Community Status Updates

Photo

RooBoonix

Would solid subframe mounts be an insurance mod? Is it classed as a service thingy to prevent the trouble caused by rubber ones or is that not how it works?
Jun 03 2015 03:48 PM
  • spiguy's Photo
    spiguy
    it's a modification because it is a deviation from what was fitted as standard, assuming your car didn't come with em and they were changed later.. It would be easy for an insurance company to claim it was done to improve the handling, which then suggests that you were trying to improve 'performance' with the subsequent implication that you would use this new found performance...
    Jun 03 2015 10:04 PM
  • OfMini&Men's Photo
    OfMini&Men
    Then you can say non genuine parts are a modification aswell. I told my insurance company id soild mounted mine and they didn't even put it up
    Jun 03 2015 10:15 PM
  • RooBoonix's Photo
    RooBoonix
    But I'm still a learner at the moment and when I pass my insurance will already be high enough. For a complete set of new rubber mounts it's almost £100 + VAT from Minispares! I might have to go non-genuine :(
    Jun 03 2015 10:22 PM
Photo

RooBoonix

Broke my impact wrench removing conrod bolts :( Oh well, was a freebie so can't complain. I'll have to buy a new shiny one now
May 21 2015 09:37 PM
  • RooBoonix's Photo
    RooBoonix
    Milwaukee do seem to be one of the best. Apparently The batteries are better too
    May 22 2015 10:42 PM
  • SiZT's Photo
    SiZT
    Sounds like it was on it's last legs or there was something wrong with the rod. The Milwaukee guns are good
    May 23 2015 09:49 AM
  • RooBoonix's Photo
    RooBoonix
    It was only a cheapish one, Techway I think. I was given it after the batteries were knackered (which I fixed). Oh well
    May 23 2015 09:52 AM
Photo

RooBoonix

Keep getting DNS errors :(
May 09 2015 12:50 PM
  • Ben_O's Photo
    Ben_O
    same here
    May 09 2015 12:58 PM
  • RooBoonix's Photo
    RooBoonix
    Comes back every now and then, so I take advantage while I can :P
    May 09 2015 01:00 PM
Photo

RooBoonix

Is it worth trying to grease a squeaking speedo cable or is a new one better? I have smallish hands, is it possible to replace the cable without taking anything apart?
Apr 14 2015 09:06 PM
  • RooBoonix's Photo
    RooBoonix
    I have a special grease for that, keep it in my door pocket ;)
    Apr 14 2015 10:14 PM
  • spiguy's Photo
    spiguy
    I've always found that wd40 / gt85 / ptfe spray does nothing for cables of any sort, including bike brake and gear cables. Oil is always the best option.
    Apr 15 2015 11:52 AM
  • RooBoonix's Photo
    RooBoonix
    I'll try oil tonight, thanks
    Apr 15 2015 11:59 AM
Photo

RooBoonix

1994 SPi.. Anyone know what thread the switch panel nuts are?
Apr 03 2015 07:05 PM
Photo

RooBoonix

Quick question: Is this suitable for splitting the ball joints on top and bottom of the front hubs? http://www.punkylamb.com/ct1578.aspx
Mar 31 2015 08:40 PM
  • RooBoonix's Photo
    RooBoonix
    I've bought replacement ball joint sets from Minispares, for both hubs and I'm just buying the splitter now.
    Mar 31 2015 09:36 PM
  • Ben_O's Photo
    Ben_O
    I would put the nut on even if you are replacing the ball joints as it will give you a better surface area to push against and there will be less chance of it slipping off. Personally i like the fork type splitters and a BIG hammer
    Apr 01 2015 03:36 AM
  • RooBoonix's Photo
    RooBoonix
    I've ordered the cup type, there seems to be alot of differing opinions on splitters... IF it works, it works, if not i'll order another one :P
    Apr 01 2015 08:34 AM
Photo

RooBoonix

0.8A parasitic drain on my battery... nice job for tomorrow then. Out of interest, how long does the ecu etc stay on when the power I reconnected (ie how long until it goes into standby?)
Sep 25 2014 08:24 PM
  • RooBoonix's Photo
    RooBoonix
    What's an acceptable draw for an SPI?
    Sep 25 2014 08:45 PM
  • IainStallard's Photo
    IainStallard
    No idea, I could always check mine tomorrow but I've got a clock and radio memory as my draw so will be interesting to see what the drain is
    Sep 25 2014 09:00 PM
  • RooBoonix's Photo
    RooBoonix
    Well I have a radio and the A Series alarm/immobiliser installed. Don't worry too much mate, I'll have a poke around with my multimeter tomorrow and see what I can find. It got too dark for me to do anything further tonight.
    Sep 25 2014 09:11 PM
Photo

RooBoonix

Can a 12v fused relay be used without an inline fuse from a permanent live? Look tidier than inlines...
Sep 24 2014 07:03 PM
Photo

RooBoonix

Debating whether to make a new permanent 12v feed from the solenoid for my alarm or whether to piggyback off the standard loom... Suggestions?
Sep 11 2014 04:16 PM
  • 1984mini25's Photo
    1984mini25
    A new separate fuse live direct from the solenoid would be best and most reliable option.
    Sep 11 2014 08:32 PM
  • RooBoonix's Photo
    RooBoonix
    I thought that. Might get one of those fused distribution boards to split it and fuse each connection. Then any earths on the screws fixing it down. Keeps it all neat and in one piece then :D
    Sep 11 2014 08:39 PM
Photo

RooBoonix

Does it matter which way round the thermostat housing gaskets go? they've got the little notch in then but I have no idea... The way I've found best is to have the notch at the front towards the right.?
Sep 09 2014 06:47 AM
Photo

RooBoonix

Yay! Nice order with Minispares done which should allow me to get my cylinder head back on with nice new shiny bits and fresh oil :D
Sep 02 2014 09:33 PM
Photo

RooBoonix

Oh dear... oil is real milky. Best I get that new headgasket fitted and new oil put in!
Jul 13 2014 03:55 PM
Photo

RooBoonix

For splitting a "normal" vacuum pipe on a Mini (for a Vac gauge) would either of the 5/16" or 1/4" T-Pieces from Minispares be suitable?
Jul 06 2014 06:20 PM
Photo

RooBoonix

Can't decide whether rally giants look too big on the standard mounts or whether I should get some 6 inch ones:( So hard to choose
Jun 18 2014 04:01 PM
Photo

RooBoonix

Would my 94 Cooper have black arches and white mirrors as standard? Or are the chrome arch covers and mirrors correct?
Jun 05 2014 08:45 PM
  • RooBoonix's Photo
    RooBoonix
    Yeah the black arches are under the covers. Minispares says the white ones were fitted then. Oh well. "Exterior decorative changes" puts the insurance up millions so may have to leave the boring look for a while
    Jun 05 2014 09:43 PM
  • alex-95's Photo
    alex-95
    The black arches look better IMO, chrome ones look a tad tacky. I wouldn't have thought that would put the price up that much. If it was like it when you bought it I wouldn't put it down...

Jun 05 2014 09:50 PM
  • RooBoonix's Photo
    RooBoonix
    Well I'm going to be 17 and it almost doubles it. I wasn't going to note it down, I wasn't sure if the chrome was the equivalent to an "optional extra" fitted from factory? I'm not sure I want to risk it
    Jun 05 2014 09:52 PM