One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 24 September 2015 - 07:49 PM

This might have repercussions on your side of the pond too:

http://www.theregist...ons_test_cheat/

So they inject wee-wee into the exhaust to negate NOx?!  That's a new one!  I read about this today, naughty VW!

Trucks have been using it for years to heavily reduce the tax. :highfive: As r1minimagic said, It's turning the 'device' off that's causing all the moaning. I don't see what the big deal is to be honest. :lol:  ;D It's only avoiding tax, which a lot of companies do, and that's the real problem. All comes down to a money issue, nothing to do with saving the planet. :tumble:

Countries around the globe have signed up to reduce pollution levels, the introduction of the testing limits (such as euro 3, 4, 5, 6) is to reduce the pollution from vehicles. The vehicles have to meet the regulations. VAG are only meeting the US standards by programming the ecu during tests and afterwards it returns to normal, giving higher levels of pollution. The impact is countries failing to meet pollution reduction. Its not about avoiding tax, its about VAG selling and pushing diesel cars into the US. The US dont buy diesel cars historically, but VAG have been pushing diesel cars hard into the US.

UK cars......VAG haven't reduced the pollution during tests to save you road tax, they've done it to sell cars again and pass stricter tests on new vehicles.

And yes AdBlue and other addative systems have been used on trucks for many years. Trucks typically use alot more of the fluid than cars, but some cars do use this type of system also.

I did fill trucks with the stuff. ;D I understand It's no right to sell cars, advertising low emissions ect, but I really do think It's all about money. :tumble: The only reason the government got on the wagon in the first place is because they could make lots of money from the idea. Will I see a 2012 Golf advertised for £2.50 next week, when VW go under. :lol:  :kiss:

#62 Globule

Globule

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 08:31 PM

How long before Ford and GM are sussed out??  Then there is the cheese eating surrender monkeys as well. This wont stop at VAG.

Exactly, if the psa engine turns out to bend any rules it will implicate Ford, Volvo, Peugeot, Citroen and Bmw (mini) in one hit add that to VW, audi, skoda and seat we already know about and who's left, vauxhall and fiat group?

Whilst the PSA engines are supplied to many manufacturers, this does not mean all after-treatment solutions are the same, i.e the emissions are not identical. Different weight classes, different markets etc will all govern the requirements. 

I understand It's no right to sell cars, advertising low emissions ect, but I really do think It's all about money. 

Well to be fair it is. VW are in the business of vehicle sales not global emissions reduction, meeting the legislation merely allows them to have a profitable company (well, until a week ago...)

#63 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 08:35 PM

I've got £40 in my wallet from a mower I've sold on ebay today, will that be enough for a 2014 Golf R soon?

#64 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 09:20 PM

At witch point with all these apparently cleaner, greener more environmentally friendly diesels that admit high levels of cancer causing nox emissions (witch have been known about for years), witch have lower rates of road tax as a way of encouraging you to buy a "greener" low emission vehicle will the road tax be adustinged to suit.

Not that I really care of course, because even with my 30 years old car mini puffing out the occasional cloud of blue/black smoke, it's still probably cleaner than a vw.

Edited by 1984mini25, 24 September 2015 - 09:20 PM.

#65 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,899 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 24 September 2015 - 09:45 PM

To be honest this will not stop me owning or driving a VW diesel. Making a huge song and dance over something else and like everything else  in the news it will die off but still lurk in the background, much like Ebola. its still out there.

I'm sure there will be something else that will crop up shortly to take the edge of this.

#66 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 24 September 2015 - 10:05 PM

to be honest this is nothing new. Just with the technology now we get to hear about it real time.

Most car companies have been fined for some defeat system going back 30 odd years. If not longer.

The thing is people write rules and people push them.

But in this case it seems that it has been going on since 2007.

#67 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:50 AM

I don't think this will knock vw that much, most owners dont care and most of the people getting upset are not the people in the market for a new vw, like all these things in the news some people will actually seek out the thing in question,i know a few people that went to alton towers after the crash that previously had no interest, hey look at me on facebook the days the gates reopened!

#68 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • Name: Elvis
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 25 September 2015 - 11:35 AM

I don't think this will knock vw that much, most owners dont care and most of the people getting upset are not the people in the market for a new vw, like all these things in the news some people will actually seek out the thing in question,i know a few people that went to alton towers after the crash that previously had no interest, hey look at me on facebook the days the gates reopened!

The real question is how much financial damage will be done by the inevitable fines that will be levied. The US will almost certainly see it as an opportunity to be seen to act tough with those pesky Europeans and raise some cash (although the possibility of some US manufacturers being implicated might down play that one).  Pay back for all of those big EU fines against Microsoft for uncompetitive practice

Given the Germans virtually run the EU, I can't see Europe playing overly harsh, although they will want to be seen to do something they will probably negotiate something that pays out over a number of years and nothing that would financially de-stabilise the company. Whatever happens the deals will certainly be done behind closed doors. 

The real issue is whether it will stop Audi buying Red Bull  :D

#69 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 12:13 PM

I bet there is enough yank money invested in vw to be much less clear cut than a usa vs germany thing?

#70 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 25 September 2015 - 01:00 PM

So a Car company founded by the Nazis in 1937 is facing a PR disaster!

If Hitler were alive now he'd have to be driving a BMW or a Mercedes ;D .

#71 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 25 September 2015 - 01:28 PM

http://www.thelocal....on-german-roads

2.8M sold in Germany.

#72 GTIAlex06

GTIAlex06

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 01:51 PM

Damm those German diesels ay

21586430531_734830dacb_b.jpgFB_IMG_1442532292149 by Alex Robinson, on Flickr

#73 jamesmpi

jamesmpi

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini Owners Club

Posted 25 September 2015 - 02:10 PM

This made me laugh

http://sniffpetrol.c...t/#.VgVVwtJViko

and this one

http://sniffpetrol.c...s/#.VgVV4tJViko

Edited by jamesmpi, 25 September 2015 - 02:10 PM.

#74 Globule

Globule

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 03:17 PM

To be honest this will not stop me owning or driving a VW diesel. 

What if the vehicles have to be re-tested, and therefore your road tax is increased to be inline with others vehicles with such high emissions? Or, if the required "fix" for the problem drastically increases your running costs? I think it is these factors which will be more damaging to the average VW driver than the actual emission impact. 

I imagine those that claim compensation for "choosing a VW as it is a greener choice" are just chancing it to get some reimbursement from VW which is perfectly understandable, at the end of the day its free money. 

#75 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 03:51 PM

To be honest this will not stop me owning or driving a VW diesel. 

What if the vehicles have to be re-tested, and therefore your road tax is increased to be inline with others vehicles with such high emissions? Or, if the required "fix" for the problem drastically increases your running costs? I think it is these factors which will be more damaging to the average VW driver than the actual emission impact. 

I imagine those that claim compensation for "choosing a VW as it is a greener choice" are just chancing it to get some reimbursement from VW which is perfectly understandable, at the end of the day its free money. 

Mine does nowhere near the published MPG figures. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users