44 replies to this topic

#16 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 03:29 PM

My problem is that you keep saying that the setup you have does not need any extra cooling. And your reason for this is that your inlet tube is icing up. This is no proof as far as I am concerned, proper air temperature monitoring is. This will either prove or disprove your theory. And prove or disprove the figures published by Eaton.

In reality all forced induction engines will benefit from intercooling. The reason I mentioned turbo setups is to illustrate that additional air cooling would be of benefit as supercharged air tems are higher.

It is a fact that if you want maximum power then a turbo is the thing to have. The maths shows this and so do all the results I have seen. There are of course benefits to supercharging, such as more low-down power.

#17 1987_ParkLane

1987_ParkLane

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,671 posts
  • Local Club: The Mini Forum

Posted 25 April 2009 - 06:41 PM

Wow this has caused quite a stir :( .

Anyway, I know realise that the is no way of have and inter/charge cooler on this supercharger set up I have. But you can get the water jacket this that does cooler the charger itself.

#18 THE STIG

THE STIG

Da stig says, GO GO GO

• Members
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:29 AM

My problem is that you keep saying that the setup you have does not need any extra cooling. And your reason for this is that your inlet tube is icing up.

no where have i said that the set up does not need any extra cooling

if you read my posts i state that unless running high boost etc you dont need it

i have not stated that you dont need it due to inlet icing up all i have stated is that it ofsets some of the heat produced to the compressing of the inlet charge

#19 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,421 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:36 AM

It's not a real stir, all the contributors know keeping an open mind and developing your understanding is how you build more successful engines.

Isn't specific heat capacity a constant related to mass? I think that means a temperature reduction, of say 10 degrees, will dump more heat from a denser (compressed) gas. Of course the biggest bug bear is the fuel.

#20 coopertrooper2001

coopertrooper2001

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 04:28 PM

VMax Charger Cooler.

Posted Image

#21 jameswildcooper

jameswildcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 05:46 PM

VMax Charger Cooler.

Posted Image

did it make any difference on yours?

#22 1987_ParkLane

1987_ParkLane

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,671 posts
  • Local Club: The Mini Forum

Posted 08 May 2009 - 05:52 PM

did it make any difference on yours?

Same here :D .

#23 coopertrooper2001

coopertrooper2001

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:47 PM

Sorry for the delayed reply.

Honestly I am not sure what difference it made. It should reduce heat from the charger, so general engine bay temp maybe a little lower, but if you are looking to reduce coolant temp, then fit a secondary radiator IMO.

#24 Prawn

Prawn

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:43 PM

sorry for the off topic question, but in that pic, your charger on the MPI engine looks to be more towards the drivers side than the carb'd installations, which would imply that the charger is running off the standard mpi bottom pulley, also, you don't seem to have the upper tensioner wheel on the charger that the carb'd setup's run.

Do the mpi kits run a single belt around the crank/waterpump/alternator/charger?

#25 coopertrooper2001

coopertrooper2001

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:43 PM

sorry for the off topic question, but in that picture, your charger on the MPI engine looks to be more towards the drivers side than the carb'd installations, which would imply that the charger is running off the standard mpi bottom pulley, also, you don't seem to have the upper tensioner wheel on the charger that the carb'd setup's run.

Do the mpi kits run a single belt around the crank/waterpump/alternator/charger?

Only a year late, yes the MPi runs a single belt.

#26 Grahamxx

Grahamxx

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 10:47 PM

Personally I can't see that charge cooler working efficiently. Optimum ACT's (Air Charge Temperature) is 39 degrees. Don’t be fooled that the low the ACT’s the better performance is obtained...

#27 joe90

joe90

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 07:58 AM

I have kept an eye on charge cooler temps (only on the outside casting) & the temp has never gone over 55c.
Having a water cooler as vmax (plumbed of the engine im asumming). water temp at 88c dose not add up to me?
I might be getting it all wrong?
JOE

#28 ivanhoew

ivanhoew

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:26 AM

Personally I can't see that charge cooler working efficiently. Optimum ACT's (Air Charge Temperature) is 39 degrees. Don’t be fooled that the low the ACT’s the better performance is obtained...

graham ,just to be sure ,are you saying you can prove that any air temp below 39 degrees c is bad for power ?

#29 Grahamxx

Grahamxx

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:38 AM

graham ,just to be sure ,are you saying you can prove that any air temp below 39 degrees c is bad for power ?

Temps below 39 degrees will be 'ok', but to get the best power you need to stay as close to 39 degrees as possible.

#30 Grahamxx

Grahamxx

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:40 AM

I have kept an eye on charge cooler temps (only on the outside casting) & the temp has never gone over 55c.
Having a water cooler as vmax (plumbed of the engine im asumming). water temp at 88c dose not add up to me?
I might be getting it all wrong?
JOE

Is your charge cooler using its own water supply, or using the water from the engines radiator?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users