37 replies to this topic

#31 KTS

KTS

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 10:53 AM

Well, got some time to work on going over the mini again today, been kicking around different ideas of where to place bits while I don't have time to start tearing into it majorly until around Christmas between semesters. I did get under it though today and started peeling back some of the rubberized undercoat to see what lies beneath. The bad news is the driver's side floor is rough, and it is just patched from the top side over rusty spots, so its looking like a new floor make be in the works for the pickup.

that's a bit of a setback.  what's the rest of it like under there ? 

#32 catch_me

catch_me

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 02:50 PM

Well, got some time to work on going over the mini again today, been kicking around different ideas of where to place bits while I don't have time to start tearing into it majorly until around Christmas between semesters. I did get under it though today and started peeling back some of the rubberized undercoat to see what lies beneath. The bad news is the driver's side floor is rough, and it is just patched from the top side over rusty spots, so its looking like a new floor make be in the works for the pickup.

that's a bit of a setback.  what's the rest of it like under there ? 

It is hard to say, I really need to work at getting the rubberized underliner they put on off to really asses it all. I know there was a major amount of body work done on it by a MiniMania recommended shop with the previous owner, but there was no pictures available showing exactly what and how they did it. It appears as though everything in front of the cab was replaced from looking at what I can see the an spots I peeled the underliner off, but the floor is rough. There are a few placed where silicone has been used I'm guessing to cover rusted weld joints, and a lot of light patches over rust areas. Someone did a good job on the passenger side replacing panels in the floor, but the driver's side still has a lot of issues and patches were just placed over rusted floorboards from the looks of it. It looked like just rough patches from the top side, but underneath they just sealed in the old rusty bits to which is not right. I know it had rust problems to start from being imported, because things like on the tunnel by the shifter show areas of rust damage. At a certain point I am better starting off with a full clean floor than trying to work with this and regretting it later in the build.

Attached Files

#33 KTS

KTS

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 03:55 PM

i see what you mean - that's nasty  O_O

Fortunately, there is some choice in what to use if you do decide to replace the whole floor...

Edited by KTS, 29 October 2019 - 04:14 PM.

#34 catch_me

catch_me

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 04:43 PM

i see what you mean - that's nasty  O_O

Fortunately, there is some choice in what to use if you do decide to replace the whole floor...

Yeah, I thoroughly looked through Ben's work again last night on your pickup, and likely would follow a very similar path for the floor. I really hope the floor is all that is really rough though, it looks like there are not really any other major patch spots like you had all over in the bed and such that were not finished well. I think this pickup just had some work done the right way when it needed it, and then some work they tried to cut corners, which I hope is only in the floor.

#35 catch_me

catch_me

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 02:31 PM

A bit of an update, after finding the floor to be in worse condition than anticipated under the rubberized undercoat, and seeing some joints in the cab where I decided to scrape the two thick layers of white and red (under the white) off, there are a few spot with silicone over surface rust, which is concerning, as it means the body was not properly striped before its restoration the previous own had done by a shop. For that reason, I likely will sadly have to blast the body again myself, in order to figure out exactly what the bare metal looks like at all the joints and panels. That being said, since this is going to be a rather unique built, I possibly have an idea for the floor that will make it an even more unique and special build.

Edited by catch_me, 08 November 2019 - 02:31 PM.

#36 KTS

KTS

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 06:52 PM

Not ideal, but probably better to find out if there's anything else awry now and avoid setbacks further down the line

#37 Ronski

Ronski

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 08:26 AM

This looking like a really nice build, shame they cut corners on the body restoration.

I have one request though , please rotate the pictures to their correct orientation.

#38 catch_me

catch_me

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:12 PM

This looking like a really nice build, shame they cut corners on the body restoration.

I have one request though , please rotate the pictures to their correct orientation.

Im working on the picture orientations, every time I try to get it right, they keep ending up wrong again, I hope to get it figured out before I post more when I get a few good weeks to work on the car in December (hopefully will get it on a rotisserie as start doing some blasting on it).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mini Spares