477 replies to this topic

#1 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 04:42 PM

So i bought a mini advantage not long ago from someone  i work with s mate. It came with a few bits and pieces which some ive sold, and some will stay.

Here is the car.

IMG_2107.JPG

19807585_10155913165388132_1245852742_o.

19820924_10155913165398132_521906199_o.j

Its 1293, kent cam, engine is mint, cooper brakes, 12" wheels, mk1 grill, RSP interior, side exit rc40 i think it is.

So iev got a few questions about it already, but itll be slow start to this one as ive a mini 30 to finish, then a mini van to finish, then get this into the garage.

So today i have a little poke about it, tis got over sills on it, but so far the floor looks good, im not sure if they have been fitted instead of proper sills by accident as there is no sign of the original ones there. But they will come off, i plan to take it to a shell..

Its been repainted, and there is bits of rust comming threw, i know for the doors, they need skins, but what do i do about the rest of it? wings look good but in the seams they are rusting. 

IMG_2135.JPG

I think these are the original wings, they fit really well, and are spot welded on..

IMG_2137.JPG

The gutters where full of filler, and i could not work it out at first, then it dawned on me! Its had a roof skin! Paint of the car is only white, the stuff on the roof is about 20 thou thick and there is metalic blue in it.

IMG_2139.JPG

IMG_2138.JPG

I primed it as its under cover and will stay that way for a bit...

So what do i do about the rust about the wings?

THe RSP trim will go, but not sure what to get instead, i had MG metro mk1 seats in my old mini when i was 17, and these i think would be the ones to go for again. Im 6' tall, and 21 stone too ;) RSP seats are far too small.

thanks and any hints please are welcome..

Edited by Avtovaz, 15 January 2018 - 09:26 PM.

#2 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 04:59 PM

If there is any rust on the wing seams and you don't want to keep repeatedly cleaning it back and re-painting, then the only way forward is new wings. If done correctly, then they will last very well indeed.

If you only have rust in the seams under the headlamps and the rest of the wings are sound, then you can keep them by replacing the front panel which invariably will be worse for wear anyway.

Removing the front panel will give access to the seams under the lights so they can be cleaned back and repaired as necessary.

Cool little project though. I had an Advantage years ago although that was standard and original.

You don't see many like it now.

Good Luck

Ben 

#3 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:03 PM

right ok, its time for some wings then! I will start a list when i can get it into the garage here, but still lots of other projects to sort out first, but im dying to get on with it!

yes, cool little project, its a side one for me, iev a bmw road rally car, its fairly well sorted, and the next step for it is 3 way avo for the front, ive got it for the back but wasw lucky to get it second hand, and i cant justify spending that money on 2 shocks. So, I bought the mini to keep my mind occupied !

#4 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 11:40 AM

so progress will be slow at first on this but today i had a poke about.

gutters are all full of filler, started poking about and found the roof isnt really welded to the car!

IMG_2141.JPG

IMG_2142.JPG

so in two minds what to do now, as there us rust under the roof skin, i could try and save that roof skin, but take it off, clean up the gutters, and put if back on and tiger seal it. OR i could cut the posts and weld a new one one. They are £125 from M&Ms and would mean it had no rot in it to start with.

Can anyone suggest what to do ???!!!

Edited by Avtovaz, 15 January 2018 - 09:29 PM.

#5 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 12:59 PM

A new roof skin is an option but they are over £400. But its the perfect way to repair it.

A second had roof cut halfway down the posts is a good idea. I would recommend ordering up a pair of new windscreen boxing panels and stagger the inner and outer joins on the B post for strength.

The issue here is that there may well be rust in the gutters of the donor roof so choose carefully.

The other way is a Fibreglass or Carbon fibre roof skin but these really ought to be fitted over the existing roof. However you can cut away the bulk of the roof skin leaving the back front and sides in place. Not really suitable here considering your skin is peeling off quite dramatically.

Either way, I would ditch that old skin what with all that damage and filler or it will never look nice.

