Photo
- - - - -

Original Registration / Identity And Sva?

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#61 Bounce

Bounce

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 02:11 PM

If you are 'awarded' a Q-plate, can you not just get yourself a personalised plate?

#62 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Local Club: Geeks N Freaks

Posted 11 March 2009 - 03:39 PM

If you are 'awarded' a Q-plate, can you not just get yourself a personalised plate?

no you cant, ive looked into this.

:P

#63 Bounce

Bounce

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:06 AM

Oh, well that sucks.

#64 Bounce

Bounce

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:20 AM

I hate bureaucracy. It seems like you can go in circles on this topic. With ref. to my question above.

Quoted from this pdf

Registration numbers starting with ‘Q’
If a vehicle has a registration number starting with
‘Q’ or Northern Ireland (NI) ‘Q’ prefix, that registration
number cannot be transferred and must stay on
the vehicle unless evidence of its age is found.
In this case, you should send the evidence to your
nearest DVLA local office who can then provide a
replacement registration number appropriate to the
age of the vehicle.

#65 Bounce

Bounce

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:23 AM

So, surely if you still have chassis numbers and such like, a DVLA office will offer you a replacemant age related plate? There for enabling you to get a personal plate?

#66 smartuki

smartuki

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 02:23 PM

So, surely if you still have chassis numbers and such like, a DVLA office will offer you a replacemant age related plate? There for enabling you to get a personal plate?

if you have stuff like the brakes , rack , steering ,wheels dont you carry enough of what they call points to hold the original reg ??

same said if you use new or recon parts an can prov this you can get a new reg ?

but that beeing said they change there minds and rules that much .
i once got given a Q reg on a landrover that i built from 2 damaged ones it was lookaed at by north hants dvla, , i was not happy with the Q as had trouble insuring it .
i took it to reading for a "second oppinion" an got the original 51 plate from one of the crashed trucks..

this is from VOSA at newbury when i spoke to them about it lol .

"even they dont know the rules on it , its down to who you talk to, an the oppinion they draw on what you tell them."

so it would seem its pot luck

#67 benmini

benmini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 09:47 AM

I'm thinking of buying a fibreglass shell and fitting a Honda VTEC engine in it - I might use all 'new' parts - It will be a brand new vehicle. Do I get 'Q Plate or '09 plates'

Thanks

#68 Phaeton

Phaeton

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 04:30 PM

I'm thinking of buying a fibreglass shell and fitting a Honda VTEC engine in it - I might use all 'new' parts - It will be a brand new vehicle. Do I get 'Q Plate or '09 plates'

Thanks

If you do use all 'new' parts then you will get a 'new' registration currently '09' however you will have to prove you have used all new parts. You will be allowed to use 1 (I think, need to confirm) reconditioned back to new part, so you could use a fully reconditioned engine & still get a '09 plate.

Alan...

#69 smartuki

smartuki

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 10:20 PM

Thanks

If you do use all 'new' parts then you will get a 'new' registration currently '09' however you will have to prove you have used all new parts. You will be allowed to use 1 (I think, need to confirm) reconditioned back to new part, so you could use a fully reconditioned engine & still get a '09 plate.

Alan...

dont they say if reconditioned then its clased as a new part ?, thats how it used to be ?.
who knows lol , , they dont even know , so what hope do we have ?.

#70 pete

pete

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 08:32 PM

Only one second hand part can be used and this has to be reconditioned to as new. You need receipts for everything else to prove you brought the parts new. And then you also need the nice DVLA man to inspect the car and agree it's all new and issue you a new reg.

#71 pete

pete

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 04:12 PM

Spoke to an sva tester today and asked whether an sva would be needed if you fitted the kit into a standard mini. In his opinion, if you notify dvla of the engine change and give them the new engine number, as long as they accept this then it doesn't need an sva. I must stress that this was his opinion as an sva tester and other tester's may have different opinions but ultimately it is up to the individual person at vosa that you speak to at that time. If you speak to someone else the next day you may get a different answer. It would appear that you will never get a straight answer out of anyone.

