#31 Disco Dan

Disco Dan

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Local Club: MCCoA

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:03 PM

I don't really see what you have to gain by starting this topic apart from quite a few arguments. Some might be offended with the suggestion that they have 'ruined' or 'mutilated' their cars.

That is the intention - to insult people who have modified their cars, I want them to tell me why. I want to understand. I have a much better picture now, but will keep reading!!!

One last thing, Practical Performance Car magazine ran an article about chopping down springs, they ran a concise test and the outcome was that they can be done safely and work very well.

Performance Car magazine - now they would be a tad bias dont you think? I would have to strongly disagree and side with the many government laws and strict warrent of fitness (MOT) standards on that one. I have seen many a car 'bounce' along the road after driving over the smallest bump several hundrend meters prior!! Cut springs have been proven dangerous and a magazine written by 'youfs' is hardly proof ???

#32 Juju

Juju

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,620 posts
  • Local Club: Antisocial club (members = 1)

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:04 PM

Ooooh! 21 users reading this thread..... :thumbsup:

I must say it breaks my heart to see some of things people do to their "classics" in the name of chasing performance or personalisation, but that is just a matter of taste.

Why do people have certain haircuts?
Have tattoos?
Piercings?
Listen to music that you don't understand?
Wear clothes that you think are laughable?

It's a good question though....carry on! :ermm:

#33 998dave

998dave

998cc's Of Dave Goodness

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,566 posts
  • Name: Dave

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:04 PM

Also Dan, what do you think about modifications like fitting towbars?
That's non-standard, could make the car more dangerous if not done properly, etc...

Dave

#34 drummerian

drummerian

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:07 PM

whats your opinions on professional modificatiosn such as those made by Cooper?

#35 brad88

brad88

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Local Club: minimusmaximus

i dont think dan is saying ALL modification are bad at all! he is asking as to WHY people do them! especially UNSAFE ones (cut springs etc) which in turn makes the mot tests stricter,laws stricter etc etc :ermm:
imo cut springs can be 'safe' but only if cut by professionals (to perfection) not by someone in there back garden because that is 'unsafe!'
brad :thumbsup:

Edited by brad88, 20 February 2009 - 03:10 PM.

#36 Geehawk

Geehawk

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

I'm older, married, and have very little disposable income.

I've owned my Clubman for about 20 years, and have modified it every few years, as my tastes change, not to follow any sort of modifying fashion. It was my first car, and I specifically wanted a clubby over a roundnose, long before the current Clubby loving trend.

Nothing I've done to it can't be undone, but hey why would I want to.

Yes I class myself as a classic car enthusiast, I just don't hold to the opinion that everything about a classic is great and deserves to be retained.

Personally I find it hard understand people who call themselves Mini enthusiasts when they buy, scrap, write off and generally abuse many Minis a year.

I dont mind the young'uns doing what they want to their cars, but I do on occasion get exasperated when they spend a fortune on wheels, seats, and all sorts of bolt on bits before fixings all the faults with the cars structure and mechanics.

#37 Disco Dan

Disco Dan

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Local Club: MCCoA

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:09 PM

I pride myself on having an as-near-as-dammit original car.

I'm a 27yo female and a 'keep it classic' type, before I get asked.

So, what mods has my Monty got? Sensible ones. Halogen headlights, unleaded conversion, alarm/immobiliser and a reasonable sub-£100 stereo and two speakers along with a centre console. Nothing outrageous or dangerous there at all, right? Still they're modifications of a sort and by your standards that's unnacceptable and I should pay ludicrous insurance premiums as a result. I beg to differ.

I must say, I understand where you're coming from, I hate boy racers too and delight in showing them what a well-tuned but ultimately unmolested little 998 can do :ermm: The looks on their faces are priceless at times.

I say respect the origin and nature of the Mini and modify as it suits you, but don't chav it with gull-wing doors, dustbin sized exhausts and more neons and sound than Blackpool on a bankholiday weekend. The Mini was designed as a simple little run-around, so turning it into a spaceship with current tech is a form of sacriledge to my mind.
Keep it simple and sane. You don't need a bike engine when a well-respected A-Series will get you there just as quickly. The national speed limit is still only 70mph :thumbsup:

Give this woman a cookie!! Best post yet. You hit the nail on the head there.

Also Dan, what do you think about modifications like fitting towbars?
That's non-standard, could make the car more dangerous if not done properly, etc...

Dave

Clever :( but the mini was released with a towbar as a factory optional extra, there was even a special caravan called a 'superlite' made from aluminium specifically for the mini.

#38 Mini_the_Minx

Mini_the_Minx

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:09 PM

I don't really see what you have to gain by starting this topic apart from quite a few arguments. Some might be offended with the suggestion that they have 'ruined' or 'mutilated' their cars.

That is the intention - to insult people who have modified their cars, I want them to tell me why. I want to understand. I have a much better picture now, but will keep reading!!!

Your intention is to insult people? Is this because they are faster than you? Their Mini's look nicer than yours? Their Mini gets more attention than yours?

We shouldn't have to explain ourselves to anybody, especially not somebody that has no interest in listening to peoples reasons. Starting a topic to simply insult people is very petty and childish.

#39 rimmer1993

rimmer1993

Not A New Toilet Cleaning Product

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Local Club: Bodgit Scarper and Co.

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:10 PM

I pride myself on having an as-near-as-dammit original car.

I'm a 27yo female and a 'keep it classic' type, before I get asked.