Cheers

Ben

#6 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 03:22 PM

yes i think binning that one is a good idea too, i think putting a new roof on could be less work than just the skin, but i think when my mums mini 30 is sold, i can get this one into the garage and take that skin off and see how bad the rot is in the gutters. I could then use the rust de ox gell and see what im left with.

I knew it wasnt going to be as simple as i first thought, but this isnt too major set back!

#7 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 03:31 PM

Some of those M&M roofs look pretty good.

If you went that route, you could go over there and pick the best one and for £120, its going to by far be the cheapest and easiest option providing you are able to fit it well yourself

#8 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 04:20 PM

well ive never done it before, but im sure i can do it. Ill get my mate to come over too and give me a hand, he is quiet good at stuff like that.

#9 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:34 PM

well, ive got the mini sat outside, we have 3 here atm,my advantage, the 30 and the van, i have to finish and sell the 30 before i can get my car into the garage, its nearly there. So i thought i d post all other mini " action" until i get upto the advantage.

IMG_2144.JPG

My mother and brother have been away for the last 2 weeks so i got the van out into the drive and started doing some bits. New master which i realised was different , old one had 2xm10x1 ports, this one is 1xm10x1 and 1xm12x1, i had to make new brake pipes.

IMG_2158.JPG

I tried to bleed it but the rear flexis or some reason are blocked , so i ebayed 2 new ones, but they arnt here yet. Had to get the little rubber boots back on the front suspension too, easy with my special tool i made!

IMG_2160.JPG

IMG_2164.JPG

4 new shocks too

IMG_2161.JPG

IMG_2163.JPG

and its back into its little space in the driveway.

IMG_2165.JPG

IMG_2167.JPG

ive had this car to a shell, done lots of welding on it, only to kinda mot spec, not so worried about the start of it as the guy just wants it back on the road. I resprayed it totally too. I painted the wheels this weekend too, it looks a lot better!

IMG_2167.JPG

after i put the van away i stripped the trim out of mine

IMG_2191.JPG

I also noticed on the roof,

IMG_2192.JPG

there is 2 skins to the roof where it isnt welded, so maybe they cut a roof off another car, but only dressed it up, and tried to spot weld 3 plates together and that is why non of the spots have taken.

Now my car will go back under cover, and ill finish the 30 in the week. Looking forward to that going so i can finally strip my car properly and get a good look at it. So far i cant find anything really bad other than the roof. Its got oversills but that is it. Hopefully this is about as bad as it really is. but you know it wont be LOL!

Edited by Avtovaz, 15 January 2018 - 09:50 PM.

#10 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:54 PM

For what reason would a car, like this one, need a second hand roof ? 

Any signs of it having been rolled ? 

#11 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:19 PM

no dont think its been rolled, maybe it had a sunroof and soemoen didnt like it, or maybe it got damaged, and someone bought the car cheep as of that. I can only guess...

either way its a good shell to start with

#12 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 05:34 PM

So, looking on ebay everynight, i found the original trim for the advantage. Now, i know this isnt mint, but then how likely is it that ill find a mint trim for tidy money? Anyway, what ever trim i buy, ill need to clean it. So i bought this..

IMG_2193.JPG

IMG_2194.JPG

i got, 2 front seats, the rear seats, door cards and pockets, rear bin cards, and i asked them if i bought it now if they would throw in the steering wheel. But when it came they posted as well, rear bin bottom card, the door handles, window winders, i think there was more too. It was £220 + £50 delivery! That was from "INTAPART" Daventry, looks like they brake a lot of mini stuff!

Some rear flexi hoses for the mini van turned up today too.

Edited by Avtovaz, 15 January 2018 - 09:53 PM.

#13 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:30 PM

What a result!

#14 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:22 PM

That was from "INTAPART" Daventry, looks liek they brake a lot of mini stuff

That is where most of the minis that were scrapped under the 2k scrappage scheme in 2009 ended up.

Edited by 1984mini25, 15 August 2017 - 09:23 PM.

#15 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 17 August 2017 - 12:17 PM

Nice looking project, and a nice Van to :) Good luck with them all

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users