After a few months of slowly going through a load of different electrical gremlins I'm basically there with my little '85 Mayfair apart from one problem that refuses to go away. The bloody hazards.
I know this has been asked on here alot but I genuniely am a bit stumped as I've gone through all the usual stuff, so here goes.
- The indicators work when the hazard switch is turned off, and they stop working when it's turned on.
- I have two hazard switches, one bought brand new last month, and they both show the same symptoms
- The fuse behind the carb is checked working and tried with multiple fuses
- The flasher unit on the bulk head has been replaced with a new unit
- There seems to be a pretty good 12v permanent feed on one of the green wires going into the back of the switch
- There is a fluctuating 12v feed in the holder for the flasher unit on the bulk head. This seems to fluctuate when I move the fuse holder around, so I would assume a dodgy cable somewhere but everything visually looks ok
- If I use a jumper to connect the 4 green cables at the back of the switch, nothing happens
- All indicator bulbs are fine
- The battery was new a few months ago and is in perfect health
- There doesn't appear to be any other electrical gremlins in the car, everything works fine apart from this issue (although there have been a lot of bodges to the wiring, some by me, most by previous owners)
Where the hell do I look next? Everything I've read online points to the fact they should be working but I can't get my head around what the issue might be, especially why the 12v feed to the flasher unit holder is hit and miss (literally jumping from 4v to 6v to 11v to 7v to 12v etc)
Any idea greatly appreciated, I was really hoping to fix all the electrical issues myself without having to get a garage look at it but I need the car on the road really and without the hazards working there's no chance of an MOT...