So, what mods has my Monty got? Sensible ones. Halogen headlights, unleaded conversion, alarm/immobiliser and a reasonable sub-£100 stereo and two speakers along with a centre console. Nothing outrageous or dangerous there at all, right? Still they're modifications of a sort and by your standards that's unnacceptable and I should pay ludicrous insurance premiums as a result. I beg to differ.

I must say, I understand where you're coming from, I hate boy racers too and delight in showing them what a well-tuned but ultimately unmolested little 998 can do :thumbsup: The looks on their faces are priceless at times.

I say respect the origin and nature of the Mini and modify as it suits you, but don't chav it with gull-wing doors, dustbin sized exhausts and more neons and sound than Blackpool on a bankholiday weekend. The Mini was designed as a simple little run-around, so turning it into a spaceship with current tech is a form of sacriledge to my mind.

Keep it simple and sane. You don't need a bike engine when a well-respected A-Series will get you there just as quickly. The national speed limit is still only 70mph :(

I live 7 miles away from blackpool an can see the neons from our beach :ermm: i know what u mean xD

#40 Hannioli

Hannioli

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • 1,786 posts
  • Local Club: E.L.M.O & Essex

To be honest - if I had my way, I would make insurance premuims MASSIVE for anyone that puts aftermarket non standard parts on their car.

What would you class as unapceptable then ?

Changing anything that was not on the car when it left the factory. With the expection of factory optional extras.

Anything else added to car would cause insurance to skyrocket - not only higher risk of theft but also for altering the design of the car could easily compromise safety.

I also agree with the other post reagarding the right to do what you like with your own property - heck when I own my own home I have big plans. BUT they cannot impact on others and their safety. The cruicial difference is that it is a public shared road.

Dont get me wrong - i'm not saying I want to see only standard cars on the road, and make all these massive changes - as I said in my original post... I want to know WHY and UNDERSTAND WHY young people do it. Impress your friends??? That is my question!

Umm...as posed before, what about things like hi-los or a better brake set up for example, they weren't factory options :thumbsup: What's wrong with things like these? I fanything these improve the safety for all.

Also, how does a body kit impact on others safety...? :(

I understand where you're coming from as I'm not a huge fan of overly modified minis, but your argument doesn't seem to be very educated.

Almost all modified minis can be returned to a more or less original state with a little work, so what is the problem here? Ok, so there are some who modify and don't do it properly, but that's the case for any car really.

As for saying that it's young'uns ruining the mini, have you thought about how they are keeping the mini brand alive?

I'm 22 and have a mini, it hasn't really had anything done to it since I bought it save from a stage 1 kit and hi-los but it will be getting a make over at a later date and with what I have in mind, it won't look like a mini that has just come out of the factory, most bits will not be standard, but they will not be large bodykits, a huge exhaust, totally blacked out lights or what have you, but it will not be standard. However, you will most definitely know it is a mini, most of the work will be done to overhaul the body work and engine so it's all perfect again and the rest will be to update the interior and exterior to my personal taste.

I doubt very highly that people who own minis buy them and then modify then extensively do so in order to impress their friends.

Or it could spark an interesting conversation. But this being TMF, someone will take offence at it, get the mardies, start an argument and it will get closed.

:ermm: The starter of this thread did say he was in no way out and about to offend people or cause an argument, but indeed that he just wanted a debate on why people modify minis.

#41 998dave

998dave

998cc's Of Dave Goodness

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,566 posts
  • Name: Dave

Oooh, you reminded me, I'm about to cut the roof off one of mine.

I know this may not be liked, but it's already been modified by being parked upside-down so I figure cutting the roof off and rebuilding the car will be the best thing for it - saving it from the grave!

#42 backstreetclassics

backstreetclassics

Previously known as minidan07

• Members
  • 1,898 posts
  • Local Club: essex mini club

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:12 PM

all ill say is each to there own !!!

#43 rimmer1993

rimmer1993

Not A New Toilet Cleaning Product

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Local Club: Bodgit Scarper and Co.

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:15 PM

Your intention is to insult people? Is this because they are faster than you? Their Mini's look nicer than yours? Their Mini gets more attention than yours?

We shouldn't have to explain ourselves to anybody, especially not somebody that has no interest in listening to peoples reasons. Starting a topic to simply insult people is very petty and childish.

Said :ermm:

#44 Geehawk

Geehawk

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:15 PM

Oooh, you reminded me, I'm about to cut the roof off one of mine.

I know this may not be liked, but it's already been modified by being parked upside-down so I figure cutting the roof off and rebuilding the car will be the best thing for it - saving it from the grave!

Even that can be reversed if someone really wants to. :ermm:

#45 Wallm0nkey

Wallm0nkey

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:16 PM

Well I'm 20 my Mini is on steels the engine standard I have no stereo and my interior is original the only none original additions are some grill buttons I added. It does have special arches (fitted by the last owner) but these will be going very soon.
But if it was still my daily drive I probably would of added some modifications to make it a bit easier to live with as much as I love the car it leaves a fair bit to be desired comfort wise on a long journey.

Some modifications I look at and they aren't to my taste but it's not my Mini it doesn't affect me so I don't mind others I do think look great. Each to their own. At the end of the day Minis are a hobby as much as they are a car for a lot of people so there is going to be a lot of modified ones about. I'm sure if strict laws came in governing what you can and can't do it would be terrible for the Mini a big chunk of people who own and drive them modify their cars. I could just see people losing interest?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users