Photo
- - - - -

4x4 ! Discovery Scrapped And Discovery Saved !

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#16 racer36

racer36

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 03:14 PM

right whoeva sed bwt smashing up GOOD landrovers and minis can P*SS OFF !

no minis i have wrecked have been good and neither have any ladrovers including that 1 !

it had rust all down the inner wings and i had also bent all the body after jumping it

well bad guess aswell because anyone who knows what thier talking about would know instinctively that tha hole is for a snorkle ( now removed ) DUH !

also onlymelloyed thanks for that info iv checked the 110 and cant really see anything that relates to it bein an ex-armylandrover and iv also discoverd 2 places where the paint has come off and the bonnet was red and the body blue and inside was green......

also some pics of them are comming up.....
THE 110
Posted Image
Posted Image
THE 90
Posted Image
Posted Image
THE 300TDI
Posted Image

thir the pics i can find atm i cant find anyof the series 2 yet so ill just keep checking as takes me ages to take sum and put them on ere

might find it interesting that the 90 had a 200tdi discovery engine in it aswell
needs to get a few bits sorted but its in and rus and drives really well !quite quick aswell consiering all the less weight u have !

#17 onefastmoke

onefastmoke

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 05:35 PM

The 110 looks a it of a "bitsa". its got the correct military doors with sliding windows but can't see a lot else military, is there a plate or holes where an identification plate was on the side of the drivers seat box?

military doors with sliding windows

Posted Image

also the rear cross member should look like this:

Posted Image

as far as breaking mini's or land rovers at the end of the day its up to you what you do with your own cars so don't let people get to you and good luck with your defender project :shifty:

#18 gregh55

gregh55

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts
  • Local Club: naaa

Posted 26 December 2008 - 05:39 PM

aahh a 90 sweet mate was it a pick-up and you have put a hard top on it? make sure your high-lift deosnt get pinched if that whats its called?

#19 onefastmoke

onefastmoke

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 05:39 PM

and you can see the light switch in the centre of my dash that onlymelloyd was describing

Posted Image

#20 gregh55

gregh55

• Banned
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 05:47 PM

oh just realised on our disco its a 200tdi on the water pump caceing is there suposed to be a hole there because it seems like it should be there or is there suposed to be somthing in it as is pooring out water?

#21 racer36

racer36

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 06:02 PM

hi thanks for the info
the doors do look the same as yours and on the inside they have black solid door cards? dont know if this is army or original?
the rear crossmember looks standard and the chassis is mint and not welded and the whole landrover is original to how it was made
the engine is the old 2.5? not sure if its turbo or not but i dont think so

the blue discovery is having its engine and box ripped out and the 2.5 turbo is going into the 110

not sure what were going to do with the rest yet but as its taxd and MOT'D i might just chuck the V8 in but leave the rest as it is

dont suppose u know of a site u can get a guide to wire up a v8 do u?

the lift kit,steering guard,dislocation cones,tyres and whatever else was on the discovery is going onto the 90 as the suspention is just totally rusted and will probably snap if driven hard so the lift kit is gin on as its brand new lol

as you said yes they are mine so i can break them if i want to ,i don know why people are so upset about me doing my day-to-day buissness

im not sure what the 90 was originally but i got brand new sides for it and a second hand roof as both wernt the best
yeh ur right it is a HIGH-LIFT not many people get that lol its only on like that tempory because i will get a proper holder and lock for it so it wont get nicked no matter how hard they try lol

does anyone know where i can get sum cheap second hand doors? needs to have windows and function properly i need a back door and both sides also a windscreen and the little corner windows on the sides? also needs to be CHEAP as im 14 and only got like £50 for sum parts

also "onefastsmoke" can you put ur pic onto paint and point out the switch? i cant really see anything different

pics of now broken discovery up in my next post

thanks

#22 racer36

racer36

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 06:16 PM

Posted Image
twisting the mounts out of place

body off
Posted Image
Posted Image

body on floor
Posted Image

rolling chassis
Posted Image
Posted Image

V8 engine
Posted Image

body being crushed !
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

since the last pics the body has been totally flattend !

#23 onefastmoke

onefastmoke

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 06:18 PM

Posted Image

its the black round switch in the middle allows you to disable brake lights, indicators etc. for when driving using infra red or in convoy

looking at changing my 2.5 NA diesel to v8 myself as well sometime next year for the wiring just get yourself a discovery or defender haynes manual with both engine diagrams in and try to put the two together, if your discovery is an efi then I would be tempted to ditch the injection and get some carbs from an older range rover then you'll have no need for an ecu etc.

very good luck with finding some good doors but I doubt you will get anything with that budget. good doors are like the holy grail to defender owners so usually go for silly money. depending on what your use is going to be I've seen some very rotten ones repaired by riveting on checker plate to the bottoms, I know its a bodge job but it is a solid one and cheap.

