Custom_Minis

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 02:43 PM

3 words:

The Dogs *man danglies*!

Well done Andy, a real credit to your patience, time and effort you've put in!

Les.

#437 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:00 PM

Maybe I didnt exlain myself very well, the dyno used connects straight to the wheel hubs (see the dyno chart post in the thread and you will see what I mean) so it measured 288HP at the hubs, which when you consider 10% loss through transmission gives a reading at the crank (where BHP is measured) of approx 315BHP. WHP is something different and is pretty much what is being read at the hubs, minus the weight of the wheels.

I am not wanting to teach you how to suck eggs so please dont take offence if you've read all this before, it might help others to understand. Here are a few examples of the differences between the various types of horsepower:

Brake horsepower (bhp) is the measure of an engine's horsepower without the loss in power caused by the gearbox, alternator, differential, water pump, and other auxiliary components such as power steering pump, muffled exhaust system, etc. Brake refers to a device which was used to load an engine and hold it at a desired RPM. During testing, the output torque and rotational speed were measured to determine the brake horsepower

Horsepower Measurements

The power of an engine may be measured or estimated at several points in the transmission of the power from its generation to its application. A number of names are used for the power developed at various stages in this process, but none is a clear indicator of either the measurement system or definition used.

In the case of an engine dynamometer, power is measured at the engine's flywheel (i.e., at the crankshaft output). With a chassis dynamometer or rolling road, power output is measured at the driving wheels. This accounts for the significant power loss through the drive train.

In general:

Nominal is derived from the size of the engine and the piston speed and is only accurate at a pressure of 48 kPa (7 psi).[11]

Indicated or gross horsepower (theoretical capability of the engine)

Minus frictional losses within the engine (bearing drag, rod and crankshaft windage losses, oil film drag, etc.), equals Brake / net / crankshaft horsepower (power delivered directly to and measured at the engine's crankshaft)

Minus frictional losses in the transmission (bearings, gears, oil drag, windage, etc.), equals Shaft horsepower (power delivered to and measured at the output shaft of the transmission, when present in the system)

Minus frictional losses in the universal joint/s, differential, wheel bearings, tire and chain, (if present), equals Effective, True (thp) or commonly referred to as wheel horsepower (whp)

#438 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:02 PM

3 words:

The Dogs *man danglies*!

Well done Andy, a real credit to your patience, time and effort you've put in!

Les.

Cheers Les

It has been a long time coming, cant wait to show some good photos of it, going to try and get some later tonight.

#439 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:16 PM

Wow, what a beauty! You should be proud, we all are! quality all around.

Just a tip: if you're looking for a good sportscam, take a look at the GoPro HD.

cheers.

Thanks, I have already got a full HD camcorder so need to make the most of it, its just another hurdle to overcome, after a build like this I am not too concerned about making a support for it.

#440 Poly_Patje

Poly_Patje

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:49 PM

Maybe I didnt exlain myself very well, the dyno used connects straight to the wheel hubs (see the dyno chart post in the thread and you will see what I mean) so it measured 288HP at the hubs, which when you consider 10% loss through transmission gives a reading at the crank (where BHP is measured) of approx 315BHP. WHP is something different and is pretty much what is being read at the hubs, minus the weight of the wheels.

I am not wanting to teach you how to suck eggs so please dont take offence if you've read all this before, it might help others to understand. Here are a few examples of the differences between the various types of horsepower:

Minus frictional losses in the universal joint/s, differential, wheel bearings, tire and chain, (if present), equals Effective, True (thp) or commonly referred to as wheel horsepower (whp)

Ok, when you read other papers about bikes (I heve learned a lot when tuning my bikes) they all say crank HP and BHP they are all talking about the HP on the back wheel. So that is a difference in understanding or using the words. That makes the other side clear now :rolleyes: Thank for sharing it again.

#441 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:55 PM

No worries.

#442 mighty mini jack

mighty mini jack

Mighty Before a Pint

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:12 PM

That looks stonking!

Great to see it all come together, been following this from day One.

Edited by mighty mini jack, 02 June 2010 - 04:13 PM.

#443 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:30 PM

Got a few more photo's tonight, some turned out OK but the sun was still abit to strong in some of the photo's - must try harder:

Anyhoo, here are a few from tonight, no prizes for guessing where they were taken.

You can start to see why it has taken me so long to get to the finished article, there are many, many subtle bits that needed doing, in a couple of days I will have the interior complete and will post some photos of it for you'all.......

This is the first showing of the badge on the boot, anyone recognise the style of writing?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#444 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:52 PM

That looks stonking!

Great to see it all come together, been following this from day One.

Thanks.

#445 drayton min man

drayton min man

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:44 PM

Nice job ;) great to see somebody take so much pride.

PS love the photos at Goodwood!!

Geoff

#446 LankyJames

LankyJames

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • Local Club: Heavy Handed Cluts Club

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:50 PM

Wow, what a beauty! You should be proud, we all are! quality all around.

Just a tip: if you're looking for a good sportscam, take a look at the GoPro HD.

cheers.

Or the contour HD 1080p, i have one and its awesome, heres some test video i took;
http://www.vholdr.com/node/69542

File sizes are too massive and i have nothing interesting to show just yet...but soon!

Also to keep on topic; kirk your car looks awesome mate, would love to see it in the flesh!

#447 miniQ

miniQ

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:56 PM

HaHa great :')

#448 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:06 AM

Nice job ;) great to see somebody take so much pride.

PS love the photos at Goodwood!!

Geoff

Thanks Geoff, it is handy having the circuit so close and it is really accessible, makes a great back drop.

#449 AndreasGR

AndreasGR

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:16 AM

hi! you have a wonderful mini mate ;)

may i ask, what size are your front wheels? and how much is your riding height (front and rear)?

#450 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:52 AM

hi! you have a wonderful mini mate ;)

may i ask, what size are your front wheels? and how much is your riding height (front and rear)?

Thanks.

Front wheels are 7" wide x 13" diameter.

Ride height - unsure, will have to get back to you on that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users