37 replies to this topic

#1 adam6900

adam6900

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:13 PM

Has anyone got any pictures or bits and bobs relating to the Avonbar ZX mini's? I know they only made a few but someone must have something! seams harder to find than BAC30's or ERA's :(

#2 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,804 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:31 PM

I have a few old magazine articles on the Avonbar ZX Mini's but not sure which box in my loft they are in..........

Interesting test on the Avonbar Mini 30 here:-

A Test Match - between Mini Miglia (Vortz); BAC M-30; ERA Mini Turbo and Avonbar Mini 30.

http://www.eraturbo....inipulation.htm

Edited by mab01uk, 06 September 2014 - 10:33 PM.

#3 adam6900

adam6900

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:35 PM

Yep that's about all that will come up online :( google is NOT my friend after hours of trawling through rubbish on there the avonbar 30 is just about all that comes up.

If you ever happen to come across the mag's Id be intrested to know whats in it.

Just managed to save a Avonbar ZX from the grass track world!

#4 adam6900

adam6900

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:38 PM

Possibly the rarest mini boot badge going....

Attached Files

#5 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,804 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:10 AM

Possibly the rarest mini boot badge going....

Keep us informed if you restore this rare car.....more photos would be good. :mrcool:

I will try to dig out some of the ZX magazine articles and scan them, so keep in touch.

I have also requested for any further information on the Mk1 Forum for you.

http://mk1-forum.net...php?f=5&t=10412

Ian Hargreaves founder and owner of Avonbar is now AVR Classics, he might also want to help save the car?

His contact details here:-

http://www.avrclassi...e.htm?ipg=10595

Popular Classics

January 1990, three tuned Minis.

ado15tuned_02.jpgTHE BAC M-30 was a limited edition of Mini Thirty Special Edition. BAC was based in North Perrott, Somerset. The interior was luxuriously trimmed – all leather and walnut veneer, while the exterior ‘improved’ by the addition of a KAT Designs bodykit. Motive power was provided by a 1275cc engine, mated to a Sprintex supercharger, to provide 115bhp. This propelled the car from rest to 60mph in 8.7s, and on to 111.6mph. The original asking price of the BAC M-30 was a staggering £30,000, later lowered to £23,390.

The ERA Turbo which retailed at £11,950 at selected Rover dealers, was developed by ERA at Dunstable. The car was basically a Mini fitted with 13 inch wheels, a bodykit designed by Dennis Adams of Marcos, and fitted with a 94bhp engine, as fitted in the MG Metro Turbo. With this power unit the ERA Turbo could do 0-60mph in 9.9s and reach 101.7mph. Some 400 were built between 1989 and 1991.

The cheapest car tested was the Avonbar Mini 30. Avonbar was founded by Ian Hargreaves in 1975 and based in Addlestone, Surrey (it still exists). Its conversion, known as the ZX, involved boring out the 1275cc engine to 1380cc, gas-flowing the cylinder head, and fitting larger valves. Traditional stuff then, but it did produce a useful 104bhp. For this, Avonbar charged £1994 for the conversion. The 0-60 time was 8.8s, and top speed was 100.6mph.

In conclusion, the testers dismissed the BAC M-30 as too expensive – it cost the same as a BMW 535 or a Rover 827 Vitesse – and decided between the ERA Turbo and the Avonbar Mini 30. In the end they plumped for the Avonbar, as it was the best value for money.

http://www.aronline....the-tuned-cars/

Edited by mab01uk, 07 September 2014 - 09:39 AM.

#6 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • 13,129 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:16 AM

I think I've seen this car on facebook!!

#7 adam6900

adam6900

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 12:08 PM

Thanks for posting that up on the other site, this ones slightly prior to the Avonbar 30's a few people have confirmed this was the car they used as there "test" car and was well known in the area in the 80's when built, its "supposed" to be 1408 or 1404cc running on the larger single carb set up, still need to get the head off to confirm that or not!

Body kit was fitted back when the conversion was done together with the wheels, and lucky for me the whole car was undersealed to, it has rusty sill's, rear boot panel and boot lid, that's about the worse of it so a very easy winter rebuild I hope! Have had it running and a quick blast up the road shows it don't half shift!

#8 adam6900

adam6900

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 12:09 PM

And a letter to the DVLA has gone out to get a list of the 4 prev owners to :)

#9 jpw1275

jpw1275

Up Into Fourth

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,803 posts
  • Local Club: I'm a carb addict!!!!!!!

Posted 07 September 2014 - 04:00 PM

Get some pics up.... :0)

#10 HarrysMini

HarrysMini

I do not have short legs!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 04:27 PM

+1 to more pics. I love editions like this, much more exciting than standard Mk1s you see everyday!

#11 adam6900

adam6900

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 08:10 PM

Its nothing to look at, just a white mini with a bodykit and 12" revolution 4 spokes + a couple of bucket seats! Quite how the Avonbar ZX badge managed to stay intact and on the boot for all these years I have no idea!

Quite lucky the badge made it as if it was not still there I would not have taken a chance and bid with 28 seconds to go :) quite a short space of time to decide on a car from first seeing it to being the buyer even by my standards!

#12 adam6900

adam6900

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:25 PM

Pics

Attached Files

#13 OzOAP

OzOAP

Speeding Along Now

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:24 PM

I worked for Avonbar from '87 to '97 and did most of the ZX's.
The ZX was 1380, ZS was 1275.
First one was Mini 30 reg G731 *** this was the press car and built in time for Mini 30 at Silverstone. Ian (Hargreaves) bought two others we converted, both were used as demonstrators, one stayed at shop for customers to try, the other one went out to Rover dealers. This was all before the relaunch of the 1275 RSP.
The dealers would still offer a warranty on the new converted car, and we, (Avonbar) offered warranty on power unit.
Can't remember how many were built. Ian may still have engine log book as every engine build was listed with full spec. It was nice working on showroom fresh cars.
I have a few photos somewhere, only once were all three Mini 30s together at the shop.
I remember Ian, Paul (shop manager) and myself took them out for a blast. Luckily I had keys to G731, (press car), it had a little bit extra...
G731 was featured at a very wet Castle Combe in Miniworld 1. I have a video of the day somewhere, incar from ZX with Phil's (Avonbar technician) Modified Saloon Mini overtaking us, on slicks, in the pouring rain.
Feature of ZX v BAC M30 v ERA was in Fast Lane magazine. I have it somewhere.
After the feature Avonbar were asked by Simon Saunders of BAC, (now does Ariel Atoms), to fit ZX spec engines in them. We did 2. Got pics somewhere...
No idea where photos are but I'll see what I can find. They may even be with a ZX badge or two.

Oz

Edited by OzOAP, 08 September 2014 - 09:27 PM.

#14 OzOAP

OzOAP

Speeding Along Now

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:15 PM

Just had a look at pics of white car. Engine number denotes it was built in 1996.

#15 adam6900

adam6900

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 11:42 PM

Very odd, after putting this up in other places I now have a few pictures of the car from around 1991/2 from a old owner, he said that it looks like it did when he owned it back then just a little more rust, he was the 3rd owner of the car and recons it was converted from new? said it was bought from a car dealers in Staines when he got it. strange, maybe its on its second engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users