minivan.org ?

#21 mk3 Cooper S

mk3 Cooper S

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:19 PM

How about :
LWB for Vans, estates, contryman's, pick ups, woodies and travellers
Variants for Hornets, Elf's. Domino's. Marcos, Moke, Scamp's etc
Clubman for - obviously clubmans
Classic for roundnoses

Edited by mk3 Cooper S, 07 February 2013 - 10:20 PM.

#22 SAL 821X

SAL 821X

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts
  • Local Club: Leicester Mini Owners Club

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:29 PM

All fairly interest points being objected from both sides.

If there should become a section i agree it should be for all types of long wheel base models.

I dont agree that all the questions would be the same as saloons though. I would like to think that it would only generate questions regarded to LWB as at the end of the day you would get a bigger response from the saloon sections.

I guess a splinter forum could be an option. BUT i for one really like TMF as a forum both in design, members and content. If i ment following another forum i dont think i would follow this one as much.

I just wish it where a little more specific to my chosen choice of mini.

Have we had any thoughts from the admin team yet? On my phone so cant tell.

Matt

#23 conlad

conlad

Previously known as ct16mini.

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts
  • Local Club: Hilltop Minis

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:35 PM

I don't own a van...

But a sub section just for vans and the LWB etc would make sense

A clubman is no different than front panels so that's still a saloon

Vans etc are different in panels and projects like diglers are so different and an epic read

#24 Gadgets

Gadgets

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:50 PM

I agree conlad.

#25 snackey

snackey

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:50 PM

In my honest opinion, there're two basic models produced, being the saloon mini and the lwb mini. Segregating this any more would be undoable since there've been cointless variations!

Personally, I like to check out other builds for inspiration mostly. I agree most technical Q&A are the same for all types of minis.
Therefore, the separated LWB section should be just a normal "complete rebuild" section, only type specific.

Obviously the number of lwb-owners doesn't come close to that of saloons. Hence the lack of demand I guess...

#26 ChrisCityE

ChrisCityE

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:02 PM

I think a van section would be a very good idea as they do tend to disappear from the top fairly quickly and you have to look through a few pages to find them. LWB is good too! Pickups and estates welcome! Saying that there is minipickup.org why not make minivan.org ?

I started building a new MiniVanRegister last year on Rapidweaver, just didn't know how to host it.

#27 SAL 821X

SAL 821X

• Members
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:11 AM

To be totally blunt about it, I don't think there's enough demand for it. Plus if we do this, do we also have a Clubby section, Estate section, Woody section, Pickup section.... I think it'll segregate the forum too much as there are already a LOT of sections on here.

Disagree with that one The Matt sorry. In my opinion there is total demand for it as it would make life much more simples if the projects section was split into:

Saloons - roundnose, mokes, scamps and clubbys.

LWB - Vans, Estates, pick ups, Woodys.

Mini Engine Projects.

Jap hair dryer engined projects.

Any other projects.

So at the end of the day it only adding one little line of code into the website isn't it?????

#28 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

I dont agree that all the questions would be the same as saloons though. I would like to think that it would only generate questions regarded to LWB as at the end of the day you would get a bigger response from the saloon sections.

You might like to think that, but take a look at the fuel injection specific section that already exists here, and look at how few posts actually relate to fuel Injection issues. Unfortunately people post all manner of generic classic mini problems and questions in there, just because the particular car in question happens to be a Spi or Mpi!

I agree that sub dividing the projects section wouldn't be a bad idea just to give it a bit more structure and help people find the types if projects that they are interested in. But I think that sub dividing the problems/questions and technical section is a bad idea. If that's going to be subdivided at all, it really should be broken down into types of problems, not types of cars that problems happen to concern.

Edited by AVV IT, 08 February 2013 - 02:49 PM.

#29 ShoutforJoy

ShoutforJoy

One Carb Or Two?

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+, Automatic Mini Register

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

Some of these arguments sound more-or-less the same as those made when a new section for automatics was requested a few years ago. In that case a separate forum was created that has attracted a few less than 500 members in 3 years. It's a great place to get sound advice on the automatic transmission but can be poor at times for other more generic problems. Most people on it are member of other forums where these kind of questions can get answered more quickly and comprehensively. A separate forum is not necessarily a good idea.

Personally I think that improving the search functionality (using filters, sections, date ranges etc) is what we really need.

#30 SAL 821X

SAL 821X

• Members
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

Hold we seem to be digressing I'm only talking about have a LWB section on the projects thread not splitting the hole forum.

Edited by SAL 821X, 08 February 2013 - 04:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users