#2071 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 23 December 2018 - 11:21 PM

As its Christmas time and there seams to be a lot of additional food around I seam to have got an endless stream of stupid questions lately about my diabetes.

Just to put some context to the following, I am type 1. Have been since I was two years old, I'm 5'9" and weigh around 9.5 stone.

The following is a list of stupid questions/statements I've heard and the answers I've given to them. I'd love to know where some of these questions came from.

Q. Is yours the high or low type?
A. There is no such thing. A diabetic or healthy persons sugar levels fluctuate constantly. Difference is, is that a healthy person can maintain theirs, a diabetic person requires injections to do this. I once had a person tell me "don't lie, my uncle has diabetes so I know" to my answer.

Q. Did your mum give you loads of sugar as a kid. Is that why you have diabetes?
A. First of all f*** you for even daring to suggest that this is the fault of my parents. Second, sugar does not cause diabetes.

Q. How do you inject yourself? I couldn't do that.
A. I'm right handed so normally I use my right hand. Yes you could inject yourself because if you didn't you are going to end up in hospital or best case scenario be put on an insulin pump.

Q. You shouldn't be eating that.
A. I'm going hypo you idiot, that's why I'm eating it. Stop telling me what I should or should not be eating and help me.

Q. I couldn't live without chocolate.
A. I don't

Q. Your diabetic. Are you allowed to drink (said to me usually when I have a pint in my hand). It's not good for you.
A. Your not diabetic and yet according to the NHS alcohol is not good for you either.

Q. Were you born with it?
A. No

Q. But your not fat?
A. Cheers. I'm type 1 and diabetes existed before the obesity epidemic occurred.

Q. Why aren't you carrying your insulin with you. What do I do if you collapse?
A. *thinking to myself* leaving it at home was probably the right decision today.

Q. I know you can't have sugar so I made you this fruit salad instead of the chocolate pudding.
A. Thanks... *while giving myself the same dosage of insulin that I would have taken for the Chocolate pudding because of the syrup that the fruit cocktail was sitting in and quietly developing a sense of hatred towards that person*

Q. Can I stick it in you (referring to my insulin pen)?
A. No you f***ing psycho.

Q. Can I watch? (it always seams to be women that ask me this)
A. Sure I guess.

And finally my favourite I once heard someone say to my mates girlfriend Cathy who is also diabetic.

Q. But your too pretty to be diabetic!
Cathy. Erm... Thanks I guess.
Me. Aww

#2072 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts
  • Local Club: Not One Worth Mentioning

Posted 24 December 2018 - 11:42 AM

The following is a list of stupid questions/statements I've heard and the answers I've given to them. I'd love to know where some of these questions came from.

Ignorance is merely the lack of knowledge - stupidity is the inability or unwillingness to acquire knowledge.

Many people don't know the difference between Hyperglycemia & Hypoglycemia-

Hyperglycemia -high blood sugar level  :a hallmark sign of type 1 & 2 diabetes

Hypoglycemia  -low blood sugar level    :not always associated with diabetes

I'm not diabetic, but i am Hypoglycemic. My blood sugar level rises & falls quicker than a male bunnies backside in the spring.

I probably consume more sugar in a week than most people have in a month & i'm supposed to carry glucose tablets with me at all times.

#2073 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Local Club: Northwest Casual Classics

Posted 26 December 2018 - 02:10 PM

Haven't seen any kids on new bikes the Christmas

#2074 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 05:50 PM

I've been working on the mini today and so created this:

2q1me5.jpg

#2075 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 10:27 PM

Does anyone actually know what a 'triple polar vortex is'?

It's all over the media at the minute and people seam to be loosing their mind about it yet I have the sneaking suspicion most people don't have a clue what it means. It's just fancy sounding scientific words to describe something we have experienced before.

#2076 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 07:47 AM

Ignorance is merely the lack of knowledge - stupidity is the inability or unwillingness to acquire knowledge.

Many people don't know the difference between Hyperglycemia & Hypoglycemia-

Hyperglycemia -high blood sugar level  :a hallmark sign of type 1 & 2 diabetes

Hypoglycemia  -low blood sugar level    :not always associated with diabetes

I'm not diabetic, but i am Hypoglycemic. My blood sugar level rises & falls quicker than a male bunnies backside in the spring.

I probably consume more sugar in a week than most people have in a month & i'm supposed to carry glucose tablets with me at all times.

Same here, I get early signs of hypo 2 or 3 times a day, but I don't eat fast sugars to get past it, I've got these slow sugar biscuits, for me eating less sugar allows me to suffer a lot less. 

#2077 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 04 January 2019 - 10:36 AM

Does anyone actually know what a 'triple polar vortex is'?

It's all over the media at the minute and people seam to be loosing their mind about it yet I have the sneaking suspicion most people don't have a clue what it means. It's just fancy sounding scientific words to describe something we have experienced before.

80_1_large.jpg

#2078 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 07:49 PM

This blooming January sale lark is doing my head in...

Firstly I went to boots they don't sell boots

I then went to curry's they don't sell curry

went to selfridges they don't sell fridges

And that Virgin Megastore ...

what a let down that was...

#2079 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 06:28 PM

If money is supposedly the route of all evil why do churches pass a collection plate round at the end and ask for donations?

#2080 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 05:03 PM

When we finally have all self driving cars, is there going to be a horn button for impatient riders?

Edited by xrocketengineer, 23 January 2019 - 11:06 PM.

#2081 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts
  • Local Club: Not One Worth Mentioning

Posted 23 January 2019 - 10:12 PM

Will every autonomous vehicle built have to pass a driving test?.... & does it have a sensor to detect when the examiner slaps his clipboard on the dash?

#2082 greenwheels

greenwheels

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Fixers

Posted 23 January 2019 - 10:35 PM

If you're in a traffic queue behind an autonomous car and your car gives it a gentle push, will it turn around and start an argument?

Edited by greenwheels, 24 January 2019 - 10:21 AM.

#2083 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 11:15 PM

If you're in a traffic queue behind an autonomous car and or car gives it a gentle push, will it turn around and start an argument?

The autonomous cars involved will probably exchange text messages. A human driver will probably receive a court summons. It will be his word against it's data and sensors.

Edited by xrocketengineer, 24 January 2019 - 12:10 AM.

#2084 greenwheels

greenwheels

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Fixers

Posted 24 January 2019 - 10:23 AM

If you're in a traffic queue behind an autonomous car and or car gives it a gentle push, will it turn around and start an argument?

The autonomous cars involved will probably exchange text messages. A human driver will probably receive a court summons. It will be his word against it's data and sensors.

If two autonomous cars employ autonomous solicitors and barristers and take each other to court who will pay the autonomous bills?

#2085 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 08:37 PM

Has anyone ever actually tripped over their own shoe laces?

I mean I've stood on mine and either I realise I have to put my foot back down or they simply come undone. My Gran is always having a go at me for not doing my laces up when they are. It's just the design of my boots.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users