Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:01 AM

Looking good!

Is that floor fabricated by hand?

Ben

Was gonna ask the same question, as the tunnel is square!!! I'll be watching this closely as I need all the inspiration I can with my basketcase, and as getting parts here to Barbados is VERY expensive, think we'll have to do a lot of hand fabrication.

Looks like the consensus is that it's custom. I can gladly take more pictures of the floor next time I check up on the car at the body shop if you'd like. 

#17 roadhouse

roadhouse

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:04 AM

Ordered an oil sump baffle plate for the motor. Pretty cheap insurance to combat oil starvation while on track.

_572_zps5c158636.jpg

Edited by roadhouse, 18 August 2014 - 01:04 AM.

#18 duds100

duds100

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:52 AM

I fitted one to mine that looks identical to this last week. Easy job   :proud:

#19 roadhouse

roadhouse

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:06 PM

I fitted one to mine that looks identical to this last week. Easy job   :proud:

Good to know!

#20 roadhouse

roadhouse

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:51 PM

Not much new to report. Body shop is making progress but don't have any new pics. They are working on a welded 4 pt roll bar and how to properly brace it. Hoping to get over and get some pictures in the next few weeks.

Drama with the engine... I was scammed  :mmkay:  Luckily I took all the proper safeguards when purchasing said engine and was given a full refund through PayPal. Haven't found a suitable replacement yet. 

#21 roadhouse

roadhouse

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 05:43 PM

The body shop has been making some progress on the mini. She even got some primer yesterday! We are hoping to have final paint in about a month if everything else goes smoothly. The body shop still needs to do some work on the doors (one needs a new skin), they are installing a custom 4 pt roll bar, and all the body panels need to be fitted. We are going to check out the car later this week and hopefully decide on final paint colors.

We also purchased a '03 5PW R1 engine and wiring harness yesterday off of eBay yesterday. Let's hope this one is real! If this engine doesn't pan out then I'm taking it as a sign that this car isn't meant to have an R1 in it...lol.

Here are some pictures from the body shop: 

Filling some holes

IMG_3034_zpsrcftxehp.jpg

Rough fender cut

IMG_5586_zpsegmpj52s.jpg

Patch welded above the fender

IMG_4565_zpsze7gxmfa.jpg

No more rust!

IMG_0745_zpsts3xq59y.jpg

IMG_9574_zpsvdnoxqcl.jpg

IMG_1363_zpslqwmrrkh.jpg

IMG_2082_zpsofdznz6m.jpg

IMG_3072_zpsz2oud7zq.jpg

Clean fender cut

IMG_4752_zpsmkirag0q.jpg

IMG_3390_zpscpkpy7me.jpg

Grill is starting to look decent again

IMG_8266_zpswmtftvsz.jpg

Ready for primer

IMG_5447_zpskq0puj5t.jpg

Primed

IMG_26597463047517_zpsmigp3aw0.jpeg

Subframes blasted. They have since been primed. 

20140720_133441_zpsrcmbik00.jpg

Edited by roadhouse, 27 October 2014 - 05:45 PM.

#22 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

Has a small thing but it does make a difference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts
  • Local Club: MOCKZN

Posted 27 October 2014 - 06:13 PM

Looks good and solid again.

#23 roadhouse

roadhouse

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 04:09 PM

Body shop still making progress. They started working on the doors the other day. We knew one was pretty bad so we already had a new skin ordered for it. After taking them apart it's pretty apparent they will need some metal work done as there are some missing pieces. Hopefully the other door should be easy. Headed to the blaster then they'll get started on the metal work. 

We are heading up to the look at the mini this weekend and check out some paint swatches so I'll have more pictures soon. 

Engine showed up earlier this week. It's REAL!! Also picked up a cheap power commander on ebay. 

Edited by roadhouse, 06 November 2014 - 04:14 PM.

