#76 AllanMcD

AllanMcD

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Local Club: 16v mini club

Posted 24 March 2010 - 01:21 PM

If you do the same (reverse while in gear) with a busa it brakes the starter gears and wrecks the crank :thumbsup:
I havnt done it yet .
Allan

Edited by AllanMcD, 24 March 2010 - 01:23 PM.

#77 crispy

crispy

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 06:04 PM

Any particular reason it HAS to stay engaged? Could you rig up a car starter motor from a smaller car on there?

Is it just the starter isn't designed to disengage, or is there a specific reason that it has to stay engaged?

(I don't have any knowledge of bike motors, I'm just a curious little engineering student)

Edited by crispy, 24 March 2010 - 06:04 PM.

#78 brandon7

brandon7

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:21 AM

Any particular reason it HAS to stay engaged? Could you rig up a car starter motor from a smaller car on there?

Is it just the starter isn't designed to disengage, or is there a specific reason that it has to stay engaged?

(I don't have any knowledge of bike motors, I'm just a curious little engineering student)

It would appear the starter aperture spins both ways justs as easily. The aperture does not look like it move in or out. It would be a nightmare to retrofit any other starter as well as a whole world of hassle.
For the time being it may just seem I need to alter my driving style slightly and clutch in if it would seem im going into a spin.

#79 crispy

crispy

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:12 PM

It would appear the starter aperture spins both ways justs as easily. The aperture does not look like it move in or out. It would be a nightmare to retrofit any other starter as well as a whole world of hassle.
For the time being it may just seem I need to alter my driving style slightly and clutch in if it would seem im going into a spin.

Just speculating here, I may be completely off the mark in ways that i cant even imagine:

If the starter gear doesn't move longitudionally (on the axis it spins on), just spins, then the flange should be fairly close to the gear right? Shouldn't it be possible to make a little block of steel/aluminum to attach to where the original starter goes to that will allow you to set another starter further back from the block. The spacer will have to be exactly as wide as the distance that the gear pops out, but it might be doable if you could find a compact enough starter with the same size gear teeth.

The tricky part would be getting the holes in the exact right place on the adapter block, but if you found out where those should go, a machine shop could whip you up a block fairly easily.

#80 1380sprint

1380sprint

Mini Mad

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 06:57 PM

love it brandon!
where did you get your bonnet ?

#81 1380sprint

1380sprint

Mini Mad

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:11 AM

anyone?

#82 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 16 November 2010 - 07:44 AM

Its a Zcars Scooped Bonnet, you used to be able to roder them from the website, havent been on there in ages so unsure if you still can, if not give them a call I am sure chris will wrap one up and send it to you, or go up there and have the tour, its near Hull.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users