#1 Disco Dan

Disco Dan

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Local Club: MCCoA

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:26 PM

998Dave - I'm half way through tidying to reopen this, will do the rest when I'm home

Hoping to have a good debate here on this one...

Maybe it is just me, perhaps i'm getting old... not sure...

Why when this classic car is becoming rarer by the day do people insist on modifying it? Adding turbos and motorbike engines etc etc ? I even saw a thread on how someone actually owns an spi and wants to put an older engine in it to get the carb! ! !

Now look, I know the situation is different in the UK but here there is only a few mpi minis - prob 10 at the most in the whole country. The others - closer to a hundred maybe, are the carb versions. I know of only two vans and one MK1 in the country.

I just cannot understand why the 'young' generation is so intent on making everything go faster, louder and with bigger speakers than a concert!

This country is currently having big problems with what police have dubbed "boy racers" - packs of youths driving around with dustbin exhausts and neon lights causing chaos on the streets. Everyone is trying to be 'better' than their peer.

I know the mini genre is different, but there is still those that think putting a honda engine in a mini and driving it around makes them a classic car enthusiast.

To be honest - if I had my way, I would make insurance premuims MASSIVE for anyone that puts aftermarket non standard parts on their car.

There are actually people thick enough to cut the springs on their cars to lower them! They have no idea how unsafe they have made their vehicle, how much risk they put on others around them. Painting your car pink and putting fluffy seat covers on is one thing but cutting suspension, adding turbos to classic cars, putting motorbike engines in minis??? Its madness!!!

It appears the majority of TMF members are under 25 (from reading the post content). So I am interested in hearing about what it is that motivates the young people of today to mutilate the classic mini, making them rarer and the whole industry more expensive...

Rant over!! Note, this is not a dig - I have nothing against anyone I am mearly curious and wish to understand the subject better!!!

Edited by 998dave, 26 February 2009 - 04:59 PM.
Title Changed,

#2 Goldie1275

Goldie1275

Brilliant With Her Baubles

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Local Club: Surrey Hills Mini Group

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:30 PM

I'm 22, and personally I would rather restore then modify. If I was to modify I would probably use period modifications, or make the original more reliable so I was able to use it on a daily basis.
I don't personally understand the need for 10 speakers in a car, especially a small one like a mini, and it's impressive the first time someone puts in a motorbike engine or what have yu, but I'm bored of that now.
Maybe I'm a minority?

also isn't there already a high mark up for aftermarket modifications etc.?

Edited by Goldie1275, 20 February 2009 - 02:31 PM.

#3 daemonchild

daemonchild

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts
  • Local Club: Unknown

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:31 PM

Oooh.. I like it.
Light blue touch paper, retire to safe distance. :ermm:

(I'm 32 in a few weeks so far to old to comment :thumbsup:)

#4 Sieve

Sieve

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Local Club: Eastbourne & District

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:33 PM

I personally think you can do what you like to something that's your own property. People have been modifying mini's since they came out, nothing new there. Only thing i don't agree with is the stupidly loud exhausts. Apart from that, go for it! And yes, i have a modified mini. But i also have a standard one too.

#5 mighty mini jack

mighty mini jack

Mighty Before a Pint

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:34 PM

To be honest - if I had my way, I would make insurance premuims MASSIVE for anyone that puts aftermarket non standard parts on their car.

What would you class as unapceptable then ?

#6 Disco Dan

Disco Dan

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:35 PM

I'm 22, and personally I would rather restore then modify. If I was to modify I would probably use period modifications, or make the original more reliable so I was able to use it on a daily basis.
I don't personally understand the need for 10 speakers in a car, especially a small one like a mini, and it's impressive the first time someone puts in a motorbike engine or what have yu, but I'm bored of that now.
Maybe I'm a minority?

also isn't there already a high mark up for aftermarket modifications etc.?

I agree that it is impressive to see a motorbike engine in a mini. Note the "A" emphasis!! ! !

You must know the type though? Massive body kits on a mini lowered so much it is unable to go over even the smallest bump in the road, an exhast large enough to insert a small toddler in... get the idea?? :ermm:

#7 mini_mad69

mini_mad69

Let future you worry about it

• Traders
  • 5,417 posts
  • Local Club: urrrr no

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:36 PM

Im young, ive modified my Mini. I like it, it handles better, goes faster, is easier to live with as an everyday car and no one can stop me.

#8 rimmer1993

rimmer1993

Not A New Toilet Cleaning Product

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Local Club: Bodgit Scarper and Co.

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:36 PM

I'm 15 and love minis anythng to do with them. i know most of the history. I CAN understand u about the engine there is nothing better than putting a tuned a-series in a mini but one of the best thing about the mini is how personal you can make them. I personally am restoring my mini although i will make slight mods to it so it is MY mini and my heart and soul is within it :ermm:

#9 brad88

brad88

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Local Club: minimusmaximus

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:37 PM

im 20 and would love nothing more than to have a perfect original mini (mk1/2), the mk5 i have at the minute has stage 1 kit etc on it and that will be about it for 'modifications' the exterior is going to look quite original with maybe a chance in the future it might see some rally stuff being added, everyone has the right to do what they like to their property/cars and im all for modifying but to a certain degree, the line does need to be drawn at silly exhausts,neons,huge wheels etc etc
i like my mini to mask my image,because at the end of the day its mine!
brad :ermm:

Edited by brad88, 20 February 2009 - 02:41 PM.

#10 minivanman

minivanman

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts
  • Local Club: Backstreet Minis

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:37 PM

I'm 20, I've had my van 3 years now. It had already been butchered when I got it, so I had no objections whatsoever doing what I've done to it. If I'd restored it to standard I'd have been stuck with a poxy gutless 850, horrible standard seats, no stereo, one clock, and boring 10" steels. I appreciate a well restored classic, but it wouldnt be good for what I use it for. Same goes for my other mini - the work had already been done to it, I've just done a full nut and bolt resto on it to turn it into the car I want it to be.

#11 rimmer1993

rimmer1993

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:38 PM

Not just young people by the way

Edited by rimmer1993, 20 February 2009 - 02:41 PM.

#12 onefastmoke

onefastmoke

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:40 PM

Posted Image

in all fairness here, why not let people modify or restore to their hearts content, the main point is that the cars are still on the road. thats why the mini is so well loved it appeals to young & old, rich & poor. if people start to make a divide between restored and modified the entire marque won't last. people have mdified the mini from day one, changing wheels and engines etc.
each to their own I say

#13 Disco Dan

Disco Dan

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:41 PM

What would you class as unapceptable then ?

Changing anything that was not on the car when it left the factory. With the expection of factory optional extras.

Anything else added to car would cause insurance to skyrocket - not only higher risk of theft but also for altering the design of the car could easily compromise safety.

I also agree with the other post reagarding the right to do what you like with your own property - heck when I own my own home I have big plans. BUT they cannot impact on others and their safety. The cruicial difference is that it is a public shared road.

Dont get me wrong - i'm not saying I want to see only standard cars on the road, and make all these massive changes - as I said in my original post... I want to know WHY and UNDERSTAND WHY young people do it. Impress your friends??? That is my question!

#14 mighty mini jack

mighty mini jack

Mighty Before a Pint

• Members
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:44 PM

Many things epople add to minis such as Crappy speakers and huge echuats can be removed, i personally hate modern speakers etc in mini..But thats me and i know that theres a whole load of people who like to fill then up with subs etc..

What do you think about hi-lo's then? Or aftermarket shocks and other suspension bits that can be bought today ?

#15 rimmer1993

rimmer1993

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:44 PM

We it to make it ours and as we want it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users