70 replies to this topic

#31 minipac

minipac

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:31 PM

hi mate if worst comes to worst and you cant claim and you dont want to repair.
strip the car and put the shell back on ebay under autograss as they will cut the back out anyway and most of the floor.
with back cut out and the rear floor it would go in class 4,5,6 which it would be space framed. :ermm:
heres a pic of mine cant find one of the inside but you can tell how much is cut out for where my son is sat lol

Attached Files

#32 monkey

monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Local Club: Diss Mini Club

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:11 PM

i say keep it, chop the rear floor out, and stick a kick ass r1 engine in there! :ermm:

oh and by the way, ebay ad man reckons 4 weekends work to get it finished? being a bit hopefull aint he?!

#33 luke6040

luke6040

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Local Club: na

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:28 PM

Can you not fit a roll cage as they would with zcars, or is that over budget? Just thinking that if your not a welder will save on labour charges id imagine gonna cost fair bit in welding time..

#34 steve spedd

steve spedd

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:34 PM

Beat me too it.... i was gonna suggest a roll cage, that should give it some rigidity should it not?

#35 luke6040

luke6040

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:56 PM

Minisport seem to have some fairly well priced options. And i normally find minisport over priced so im sure you'll find cheeper (may not be as good). take a look here: http://www.minisport...Roll_Cages.html got a fair few options.

#36 daemonchild

daemonchild

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts
  • Local Club: Unknown

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:04 PM

Minisport seem to have some fairly well priced options. And i normally find minisport over priced so im sure you'll find cheeper (may not be as good). take a look here: http://www.minisport...Roll_Cages.html got a fair few options.

Would it pass an MOT though?
I thought the fuel tank needed to be separate from the passengers for road use.
(And wouldn't you want this even if it didn't??)

#37 luke6040

luke6040

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:17 PM

Well i dont kno about MOT law so i txt 118118 lol. and they tell me that it doesnt need to be seoaratebut must be securly strapped down and leak free.....Do you think they think i mean a jerry can?

#38 luke6040

luke6040

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:24 PM

Well i dont kno about MOT law so i txt 118118 lol. and they tell me that it doesnt need to be seoaratebut must be securly strapped down and leak free.....Do you think they think i mean a jerry can?

Ok i txt back to make sure, and they towd me they dont kno! lol! sorry about that. But they gave me a number to ring to find out: VOSA (MOT Enquiry Line) 08703300444 <Looks like a usfull number.

#39 kooky

kooky

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:26 PM

£200 worth of panels, £100 for a welder, some gas, some wire, a few mates and loads of beer, job done.

Its a baptism of fire, but what you got to lose !!

#40 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:07 AM

I personally would cut my losses on that...

Take all the parts, and hoof it back on ebay, as shell for Autograss or Rear engine conversion...

Replacing the panels is going to be a pain, but the alternative solution would be to spaceframe the rear end, but that requires very deep pockets.

Having had a glance over the text document, you've got no hope of appeal, as he basically says it's not appropriate for the road as it is.

#41 luke6040

luke6040

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:03 AM

I personally would cut my losses on that...

Take all the parts, and hoof it back on ebay, as shell for Autograss or Rear engine conversion...

Replacing the panels is going to be a pain, but the alternative solution would be to spaceframe the rear end, but that requires very deep pockets.

Having had a glance over the text document, you've got no hope of appeal, as he basically says it's not appropriate for the road as it is.

Never kno you may make a bit of money on the shell if you give it a tidy and keep the other bits.

#42 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 12:27 PM

If you buy a car from private seller, they have no responsibility if the car is not roadworthy; it's the buyers responsibility. Only a trader has to sell a car that is safe. S you have no chance of getting your money back.

As it happens the back seat is only structural up to the point it leaves the wheel arches. So a bar welded across betwwen the arches and then one at the top of the seat (or where it was) will put the structure back in. Then you can just use ally to seal in the boot. As long as you only planned to have front seats this will work fine.

#43 998dave

998dave

998cc's Of Dave Goodness

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,566 posts
  • Name: Dave

Posted 17 March 2009 - 12:32 PM

I'd say if all the bits he claims are included are actually there this is recoverable either repair the rear end of this car, or, (and this is what I'd do), go find a different car and move all the bits over.

Dave

#44 MiniJimNI

MiniJimNI

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 01:52 PM

cheers for allllll the advice i tried claiming paypal just said NO!! So what i will do is phone a ;ocal mini place and ask their adivce and costs although if anyone knows of a welder in fife let me know!!!!

its a challenge!!! but i'm not givign up!!!

#45 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 02:49 PM

If you buy a car from private seller, they have no responsibility if the car is not roadworthy; it's the buyers responsibility. Only a trader has to sell a car that is safe. S you have no chance of getting your money back.

This is not true. All items offered for sale either commercially or privately, new or second hand must be fit for purpose under the terms of the sale of goods act. This car has been described as structurally safe, which it is not and as such it is not fit for purpose. If it had been advertised as scrap or a breaker that would be different.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users