#1 Vince208

Vince208

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 05:58 PM

Good afternoon,

I have an A+ engine in my Mk 1 (1963) mini super de luxe, which I have already changed to -ve earth, and upgraded to an alternator. I am now considering upgrading to electronic ignition and should be grateful for help with the following:

I have spotted an AccuSpark kit for Lucas 59d on ebay.  My questions are:

Will my A+ engine have a 59d dizzy?  The dizzy is held in place by the single bolt fork-type clamp.

Are the Accuspark easy to fit?

Are they as good as the systems that replace the distributor in its entirety?

Would I need to re-time the engine if fitting the Accuspark?

Does this system reduce the current used by the coil?

Many thanks.    

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 19 January 2020 - 06:47 PM

It can have a 59D, or the later (1990>) non cooper had the 65D dizzy.

You will need to reset the timing, it will be different than the points dizzy

Edited by cal844, 19 January 2020 - 06:48 PM.

#3 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,976 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 20 January 2020 - 01:39 AM

The Lucas distributor type should be cast into the body. There is usually a second stamped number which will give you the specifications of your unit (timing curve etc)

The electronic modules all come with simple instructions and are easy to fit. They use the same module as most complete distributors, so not really any difference. The most important part is making sure the timing is correct for your engine.

#4 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 20 January 2020 - 08:40 AM

65's already are electronic. All other A+'s use the 59. They're the same as a 45,save for the clamp & fitting, just with wiper points. The pin on the baseplate to take the white plastic fork will be redundant.

I presume you've already junked the ballasted ignition, for the car's original wiring?

#5 1314cc

1314cc

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Local Club: tumbleweedminisbristol

Posted 20 January 2020 - 02:17 PM

I done this recently using 59d electronic distributor from minispares. Easy to fit , I checked the timing before removing my old points dizzy, then found the timing needed a little tweaking after fitting new distributor. Also as mentioned by another poster , it's a good idea to do away with the ballast coil(if fitted) and go with 12v coil( there's a guide and plenty of posts on here about doing this conversion)
Before fitting the new distributor I made sure I was at top dead centre with my old one .You should find the rotor arm pointing at number 1 (around 2 o'clock ish)!! Then undo the clamp and fit new distributor in same position.

For what they cost it's worth buying a timing gun. I bought an accuspark with advance dial. If you're a novice like me then this will make your job easier!

Edited by 1314cc, 20 January 2020 - 02:44 PM.

#6 Vince208

Vince208

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 03:20 PM

Very many thanks. I think I have a standard 12v coil, but how can I be sure? Also, how to a confirm (using my multimeter) which is the positive side of the coil (this seems a vital pre-requisite. Lastly, should I open up the plug gap to give maximum benefit from what will presumably) be a better spark?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users