jimmymcgregor

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:20 PM

Hi,
i was wondering if you could provide me with some information and/or advice.

i am 15 and have almost rebuilt with my dad a 1973 mini for when i can drive but i was wondering how much would the insurance be for different sized engines:

998cc
1275cc
1300cc
1380cc
1450cc

because i am thinking about buying something bigger then my 998cc but don't know what i will get insured for at age 17/18

Thanks

#2 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:39 PM

Won't just depend on engine size. Insurance premiums take into account your age, post code, where the car will be kept, modifications, car use, security, colour, number of seats, etc etc etc etc. Rendering any prices or quotes anyone else gives you entirely useless.

But I'll let people post up what they pay anyway, purely because it wastes the lifespan of the keys on their keyboards.

#3 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:42 PM

That sucks, Everybodys Dads is Restoring them Minis :D

#4 Roo

Roo

The Queen Of The Curly Wurly

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,656 posts
  • Local Club: South Central Mini Club!

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:52 PM

I think the "Use the search button" would also apply Jammy :D (and you forgot NC discount and type of policy)

Queue "not another insurance thread"

Your best bet is to do your own insurance quotes online based on various engine sizes..

You'll be pushing to get insured on a 1275.. anything bigger will be out of the question.

#5 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:57 PM

Didn't bother with NC and type of policy because 9 times out of 10, at 17 you don't have any NC and the only type of policy you can get is a mainstream one. I agree they do influence other premiums though.

#6 mini mark

mini mark

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:19 PM

i can now start getting quotes as i am 17 in 27 days and i have a 998 city and the price for that is stupidly high were ever you live its going to be high get the smallest enging posible and build up your no claims and all that dont waste all your money by throwing it all away to the insurance company

mark

#7 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 04:35 PM

just go on Gocompare.com Or similar, And Enter what you think The Specification of your mini will be, and what you think your Circumstances At the time you'l be getting it insured will be, and Compare the prices.

Rocket Science

Edited by Mini-Mad-Craig, 18 November 2008 - 04:35 PM.

#8 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:17 AM

I'll say just one thing - Classic Insurance :thumbsup:

#9 mini_lad_1990

mini_lad_1990

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • Local Club: aint got one yet!!

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:51 AM

998 with me on my own 19 years of age with 2 year bike no claims £654 fully comp with norich union barging i thought others may disagree(due to age and cheap insurance lol)

#10 oli8925

oli8925

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 11:06 AM

theres a big jump between 998 and 1275 with most people when your young so just go with 998. play it safe.

as for classic insurance, i havent been able to find classic insurance for someone under 21, on their own policy, and uses the mini as an everyday car. they usually say it must be your second car and have a very small limited mileage. maybe im going wrong somewhere.

Edited by oli8925, 19 November 2008 - 11:07 AM.

#11 998dave

998dave

998cc's Of Dave Goodness

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,566 posts
  • Name: Dave

Posted 19 November 2008 - 11:23 AM

As above, 998 will be affordable, if you go through a good company you can have stage 1 kit without much more expense, this should give you more then enough fun, I had a 998 mini for years and love the way the engine runs so much that despite having two 1275's I insisted my girlfriends mini was a 998 just so I could go and play every now and again.

Ensuring you keep the engine well serviced will also give you as much power, torque, and driveability as having a poorly 1275,

#12 JohnGordon

JohnGordon

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  • Local Club: N.W Mini's / O.D.M.C

Posted 19 November 2008 - 11:40 AM

I'll say just one thing - Classic Insurance :thumbsup:

A lot of companys wont let you have classic insurance till your 25, I kept gettin put through to classic policy departments to spend half an hour givin them details for them to then ask how old i was at the end "oh your 20? sorry we cant do you classic insurance then"

your best bet is like others have said get qoute on gocompare/confussed.com ect..... but put that you are 17/18 with a full licence to find out what it's going to cost, remember to list any mods your thinking of.

and a 998 will do you fine for your first car, their not as bad as some people think! Then when your bored of it get a stage 1 it makes a huge difference but remember to declare it! :w00t:

Edited by JohnGordon, 19 November 2008 - 11:41 AM.

#13 Heather&Henrietta

Heather&Henrietta

Boobs + Batteries = Trouble!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • Local Club: JMC & BMC

Posted 19 November 2008 - 11:54 AM

well i've just turned 18 and my insurance as a learner driver at 17, fully comp in my own car was £665, bearing in mind I'm a gal (I know prices for fellas tend to be higher), when I past my test in August this year, I paid £90 premium.

So I currently pay £665.

#14 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:11 PM

Well i know footman james does classic insurance for young drivers - All you need is a full licence - They don't insure provisionals.

My classic insurance was £750 on a 1986 City e with a stage 1 998 and all other mods declared - Wheels, arches, interior, spotlights etc. With me being 17 no NCB and being the owner of the car and policy. The only limit was 4500 miles a year or it could pay an extra £180 for 6500 a year. I thought that was great as the cheapest quote i got otherwise was £1200 from LV which exclude any mods at all.

I also asked about fitting a 1275 engine and they said a bog standard 1275 would cost me an extra £80 - Bargain!

With alot of classic policys you have to ring up to get a quote - They can't give you one online and alot of the time will even say on the website 25+ only. This only applies to online quotes in my case.

#15 minili

minili

Awesome and Flattering

• Members
  • 5,140 posts
  • Local Club: TMF South Central

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:59 PM

Classic insurance = no No Claims Bonus = higher premiums for longer

Best face up to paying well over £1000 for your first year's insurance, and the smaller the engine the better. Engine change would also put it up. Alot of companies won't even entertain a modified vehicle for a new driver so that will also cause you problems, but not declaring renders your insurance technically void.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users