#72 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:59 PM

I called last week to try and figure out why i had not heard from the dvla in regards to getting my car inspected, They never got back to me because they (dvla swansea) had already seen a zcars mini and were looking into it further.
He said that the car inspected was one fitted with a normal road kit, a bike engine and still retained the front subframe. so i was to wait for its outcome although a final decision on my car would have been based on an individual inspection.

i called again today to check on the progress.(when i say called i mean i rang the national number who bumped it to the local office, who bumped me to swansea who called me back).
it turned out i did not require and i had filled the wrong form out and the wrong info on the v55/5 form out anyway.

it seems that zcars minis do in fact need Q plates and SVA tests ,unless they are all new parts bar one then its an SVA test and a new reg.

They are sending me that in writing along with the correct forms.

I was on the phone for about 30 mins with the dvla man. i asked him as many questions as i could ask about what i would need to do to keep the original reg plate. His answer was if it kept 3 main parts from the orig car. unaltered Chassis , orig suspension, orig steering. etc. he said that the chassis is altered. because of this he said that even if i could fit the orig factory suspension to the car that i still had no chance. he agreed that the steering is unaltered as factory.

The way they calculate that is to ask whoever they can if the part can be ordered from the factory and fitted as per the factory. the shell is not as the factory rolled out. the suspension is zcars's (thank god!) and yes the entire steering could be from factory.

the man was very knowledgeable and helpful and clearly was someone who actually knew what he was talking about. We talked about what ramifications this has knowing this if i just tried to get an MOT and nothing else. he said you could just get away with it for years, unless you had an accident where the car was fully inspected by the insurance company or by vosa / dvla. at that point they say that the car is not a mini, therefor the sva test and a Q plate would be needed. then the insurance is not valid as its reg is different / invalid. At this point he said that you could be liable for the insurance payout, driving without correct insurance etc.
serious stuff but only if people had to look into your car for whatever reason.
Its likely that MOT stations could set the ball rolling at any time like the case with the land rover.

So its not the outcome we all wanted. i now have the joys of trying to pass an sva / IVA test with no Cat and no collapsable steering column. Its a cluster bomb of problems. and then i have a car that in some eyes is less valuable now because it will be on a Q plate.

this project is already mega money. its just cost more.

to be honest its not that much of a shock though is it? we have made kit cars after all.

one thing to note, he said it will always be an Austin Mini on the logbook though. no way to change this as its appearance is as a factory mini. Ha.
what a *woman of ill repute*.

#73 Bounce

Bounce

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:25 PM

Maybe you can ask your man about this.

Quoted from this pdf

INF46, Section 6, para 5

age of the vehicle.

The chassis number alone must be enough evidence of the cars age. If not you should have old MOT certs with chassis numbers and the original reg no. on them. So according to what I quoted above you can still get an age related registration number. Not ideal, but age related at least.

#74 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:16 AM

Maybe you can ask your man about this.

Quoted from this pdf

INF46, Section 6, para 5

age of the vehicle.

The chassis number alone must be enough evidence of the cars age. If not you should have old MOT certs with chassis numbers and the original reg no. on them. So according to what I quoted above you can still get an age related registration number. Not ideal, but age related at least.

without asking him i can guess at the outcome. he will say something along the lines of the chassis is one of the 3 major parts needed to prove its identity.
he would then ask you to prove the rest, which you cant.
if you fitted the mini gearbox and engine in the back of the zcars mini then you can call it by its orig reg or age related. (engine, transmission, steering all as factory)

#75 miRon

miRon

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,993 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:48 AM

dont most of these z-car owners get scared and sell them any ways?
lol

Al,
i really think your worring a little bit too much i understand its alot of money to lose
but there is easily a 1000 converted minis on the road with out all this sva stuff,
i think your just digging yourself a big hole,
imho..

p.s can you take me for a spin when its done??
lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users