#24 racer36

racer36

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 06:31 PM

i havent noticed any switches like that in the 110 but ill have a good look around the whole thing when i get chance
it is interesing to learn about the way military veichles have theese switches and attachments tho as its good knowledge and also as im planning on bein a mechanic in the army so its usefull ! so thanks for that :shifty:

iv checked the price of carbs and bits and they look at £700 for as good set,alsoyou then have to sort the mixture ect..and if you go up a steep bank and stall the fuel runs out of them so you cant restart which is why i cant understand why they use carbs in trials ! easier to change engines i supose lol

as for the doors im not botherd if they are defender doors or series,mine are not toatally rotten but have gone quite a bit and also thy are just bare doors there is nothing on them at allso need all that for windows ect....im looking more for series doors as i can then have sliding windows which are easier for my purpuse lol

can anyone make me a windscreen and the back windows out of perspex? or (anything that will fit ) its only tempory as it isent going on the road for a while yet! i will pay for it obv mind lol

#25 gregh55

gregh55

• Banned
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 08:33 PM

i think you should make a trayback i love them :shifty: like devon 4x4s its sweet not to keen on the checker plated wings they got on there now but there challenge wings or sumit like that lol

so whats your plans for the chassis?

Edited by gregh55, 26 December 2008 - 08:34 PM.

#26 onefastmoke

onefastmoke

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 09:13 PM

iv checked the price of carbs and bits and they look at £700 for as good set,alsoyou then have to sort the mixture ect..and if you go up a steep bank and stall the fuel runs out of them so you cant restart which is why i cant understand why they use carbs in trials ! easier to change engines i supose lol

don't worry too much about all singing and dancing carbs, standard ones do the job fine, early range rovers had either stromberg carbs or su carbs. just look for a complete su setup as these are better. seen loads go on ebay for around £25. when I used to have a range roverI changed from efi to su carbs and found a world of difference, never suffered from fuel starvation on steep inclines and after the initial setup never needed to touch the mixture again. they are generally used in trials etc because of their simplicity, efi = more electrics to get wet = more to go wrong. Oh and the noise from a carb fed v8 is much nicer as well :shifty:

#27 onlymelloyd

onlymelloyd

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Local Club: looking...

Posted 26 December 2008 - 10:19 PM

iv checked the 110 and cant really see anything that relates to it bein an ex-armylandrover and iv also discoverd 2 places where the paint has come off and the bonnet was red and the body blue and inside was green......

I would say its fair to guess that its not ex-army going on that, especially if its missing the army rear cross member. Looks like a good solid look-a-like though. Most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much!
Got to say for some one who is only 14 you have an incredible amount of know how, certainly more than I had at that age, and I suspect alot more than almost all other 14 year olds! Good work and good luck with the project(s) :shifty:

#28 racer36

racer36

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 12:01 AM

gregh55: i dont mind a pickup but as the cabs are too small and as im 6.1f tall with really long legs its uncomfortable to drive i am puttin checker plated wings and bonnet on tho ur the only person who has sed they dont like them lol

"the noise from a carb fed v8 is much nicer as well"
I AGREE WITH THAT ...
onefastsmoke: im looking into carbs but if im having them they will be the twins it would make it up a lost easier to stick the engine in yes,but at the moment i cant find any rangerover carbs iv been looking for ages,as for mixture ect... yes once its set up it will stay that way but the last V8 i did ( dads old rangerover a few years ago ) took me a longg time to set them up but i spose im better at mechanics nowadays i spose it would be worthwhile if i can find some as this engine is going to be in a lot of landroverss soon !

onlymelloyd:yeh i dont think its ex-army but its possibly bee nused somewhere in there as bits of it are noticeable as being from an ex-army landrover or its just had parts changed to make it look like it lol

"Got to say for some one who is only 14 you have an incredible amount of know how, certainly more than I had at that age, and I suspect alot more than almost all other 14 year olds! Good work and good luck with the project(s)"
<< also thanks for that not many people appricate that not all us younger kids are just yobbos getting p*ssed and drugged up on thee streets!

iv been a car/landrover nut since i was about 3 lol and has a 1st go at driving when i was 6 ( in a silver low-top mid wheel base 2.5 transit van that belonged to my dad lol )

the job im aiming for is a mechanic so i think iv had the right upbringing as i can now strip and rebuild preety much any veichle that im given :o :)

thanks

#29 gregh55

gregh55

• Banned
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 12:14 AM

i agree with you on the youngsters that get drunk and are on drugs im only 15 and like you ive lived with fast cars and bike all my life lol

i dont mind checker plate ontop of the wings to give them strength but devon 4x4s wings are completly out of checker plate lol

#30 Jimmy Hat

Jimmy Hat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 12:28 AM

Dont kids grow up fast these days? 14 and he owns what is it, 3 or 4 land rovers and apparently several Minis, most if not all of which are now smashed, and he's 6 foot 1??

Although I have to say, credit where it's due, you do seem to know what you're talking about and like me you keep yourself out of trouble!! I know a lot of people that don't, we seem to be a dying breed!!

I clearly know nothing about Landys though so Im gonna shut up and go to bed now :)|

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users