#17 rimmer1993

rimmer1993

Not A New Toilet Cleaning Product

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Local Club: Bodgit Scarper and Co.

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:46 PM

Many things epople add to minis such as Crappy speakers and huge echuats can be removed, i personally hate modern speakers etc in mini..But thats me and i know that theres a whole load of people who like to fill then up with subs etc..

What do you think about hi-lo's then? Or aftermarket shocks and other suspension bits that can be bought today ?

I hate them with u :ermm:

#18 Disco Dan

Disco Dan

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Local Club: MCCoA

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:47 PM

in all fairness here, why not let people modify or restore to their hearts content, the main point is that the cars are still on the road. thats why the mini is so well loved it appeals to young & old, rich & poor. if people start to make a divide between restored and modified the entire marque won't last. people have mdified the mini from day one, changing wheels and engines etc.
each to their own I say

Indeed, that is correct - part of the appeal is the huge potential for modification. Modifications of cars will always be a large part of the industry - however WHY is the question.

Why do people put big exhausts on their cars?? Heck most of the time the larger tailpipe actually reduces the cars performance!! But it makes it sound 'loud' and then governments have had to introduce a sound limitation and other similar laws to limit people - trouble is there is way to many stupid people to let it go un tapped!!

#19 Marky Tizz

Marky Tizz

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,434 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:48 PM

I don't do anything to my mini to impress my friends... just to please myself :ermm: oh, and give the boy racers a run for their money off the lights. It's fun.

#20 brad88

brad88

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Local Club: minimusmaximus

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:49 PM

i modify my mini to make it part of me as thats the person i am! (creative) dont get me wrong i agree 100% with the cut springs etc etc as thats just stupid/unsafe/dangerous etc etc, but the way i (and probably 99% of every other modifier i have ever met) modify my car is with proper parts and stylish mods, i dont think anyone does it to impress there mates etc ( i know i dont) but its always nice to have something different that someone comments on and says 'that look really smart what you have done to that' its just all about taste at the end of the day,
brad :ermm:

#21 Disco Dan

Disco Dan

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:50 PM

And its not just the "young-uns" :ermm:

So older and single with a large disposable income also modify their minis? :thumbsup: (P/T)

#22 Mini_the_Minx

Mini_the_Minx

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:50 PM

It is all down to personal taste. Just because you don't like something does not mean others have the same view. I have modified my Mini because I wanted to. I have filled mine with 'more speakers than a concert' and I have a few mates that have 'mutilated' their Mini's with turbo's and I am very sure we all take as much pride in our cars as you do.

You may like to keep your Mini standard but what about people that use their's for track or showing? Where can you draw the line with 'modifications'?

I didn't buy my Mini's and modify them with the intention of selling either one. It is styled to MY taste and nobody elses, because they are MY cars. Each to their own and all that.

I don't really see what you have to gain by starting this topic apart from quite a few arguments. Some might be offended with the suggestion that they have 'ruined' or 'mutilated' their cars.

#23 minivanman

minivanman

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,454 posts
  • Local Club: Backstreet Minis

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:53 PM

bodykits and huge exhausts just look stupid, but if people want to do it, thats up to them. I modify mine to make them go faster, handle better and stop better. I think they look better too, but I suppose thats a matter of opinion. None of what I've done is exactly dangerous - bolting new components on isnt - I'm not going cutting springs or anything daft. A standard mini has relatively crap performance, which is why people modify them.

#24 M44K TS

M44K TS

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:55 PM

I think the general consensus will be to personalise their car. I for one have modified mine with what i would class as tastefull mods, (no lairy bodykits, etc.) just a nice late model interior, very subtle wheel arches and wheels and a 1275 replacement (WIP) amongst a few other things.

The whole idea behind it was to update the car and make it a bit easier to live with, although, naturally, other people will be modifiing their cars for different reasons. Also, you've got to remember that it's not just Mini's that get changed about, but a hell of alot of other cars too, i mean just take a look at the VW scene with all the rat look cars, efectivle, sending their cars to an early grave bodywise.

Also, when you say about non standard modifications, then i don't see an issue with that if it' in-keeping with the car. And as for massive insurance hikes for such items, then as long as they're E-marked (maybe 'Type Apporoval' where you're from) then i don't see a problem with regards to lights etc.

One last thing, Practical Performance Car magazine ran an article about chopping down springs, they ran a concise test and the outcome was that they can be done safely and work very well.

#25 Disco Dan

Disco Dan

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:56 PM

I don't do anything to my mini to impress my friends... just to please myself :ermm: oh, and give the boy racers a run for their money off the lights. It's fun.

