#76 72hump

72hump

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Local Club: IMOG

Posted 15 November 2020 - 05:35 PM

Hi All, nothing really done on the car today, had a wee bit of a tidy up of the garage, and sorted out my tools into my new tool chest, an early Christmas pressie from the misses, as it looks like I'll be away at work for this one.
Tomorrow I'm going to make the oil drain hose from the 16v head to the sump in alloy, as I've never really been keen on a rubber hose running between a spinning fan and timing belt.

Cheers, Paul.

#77 72hump

72hump

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 07:29 PM

Evening, managed to finally get the alloy oil drain pipe done, needs a few more coats of paint. Assembled the filter back plate onto the throttle bodies. Going to weld an alloy stub onto the cam cover so I can vent the head to an oil catch tank, via a new oil filler.

Cheers, Paul.

#78 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 10:33 PM

Could you go into more detail regarding the rear view mirror? It's got such a long arm - what will the end result look like from the drivers point of view? :)

#79 72hump

72hump

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 11:40 PM

Could you go into more detail regarding the rear view mirror? It's got such a long arm - what will the end result look like from the drivers point of view? :)

Hi Retro10, this is what it looks like from outside the car, you can see from the photo, the mirror is clamped to the stainless rod allowing you to adjust it to suit your seating height, good when you've got lower bucket seats, hope this helps.

Cheers, Paul.

#80 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 08:27 AM

Hi Retro10, this is what it looks like from outside the car, you can see from the photo, the mirror is clamped to the stainless rod allowing you to adjust it to suit your seating height, good when you've got lower bucket seats, hope this helps.

Cheers, Paul.

Ah ok! that's how i was imagining it in my head, but i had to see it to believe it. don't think I've seen that on a mini before. Good project with some Interesting features!

#81 72hump

72hump

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 02:10 PM

Cheers, Paul.

Ah ok! that's how i was imagining it in my head, but i had to see it to believe it. don't think I've seen that on a mini before. Good project with some Interesting features!

Hi Retro10, thanks for the comments, if you check out REVVIT's van restoration, his rear view mirror is very smart.

Paul.

#82 72hump

72hump

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 09:39 PM

Evening All, just a wee update, over the past few days I've been cleaning up the parts on the rear suspension for reassembly, now waiting on parts which I've ordered from Minispares to get the radius arms back on the car.

Also managed to get the alloy stub welded onto the cam cover, and sprayed it with wrinkle paint, although I might not have had the alloy hot enough, might try sticking it in the oven when the wife's at work.

Installed the oil drain pipe, as you can see its very close to the fan.

Cheers Paul.

#83 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 10:18 PM

looking very good - every time i see one of these K conversions it makes me deeply envious 

A word of caution on curing off the crinkle finish paint in the oven: it works well, but absolutely stinks, so keep the kitchen door closed and the windows open  ;D

#84 72hump

72hump

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 05:10 PM

Hi guys, been working on the rear suspension for the last few days, would have had it assembled a wee bit quicker, but I managed to break one of the rear cylinder E clips, and didn't have any spare.

Anyway, finished that of last night, and forgot to take photos, oops, will get some taken in the next few days. I dropped the car onto its new rubber so I could turn her round, and get her into the garage so I will be able to drop the engine in, either over the weekend or it will be next week sometime.

Cheers, Paul.

#85 72hump

72hump

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 07:23 PM

Evening all, managed to get the engine dropped in, don't know if it will stay in, as I have a few small jobs to do round the engine, hopefully I will have enough room. Will start on making a couple of stainless steel brackets to mount the Setrab oil cooler, then a new oil filler cap with a couple of barbed stubs on it to connect up to an alloy oil catch tank under the drivers wing.

Here's a few pics of the engine in place.

.Attached File  image.jpeg   59.07K   4 downloads
Attached File  image.jpeg   66.82K   2 downloads

Cheers, Paul.

Edited by 72hump, 01 December 2020 - 08:41 PM.

#86 AndyMiniMad.

AndyMiniMad.

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,290 posts

Posted 02 May 2021 - 03:39 PM

Looks great Paul

#87 IronmanG

IronmanG

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts
  • Local Club: Box hill. Lsmoc member

Posted 03 May 2021 - 06:26 AM

I like this. I have been looking at options keeping the front of bonnet shut as I have had to remove the bonnet pin due to air filter. I see you have gone pins. Do you have a picture of them with the bonnet on please

#88 72hump

72hump

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 08:30 AM

I like this. I have been looking at options keeping the front of bonnet shut as I have had to remove the bonnet pin due to air filter. I see you have gone pins. Do you have a picture of them with the bonnet on please

Hi IronmanG, thanks by the way, the only photos I have of the bonnet are not really complete, as life keeps getting in the way of my build. Anyway, here's a few pictures what I have.
Attached File  image.jpeg   37.03K   3 downloads

Attached File  image.jpeg   39.13K   4 downloads

Attached File  image.jpeg   61.45K   1 downloads

#89 72hump

72hump

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 06:52 PM

Hi guys, well finally made a start on the oil catch tank for under the drivers wing. I'd bought some 3mm alloy some months ago, so finally decided to use it. Made a cardboard template first to check if it would fit in place, then cut out the aluminium and got most of it welded together this afternoon. Will weld on the mounting brackets on Sunday, then finish it of with a coat of chassis black.

Attached File  image.jpeg   58.98K   2 downloads

Attached File  image.jpeg   57.39K   2 downloads

Attached File  image.jpeg   41.86K   0 downloads

Attached File  image.jpeg   49.78K   0 downloads

#90 72hump

72hump

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 02:56 PM

Hi guys, finally finished of the oil catch tank today, and received the 220cc injectors, will get them fitted tomorrow. Getting close to been able to start to build her up, as I've done most of the fabrication work, only to do the brackets for the oil cooler.

Attached File  image.jpeg   63.44K   6 downloads

Attached File  image.jpeg   57.02K   4 downloads
Some of these injector bodies look a little second hand, think I will contact the seller about them, and get them replaced, considering their supposed to be new!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users