32 replies to this topic

#1 Its a mini thing

Its a mini thing

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:00 PM

Ok basically my mini insurance ran out today, the car is currently SORN so few days ago sureterm direct phoned me to give me details on renewing my policy, they said it wold me £399 etc, i said yeh ok, they said they would send me papers to confirm and i had 21 days to sign them and send them back, if i didnt cover would not continue, right with me so far?
i received the papers only to find that it was nearly £450 they wanted off me and that it worked out more a month than im paying now!
I have since had a few other quoted nearly £100 cheaper so as they have changed broker (basically someone else take the money out my account) iv had a letter off them confirming my direct debit details, there was also a cancellation form in there so iv signed that and sent it off, i phoned sureterm to tell them that i had found it cheaper and i no longer wish to renew my policy with them, baring in mind i only received the documentation yesterday and my insurance ran out today,
there now telling me because they have sent me a temporary cover not (temp insurance cert) that my policy had started and renewed as from today and i need to write an official letter telling i wish to cancel my policy and i may be faced with a cancellation fee, again baring in mind my cars only been insured from 2am this morning so just turned 12 hours!

So where do i stand, i havnt officially sent any documents back saying i agree with the terms, and they also gave me a completely different quote over the phone than iv been given on paper.

Edited by Its a mini thing, 07 January 2009 - 02:04 PM.

#2 the.stroker

the.stroker

TMF Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts
  • Name: Dan

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:04 PM

mate they are taking you for a ride,contact your local citizens advise for clarity,but imo they dont have a leg to stand on,if you have not signed and returned any documents confirming anything ( other then the cancellation form ) then there is no legal contract between you and them

Edited by the.stroker, 07 January 2009 - 02:05 PM.

#3 Its a mini thing

Its a mini thing

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:06 PM

yeh i thought so, yes, i may have said "yeh ok" over the phone but again that dosnt show anything on there system unless they have my signature does it, i was also told when they read all that crappy terms and conditions over the phone that i had so many days to cancel if i chose to, and there is NO WAY im paying a cancellation charge when the took out the renewal without my conformation and when iv only been insured for 12 hours!

Edited by Its a mini thing, 07 January 2009 - 02:07 PM.

#4 onlymelloyd

onlymelloyd

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Local Club: looking...

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:06 PM

Sounds fishy to me. Usually you have 14? days to cancel a policy with no cancellation fee. I would ring them again if I were you and state that a) you did not authorise the new policy b) you don't want it and request it be cancelled.

#5 Its a mini thing

Its a mini thing

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:08 PM

yeh i thought it was 14 days that rings a bell, gonna phone and speek to someone else i think

#6 Its a mini thing

Its a mini thing

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:50 PM

i have phoned them only to find that a verbal answer is indeed enough conformation to renew a policy! if thats the case why the **** do they sent out all that crap to sign! i have now cancelled the policy by email to an address they have sent me and iv got to pay a cancellation fee of £75! for 13hours worth of insurance! NOT HAPPY

#7 WiredbyWilson

WiredbyWilson

WiredByWilson

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts
  • Local Club: WiredByWilson

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:52 PM

did you ask to spaek to a manager etc?? I am 99% sure you have a 14 day cooling of period with ANY purchase!

I would be back on the phone and kicking up royally, don't le it go mate as you didn't authorise any payments to be made. Oh and cancel the DD with the bank ;D

#8 Its a mini thing

Its a mini thing

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:58 PM

that was a manager i spoke too, i have already cancelled the direct debit, iv just gotta make sure that they dont start a new one under a different name as they have changed brokers. they havnt actually taken any payments out as its not due till the 21st but because i said "yeh ok" over the phone and he read out all the terms and conditions to me, that was conformation, the calls are also recorded *******!

Edited by Its a mini thing, 07 January 2009 - 02:59 PM.

#9 jpd

jpd

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Local Club: minis'n'oatcakes

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:59 PM

hi mate...i have the joy of sitting within a customer complaints dept.

-nowdays it is fairly standard for all calls to be recorded nowdays, id be surprised if the insurance company didnt. get them to play the call back, and if what you have described be true, you should have a good case

-an alternative would be to get in touch with these guys - www.consumerdirect.gov.uk, its a free (yes free) government service, which will advise you the best way forward, these guys were great for advise on my engine recon woes, and i know other people, who have used them.

#10 Its a mini thing

Its a mini thing

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 03:01 PM

the bit i cant understand is it says quite clearly that i have 14 days to cancel the policy with a cancellation fee and i took the so called policy out on the 30th of December. so why am i having to pay

#11 Its a mini thing

Its a mini thing

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 03:03 PM

they have a customer complaints number so gonna give em some beef now lol

#12 WiredbyWilson

WiredbyWilson

WiredByWilson

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts
  • Local Club: WiredByWilson

Posted 07 January 2009 - 03:03 PM

that is the question they have to answer. but does it state there is a fee within the first 14 days as your post isn't clear.

#13 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 07 January 2009 - 03:05 PM

i would also go into your bank and tell them the insurance company have taken out money for a policy you told them you didn't want

#14 Its a mini thing

Its a mini thing

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 03:24 PM

phoned em and the bloke was very sympathetic but states that because i said yes over the phone i have entered into a legal contract, and it dosnt matter if i have been insured 15 minutes or 15 hours the fee would still be £75, cant be arsed now, just gonna pay the effing thing, im sick of phoning people lol

#15 nathansminis

nathansminis

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 03:32 PM

reguardless of whether you said yes or no on the phone, you should still get the 14 days 'thinking' period. i would be suprised if there was a cancellation fee within those 2 weeks.

double check the small print. most of the time cancellation fees do not apply to the first 14 days.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users