267 replies to this topic

#196 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 05:42 PM

Took the nitro monster truck come buggy out earlier for a test, after sending most of Christmas replacing the clutch, flywheel, fuel tank, fuel lines and checking just about anything else, that was causing the annoying running issues I was having along with some fresh fuel.

Firstly I hate the pull start springs, as it decided to recoil back on itself. So had to swap over the pull start for a spare and have spent the best part of an hour trying to recoil up and fix it. And secondly I need to get a part of the steering remade (a new one isn't an option due to it's age) as part of the linkage is worn and has too much slop/play. Witch is affecting the handling to the point the steering is just a suggestion in the direction of travel, with it wanting to go in any direction it fancies, even if that's sideways.

#197 Anthony30

Anthony30

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 11 March 2017 - 06:16 PM

Get a drill start type. Much better. :shades:

#198 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 07:02 PM

I can't, as there's the outdrive and rear drive shaft in the way.

Still I've never found pull starts to be that much of a problem most of the time. Just the ones I've had previously have had the spring round up in the centre part with the pull cord, but the type I have now has the spring wound up inside the main casing. Much more fiddly and my fingers/hands aren't as small as they used to be.

I'm more concerned about the alloy steering link, as I can't buy a new one and making one up is slightly beyond my capabilities. As I need the hoes to be perfectly inline and in the right place. But it does me I can make it from something a little stronger than the 2mm soft alloy the original is made of.

Edited by 1984mini25, 11 March 2017 - 07:06 PM.

#199 MR J

MR J

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Local Club: Doncaster Mini Owners

Posted 12 March 2017 - 08:29 PM

A little video from last week

#200 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:21 PM

Brilliant :D

The kids round your way are easily spooked :D

#201 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:18 PM

Spent most of this morning building one of these, as it worked out cheaper to buy one new than one of the used offerings on eBay.

32817054863_3be7cbc853_c.jpg

Although I'm having one or two issues setting up the esc.

#202 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

• Members
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:30 PM

Mad bull good choice! They are great needs some paint next

#203 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:39 PM

I also need to add some bearing to the list, as I forgot to order some and thought I had some (I did but had already used them) that would fit spare.

Although while building it, I did use some heat shrink on the pivots of the front arms and steering pushrod to remove some of the slop. Along with adding a shim on both the front axles.

It's just the tamiya tble-02s set up I'm not familiar with.

Edited by 1984mini25, 24 March 2017 - 11:41 PM.

#204 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

• Members
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 09:38 AM

Can't say I have ever used one I'm afraid sorry I always ended up with mtroniks water proof ones as they were cheaper back then. Good idea with the heat shrink particularly on the steering arm pin. It's the only real weak point.
Don't thing you need many bearings either 8 seems to ring a bell.

Edited by dyshipfakta, 25 March 2017 - 09:39 AM.

#205 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 11:49 AM

Another steering trick I've always done is to add some cable ties (the two white ones in the kit were perfect) round the stock 3 piece servo saver. I did used to super glue them, but that caused to many issues come swapping between different servos. Although it does mean if you crash hard enough the gears in the servo are toast, but new servos and gears are cheap enough.

I've also preferred to use the mtronics esc, but as this kit one was included in the price for less than a new kit without on ebay, I'll use it for now. Although what's throwing me is its a brushless ESC that can be used with a brushed kit motor. Just the set up instructions don't explain that bit too well.

#206 fishey798

fishey798

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Rebels

Posted 26 March 2017 - 08:03 AM

Attached File  14905142449611880002577.jpg   43.35K   5 downloads

Just found this out from probably 20 years ago and the batteries are toast, if i recall properly i don't think they were much good back then.

What I'm getting at is does anyone know what the best batteries on a budget are for it?
Surely there is something better than the old 1400mah ni-cd batteries by now?

#207 spraybeater

spraybeater

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Local Club: Mcr

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:38 AM

attachicon.gif14905142449611880002577.jpg

Just found this out from probably 20 years ago and the batteries are toast, if i recall properly i don't think they were much good back then.

What I'm getting at is does anyone know what the best batteries on a budget are for it?

You can get some reasonably priced Lipo batteries now but require proper charger and

some care as they can be rather volatile 

#208 spraybeater

spraybeater

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Local Club: Mcr

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:52 AM

Back in the eighties used to be rather involved with 1/8 ic R/C car racing! still take a

bit of interest in them and other R/C cars and trucks.

last year wile on a break from full size Mini fun I  was handed this to try and get it running

and working again,

DSC_0009_zpseopv14eg.jpg

DSC_0007_zpsjjmdynos.jpg

DSC_0014_zpslk7rogkj.jpg

DSC_0013_zpsynqrvoyr.jpg

10th scale ic car 4wd 2 speed transmission cheaper made to what I used to be involved in but still 

found it quite interesting 

#209 MR J

MR J

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Local Club: Doncaster Mini Owners

Posted 26 March 2017 - 11:34 AM

attachicon.gif14905142449611880002577.jpg

You're limited to certain batteries with the through chassis battery compartment on the Baja Champ, all NiMh stick packs will fit but most hardcase Lipos are rectangular and won't fit in the chassis, you can get stickpack shaped lipos though if you look for them.

As said, you will need a special charger for Lipo batteries

#210 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

• Members
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 02:16 PM

Hobby king is your friend for batteries and chargers. Lips stick packs aren't expensive now. Or high capacity nimh. The Lipo packs are night and day compared to the old nicd batteries and last forever with the silver can motors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users