floormanager

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Sussex

Posted 06 August 2020 - 08:36 PM

Glad you like it John.

it was also great to catch up with you and Paul.

I hadn't really driven your mini out on the road any great distance prior to the engine swap so have nothing to compare with but i totally agree with your comments. I thought the gearbox felt lovely too.

I'll see you Friday for the oil change!

Cheers

Ben

Oil change Friday??  You only picked it up Monday :gimme:

He picked It up with running in oil as it's a new engine. 

Ran around in it over here and then returned to have it changed for regular oil.

Cheers

Ben

I see Ben. What's running in oil? Thinner than normal? Gonna be hot tomorrow.  I'm on the 06:25 ferry, hopefully home by 10:00am.  Thank you for the emergency repair, what a clown I am.

All the best,

Paul

#422 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 08:54 PM

Glad you like it John.

it was also great to catch up with you and Paul.

I hadn't really driven your mini out on the road any great distance prior to the engine swap so have nothing to compare with but i totally agree with your comments. I thought the gearbox felt lovely too.

I'll see you Friday for the oil change!

Cheers

Ben

Oil change Friday??  You only picked it up Monday :gimme:

He picked It up with running in oil as it's a new engine. 

Ran around in it over here and then returned to have it changed for regular oil.

Cheers

Ben

I see Ben. What's running in oil? Thinner than normal? Gonna be hot tomorrow.  I'm on the 06:25 ferry, hopefully home by 10:00am.  Thank you for the emergency repair, what a clown I am.

All the best,

Paul

Yes. That's it. Just helps bed things in.

I hope you have a safe trip back and it was great to see you again.

You are very welcome for the repair. It was no trouble at all and at least now nobody will ever know.. 

Oh wait.....

#423 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 01:01 PM

Work is now completed on the neon.

a quick reminder of when it came in

ACup5LZ.jpg

And now upon completion.

fyrfvMx.jpg

4O1Zaru.jpg

FcVe9iC.jpg

Cheers

Ben

#424 floormanager

floormanager

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 02:04 PM

Yes. That's it. Just helps bed things in.

I hope you have a safe trip back and it was great to see you again.

You are very welcome for the repair. It was no trouble at all and at least now nobody will ever know.. 

Oh wait.....

Haha!!  Note to all, do not be paranoid and take too many spares and if you do take a spare hardy spicer joint, don't drop it on your rear panel - it makes a horrible mess.

Got up eary and was on the 06:25 ferry.  Wanted to get home before the silly heat built.  Was back home at 9:30am.  Great to catch up again, no doubt I'll be back at Mill Road soon.  We really enjoyed the IOW again, what a place!

Paul

#425 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 06:46 PM

I  think Paul made the right choice getting the early ferry, we had a 13.00 ferry, but lots of ferries were delayed including ours for 45 minutes in the boiling heat. The Mini also threw a wobbly when indicators/hazards/wipers/horn all stopped working as we arrived at Portsmouth, so it was an interesting drive home with the lelectrical problems and the new engine getting quite warm, and to add to the problems I think my master cylinder is on its way out as the pedal was getting less and less solid.

On the plus side the bodywork looks amazing and the new engine / gerbox are so smooth and free revving.

Thanks Ben for all your great work.

#426 floormanager

floormanager

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:27 PM

I  think Paul made the right choice getting the early ferry, we had a 13.00 ferry, but lots of ferries were delayed including ours for 45 minutes in the boiling heat. The Mini also threw a wobbly when indicators/hazards/wipers/horn all stopped working as we arrived at Portsmouth, so it was an interesting drive home with the lelectrical problems and the new engine getting quite warm, and to add to the problems I think my master cylinder is on its way out as the pedal was getting less and less solid.

On the plus side the bodywork looks amazing and the new engine / gerbox are so smooth and free revving.

Thanks Ben for all your great work.

Glad you are now safely home John.  Would you believe I had a jacket on at 6:30am this morning as it was a bit chilly!!  I have to say, I was pleased to get away earlier than planned due to the heat.  Mine behaved no problem all week, it was me who was the idiot!  I'll have to have a drive over your neck of the woods sometime to meet up again.