#24 roadhouse

roadhouse

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 03:50 PM

Here is the engine. Could probably stand a good cleaning but she'll do!

unnamed1_zpsbc1808ea.jpg

The body shop has started working on the doors now. One of the doors was in pretty decent shape but the other one (shown here) is ROUGH. If it wasn't so expensive to get a new door I would probably just buy a new one, but this one is fixable and will end up being cheaper than a new one. Hopefully there is still some metal left after going to the blaster! We've got a new skin ready to go on

image3_zpsf3fd6d9e.jpg

image4_zpsb687f14c.jpg

My wife has started looking at paint ideas and color chips. Right now this is the teal color she is going for. I think it's going to look awesome with a white roof and bonnet stripes...

image1_zpsd3082a41.png

image2_zps90fdabe9.png

Couple pics of the shell. They will block and primer a few more times before she is ready for final paint. We went ahead and ordered flares, grille, and bumpers so we can test fit everything prior to painting. 

image5_zps4f2b0f81.jpg

image6_zps8d06ed67.jpg

#25 roadhouse

roadhouse

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 07:46 PM

For the last couple days I've been working on a spreadsheet to document all the parts for the car that have been purchased thus far, along with figuring out all the various pieces that will be needed to put the body of the car back together. Trying to stay organized on a large build like this...

I just placed a HUGE order of bolts, nuts, and fixings with minispares. It's a monumental task figuring out every bolt that is needed to construct this car but I think I'm in good shape with the body. Their diagrams were extremely helpful. Now why did I think it was a good idea to build a car that started out as a bare shell with no parts??  :D

Edited by roadhouse, 13 November 2014 - 08:14 PM.

#26 Helldriver

Helldriver

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 04:38 PM

For the last couple days I've been working on a spreadsheet to document all the parts for the car that have been purchased thus far, along with figuring out all the various pieces that will be needed to put the body of the car back together. Trying to stay organized on a large build like this...

I just placed a HUGE order of bolts, nuts, and fixings with minispares. It's a monumental task figuring out every bolt that is needed to construct this car but I think I'm in good shape with the body. Their diagrams were extremely helpful. Now why did I think it was a good idea to build a car that started out as a bare shell with no parts??  :D

maybe it is a good idea to get a 2nd mini with a wrotten shell but technic is exceptable. Saves a lot money on all this little bits and maybe a better door comes with it.

Will do the same as I bought a real rust free race car shell (cage etc. already in) without engine and also miss all this little bits to complete it. Also a bunch of good and cheap replacement parts is something breaks down.

Edited by Helldriver, 15 November 2014 - 04:43 PM.

#27 roadhouse

roadhouse

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 05:20 PM

maybe it is a good idea to get a 2nd mini with a wrotten shell but technic is exceptable. Saves a lot money on all this little bits and maybe a better door comes with it.

Will do the same as I bought a real rust free race car shell (cage etc. already in) without engine and also miss all this little bits to complete it. Also a bunch of good and cheap replacement parts is something breaks down.

I would love to get a 2nd mini to grab parts off of but they are hard to come by over here is the US. And if I could find one it would be way more than I wanted to pay... 

#28 roadhouse

roadhouse

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 03:32 PM

So we had originally ordered a Corbeau Classic seat but once the seat actually arrived my wife did not like it. This seat is VERY small (we aren't large people) and it was a tight squeeze for us to get into it. Additionally, the quality just wasn't there. One of the plastic pieces around the headrest hole was already broken and the headrest would not go into the seat. So we decided to send the seat back. 

Today I found a set of Rover mini seats for sale and decided to jump on them. They give off a classic look and should still provide plenty of support and comfortable ride. We did not want to put racing seats in this car so these should work nicely. I really like the "Mini Cooper" on the seat backs. I think with a little love these seats will look good as new!

10258528_656830757768263_422742392152670

1743511_656830794434926_3453852052699642

Edited by roadhouse, 19 November 2014 - 03:57 PM.

#29 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

Has a small thing but it does make a difference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts
  • Local Club: MOCKZN

Posted 19 November 2014 - 04:18 PM

I do like those seats  =]

#30 roadhouse

roadhouse

Mini Mad