#31 bristolminimad

bristolminimad

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Local Club: Swindon Mini AsoCiates

Posted 24 July 2005 - 03:40 PM

p.240 is a grade of paper, there are about 30 grades of sand paper.

from p.40-p4000 the lower the number the courser the paper. in a paint shop we don't use rougher than p.240.

if he's airbrushing on your boot lid, you'll have to clear coat over it to protect it! this could mean the boot look's shinier than the rest of the car, so you might have to clear coat the whole car for it to all math!

#32 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 03:43 PM

ah man, nothing simple for me this month. i guess i'll have to do a clear coat too. might get my mate to do all the grapics i want 1st then.

Thanks

#33 Ria

Ria

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 02:25 PM

I'm going to be respraying my mini myself towards the end of this year but I was thinking of doing something a bit funky with the roof, i.e. sparkle paint or pearl paint.

How hard is it to spray pearl paint and where can I get it made up in the Bristol area? Would I be better off getting this done by a professional?

With sparkle paint, how do I go about spraying the glitter on? I want the base colour to be white with glitter in it. Do I spray it white as normal and then go over with a glitter then lacquer on top of that (layering until I've got the required effect) or get white paint with the glitter already mixed in?

#34 bristolminimad

bristolminimad

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 07:16 PM

hi ria,you can paint pearls at home, you prep the roof, then spray a white base with the pearl mixxed into the laquer, this look's amazing but some pearls require more application over the white to get the effect.

as for getting it in bristol, a place in brislington called avon auto colours will sell you it. they are the best priced place in bristol!

for the glitter effect, i would take this to a profesional, it takes a lot of time to get the glitter to sit flat against the panel, if they don't sit level the finish feels rough and doesn't look very good. they apply the glitter in the same way as the pearl, but it takes a lot more time to get the correct effect.

#35 Ria

Ria

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 07:17 PM

How much should I expect to pay for a glitter effect roof?

Thanks for the help :w00t: :huh:

#36 bristolminimad

bristolminimad

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 08:21 PM

it varies on the size of the glitter you want, from abut £120 fot smallish to £400 for the realy big flakes! most people go in the middle so it stands out and is subtle.

#37 wadam

wadam

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Local Club: Miniaddicts.co.uk

Posted 25 July 2005 - 08:49 PM

Hi, my mini has a few rust areas as all minis do. i'll get them treated by a pro soon. I want to save a bit of cash by treateing a bit under the bonnet myself where no one can see. What product treats rust (kills it indefinately) and how do i do it?
Cheers.

Attached Files

#38 bristolminimad

bristolminimad

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 09:02 PM

i don't know of any that kills it indefinatly, there are a few that slows the rusting and helps stop it reappearing. in work we use some thing called "krust" it's a brush on primer that you can paint over, but you do need to remove asmuch loose rust as you can before you apply it. once dry you can prep the pannel and paint it. but looking at your photo the rust goes behind the grill edging and onto the front panel. if you are getting the front panel repainted, it might be a good idea for you to treat the rust and ask the paint shop just to put some colour over the treated area.

#39 wadam

wadam

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Local Club: Miniaddicts.co.uk

Posted 25 July 2005 - 09:03 PM

ok cheers for the advice.

#40 BlAck0ut

BlAck0ut

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 12:46 AM

Drill with a wire wheel and grind it all away down to bare metal, then do woteva BMM tells you to do with rubibng down, primer paint etc.

#41 PLIMERICK

PLIMERICK

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 07:46 AM

is there any website which shows you pics of prep work?

#42 bristolminimad

bristolminimad

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 07:17 PM

there will be on here hopfully next week. repainting a car in work so i'm taking pics now.

#43 Anram

Anram

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 02:09 PM

hi there

I just bought "Moomin" and i really want to respray her myself. Problem is it will be my first spray of any kind!!!

Please tell me where do i start?? :P

please see the pic. Im almost finished with the building of the dash and centre console.

Attached Files

#44 Ro8bieg

Ro8bieg

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts
  • Local Club: Fylde Mini Club

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:26 AM

Hi, how much would it be for an allover spray, arches aswell. (White all over?), Thanks.

#45 Coleman

Coleman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:54 AM

Hey, seems you know alot...maybe to much:P

Anyway, if you could help, i'd appreciate it.

Im from AUS and on my budget i cant afford a full respray. So what im thinking is sanding back the whole car [clubman] and then painting it myself. Im thinking of hiring an air compressor and then a paint gun and buying some paint and doing it. I have no problem with saiding and cutting out rust and priming etc. But is it complicated to spray with a spray gun? And how much paint do you reckon i would need for a clubby, will it be expenisve? Im looking for just a normal yellow colour:).

Thanks, James.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users