All the best,

Paul

#427 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 08:32 PM

I was so sorry to hear about the problems earlier John.

It's so frustrating but sometimes these things happen.

It's particularly frustrating with these issues as we have both tested the car on the island and it's been fine.

I would think the electrical problems must surely be down to a broken earth wire. At least that's easy to test for.

The brakes as we discussed earlier must surely be the master cylinder as everything else is new. Again at least that's a simple part to replace.

The engine getting warm is an odd one though as it's ran at normal temp fine round the island. Mind you, with no motorways or suitable roads to maintain higher speeds for a prolonged period over here, perhaps it's something that has occoured that we couldn't have known with our testing. Perhaps it might just be some air in the system? I did make sure there wasn't though..

I'll have a chat with Bill about the thermostat. I fitted a new standard one so perhaps it needs a different one with this engine?

I'm so pleased that you are happy with the body and engine though.

Anyway, please keep me informed and if you need anything at all, please just give me a shout.

Cheers

Ben

#428 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 10:00 AM

I was so sorry to hear about the problems earlier John.

It's so frustrating but sometimes these things happen.

It's particularly frustrating with these issues as we have both tested the car on the island and it's been fine.

I would think the electrical problems must surely be down to a broken earth wire. At least that's easy to test for.

The brakes as we discussed earlier must surely be the master cylinder as everything else is new. Again at least that's a simple part to replace.

The engine getting warm is an odd one though as it's ran at normal temp fine round the island. Mind you, with no motorways or suitable roads to maintain higher speeds for a prolonged period over here, perhaps it's something that has occoured that we couldn't have known with our testing. Perhaps it might just be some air in the system? I did make sure there wasn't though..

I'll have a chat with Bill about the thermostat. I fitted a new standard one so perhaps it needs a different one with this engine?

I'm so pleased that you are happy with the body and engine though.

Anyway, please keep me informed and if you need anything at all, please just give me a shout.

Cheers

Ben

Hi Ben

The car drove fine on the island and on the way to the ferry, I think the extreme heat and waiting for the ferry may have played a part in the engine getting warm and causing the electrical gremlins. On the A27 the car performed excellently, keeping the revs below 3000 was more of a challenge as the engine was running so beautifully.

I will have a look at the electrics once the weather cools down a bit and will keep you updated.

John

#429 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 04:29 PM

I've been a little slow on updating the MG progress.

I've been so busy that I just havent gotten around to it.

I have some photos on my phone of some of the latest progress so I'll share those here.

wmao5je.jpg

jInqPbk.jpg

SxLpozO.jpg

jTRo2qZ.jpg

bpjx4uh.jpg

kGt6LqL.jpg

7FYCan7.jpg

b3o1eEZ.jpg

All that's left to do now is drill for the rivets that hold the hardware to secure the chrome side trims, drill for the new door mirrors and about 20 minutes worth of prep and then I'll be painting it.

Cheers

Ben

#430 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 10:03 AM

DGYKdOi.jpg

3OnVMFE.jpg

#431 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 23 September 2020 - 01:14 PM

Lovely,same amount of work took me nine months.Thanks for sharing.Steve..

#432 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 12:12 PM

John's making great progress refitting the MG

CAWWT8g.jpg

#433 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 12:56 PM

..a couple of little aero-screens would finish that off nicely i reckon  :proud:

#434 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 12:30 PM

John is still hard at work refitting the MGB

9DHmZD0.jpg

Not too much left now.

Edited by Ben_O, 01 October 2020 - 12:30 PM.

#435 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 12:20 PM

Got a defender today that a tree fell on.

Some people were asking about it in another thread so I'll post up some pics.

eWLuhMp.jpg

It doesn't look so bad now as the owner decided to push the worst out and replace the bonnet with a fibreglass one.

WsLjWfF.jpg

itWbyX3.jpg

Easiest way to sort the roof is to remove it. Especially as there is other damage and lots of lacquer peel.

F8dLh3t.jpg

Cheers

Ben 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users