Surely that only encourages them???

i modify my mini to make it part of me as thats the person i am! (creative) dont get me wrong i agree 100% with the cut springs etc etc as thats just stupid/unsafe/dangerous etc etc, but the way i (and probably 99% of every other modifier i have ever met) modify my car is with proper parts and stylish mods, i dont think anyone does it to impress there mates etc ( i know i dont) but its always nice to have something different that someone comments on and says 'that look really smart what you have done to that' its just all about taste at the end of the day,
brad :thumbsup:

Ahh, thank you - now we are talking!

#26 Asphalt

Asphalt

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • Local Club: Member of a Local Club?:

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:56 PM

I just cannot understand why the 'young' generation is so intent on making everything go faster, louder and with bigger speakers than a concert!

This country is currently having big problems with what police have dubbed "boy racers" - packs of youths driving around with dustbin exhausts and neon lights causing chaos on the streets. Everyone is trying to be 'better' than their peer.

I know the mini genre is different, but there is still those that think putting a honda engine in a mini and driving it around makes them a classic car enthusiast.

Masive bainwash by the 'bling' industry via the medias!

I think 'The fast and the furious' and 'Pimp my ride' were the most succesfull attempts in mass-brainwash ever! :ermm:

#27 minivanman

minivanman

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,454 posts
  • Local Club: Backstreet Minis

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:57 PM

I don't really see what you have to gain by starting this topic apart from quite a few arguments. Some might be offended with the suggestion that they have 'ruined' or 'mutilated' their cars.

Or it could spark an interesting conversation. But this being TMF, someone will take offence at it, get the mardies, start an argument and it will get closed.

#28 998dave

998dave

998cc's Of Dave Goodness

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,566 posts
  • Name: Dave

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:01 PM

Changing anything that was not on the car when it left the factory. With the expection of factory optional extras.
Anything else added to car would cause insurance to skyrocket - not only higher risk of theft but also for altering the design of the car could easily compromise safety.

How dreadfully boring, 5.5 million standard cars running round! One of the reasons the car was and continues to be so popular is because it's affordable to buy and modify!

I'm fine with dangerous modifications, but all of my cars are modified, from stage 1 kit and some chrome on the 998, to a full period convertible conversion on the Hornet, 1275 MG engine in my Mayfair, and haven't even decided what with the Sprite.

Dont get me wrong - i'm not saying I want to see only standard cars on the road, and make all these massive changes - as I said in my original post... I want to know WHY and UNDERSTAND WHY young people do it. Impress your friends??? That is my question!

Personally because I love the engineering of it, none of my cars have 'pointless bodykits' or similar, everything I do is to improve the driving experience. Stage 1 kit, more power and better fuel, different seats are more comfortable, wheels and tyres for better traction and grip. MG engine for more power. Halogen headlights to improve safety, etc.

Is your car exactly as it left the factory? Seats, tyres, lights? I think you've generalised here, I don't like some modifications, but the thing is they're our cars and we can do what we like...

Dave

#29 brad88

brad88

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Local Club: minimusmaximus

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:02 PM

I just cannot understand why the 'young' generation is so intent on making everything go faster, louder and with bigger speakers than a concert!

This country is currently having big problems with what police have dubbed "boy racers" - packs of youths driving around with dustbin exhausts and neon lights causing chaos on the streets. Everyone is trying to be 'better' than their peer.

I know the mini genre is different, but there is still those that think putting a honda engine in a mini and driving it around makes them a classic car enthusiast.

Masive bainwash by the 'bling' industry via the medias!

I think 'The fast and the furious' and 'Pimp my ride' were the most succesfull attempts in mass-brainwash ever! :thumbsup:

i LOVE the fast and furious films (cant wait for the new one!) and pimp my ride but would never EVER want a car thats is in either of them! BUT saying that i can see why people would watch so called shows and 'want apiece of the action' so to speak- good example mate, so true! :ermm:

#30 GottaDesigner

GottaDesigner

The Brains Behind TMF's Secret Santa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:02 PM

I pride myself on having an as-near-as-dammit original car.

I'm a 27yo female and a 'keep it classic' type, before I get asked.

So, what mods has my Monty got? Sensible ones. Halogen headlights, unleaded conversion, alarm/immobiliser and a reasonable sub-£100 stereo and two speakers along with a centre console. Nothing outrageous or dangerous there at all, right? Still they're modifications of a sort and by your standards that's unnacceptable and I should pay ludicrous insurance premiums as a result. I beg to differ.

I must say, I understand where you're coming from, I hate boy racers too and delight in showing them what a well-tuned but ultimately unmolested little 998 can do :ermm: The looks on their faces are priceless at times.

I say respect the origin and nature of the Mini and modify as it suits you, but don't chav it with gull-wing doors, dustbin sized exhausts and more neons and sound than Blackpool on a bankholiday weekend. The Mini was designed as a simple little run-around, so turning it into a spaceship with current tech is a form of sacriledge to my mind.

Keep it simple and sane. You don't need a bike engine when a well-respected A-Series will get you there just as quickly. The national speed limit is still only 70mph :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users