#1 Oskifisk

Oskifisk

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 01:12 PM

Hello all,

Having problems with my 850 from 1977, it simply will not start when hot.  If i crank the engine over the starter motor disengages without the engine starting. If the engine does manage to turn over and start it only "chugs" for maybe 2 - 3 turns and dies. 

If i keep persevering it finally starts"chugging" then with help for the accelerator finally gets to some higher RPM's to actually start running. The whole process can keep going for up to 5 mins before actually starting the car.

And it dies while driving, it suddenly losses ignition i think, and when i try to turn it back on the ignition lamp isn't on and nothing happens, after 5 min it comes back on but now i have the problem where i have to start it while hot.

Thanks in advance

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 04 November 2019 - 07:50 PM

Make sure there is an engine earth strap fitted and that all earth terminals are clean and shiny... also check the timing, points gap, condenser, then the coil resistance if in doubt replace the wear items.

If you have a rev counter fitted observe it when it cuts out, if it spikes its electrical, if it hardly moves (+ -50rpm) its fuel related.

Hope this is a little help.

Cal

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users