217 replies to this topic

#31 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:07 PM

If two drivers have won the same amount of races then the FIA will look at the number of points they've each got to decide who gets the title.
Everyone else will be placed based on the number of races they've won, irrespective of points accumulated.

#32 The_Mistro

The_Mistro

Farmer Barley Mow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:11 PM

think this is a little unfair on the teams lower down the grid! a driver could drive out of his skin 3 or 4 races, get on the podium, but not win, 0 wins in the season, so comes effectivly joint last, so all that effort will of been for nothing!

#33 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:15 PM

think this is a little unfair on the teams lower down the grid! a driver could drive out of his skin 3 or 4 races, get on the podium, but not win, 0 wins in the season, so comes effectivly joint last, so all that effort will of been for nothing!

Not as I understand it. Any driver that has the same amount of wins as another driver, their standing in the drivers championship will be decided on the amount of points they've accumulated.

#34 Rosslin Racing

Rosslin Racing

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,408 posts
  • Local Club: SMP beo BMC swiss

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:18 PM

and who ever wears Maxes fav suspenders and whip outfit will be in with a chance of the title as well.
I do have to ask myself what the ex Honda team had in the top draw, it seems to work. after the first three races a pattern will form, will they still be up front?

#35 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:25 PM

If these rules had applied last year, it would have mean that Hamilton would not have won, and Massa would.

Not necessarily, if these rules had been in place last year Hamilton would likely have raced for wins more, we may have had more daring overtakes and excitement, and he still may have won. The tactics for the teams would have been different, so this isn't a fair comparison.

Hamilton really isnt better than Jenson the car was Better than Jensons, which alot of us have said all along:

1. Jenson Button, Brawn BGP 001, 1:19.127
2. Felipe Massa, Ferrari F60, 1:20.168
3. Robert Kubica, BMW Sauber F1.09, 1:20.217
4. Timo Glock, Toyota TF109, 1:20.410
5. Fernando Alonso, Renault R29, 1:20.863
6. Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull RB5, 1:21.165
7. Nico Rosberg, Williams FW31, 1:21.324
8. Giancarlo Fisichella, Force India VJM02, 1:21.545
9. Sebastien Buemi, Toro Rosso STR4, 1:21.569
10. Lewis Hamilton, McLaren MP4-24, 1:21.657

Its Unlikely that Mclaren will find 1.5 seconds in 2 weeks really.

Is this because Button's better, or because he now has the better car?

Dave

Well, It was a bit different last season when Hamilton was winning and everybody was slating Jenson, when Hamilton isnt doing so good its "the car" but when Jenson does well everybody else is doing badly.? :)

Pre season testing very very rarely gives you a real indication of how competitive a team will be once the racing starts.

Yeah but the fact of the matter is, If Jenson in a car that has been chucked together by a team that was on the verge of destruction is faster than a Championship winning Mclaren then suely it shows where the true talent is. Sure KERS was introduced, but Mclaren had a solid base to build upon, where-as Honda/BrawnGP Didnt.

Not really. We have no idea what the respective setups of the cars were.

Now, but the two drivers in either the same car, or two near identical cars and then look at the times and that will show you where the talent is... Perhaps the Top Gear Suzuki Liana..... :)

Jenson hasnt been in the new car?

#36 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:28 PM

and who ever wears Maxes fav suspenders and whip outfit will be in with a chance of the title as well.
I do have to ask myself what the ex Honda team had in the top draw, it seems to work. after the first three races a pattern will form, will they still be up front?

They Were producing this years car all of last season hence why they wernt doing so well, But scince The name has changed alot of the designs have been deleted leaving them a blank canvas, but they've cleary done somthing pretty amazing other the last couple of months to acheive that.

#37 The_Mistro

The_Mistro

Farmer Barley Mow

• Members
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:29 PM

nobody believed me when i said they would be good! they had designed the chasis and areo package all of last year, they wrote off the 2008 season to concentrate on the 2009 season! all they had to do was tweak the chasis to cradle the merc engine, and to tweak the suspension so that it suited the different power and torque curves of the merc engine! they have everything they need to do this in one site, and the means to test things before they are set in stone, so the tweaks can be made to the prototype rather than the full race car!

#38 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:33 PM

nobody believed me when i said they would be good! they had designed the chasis and areo package all of last year, they wrote off the 2008 season to concentrate on the 2009 season! all they had to do was tweak the chasis to cradle the merc engine, and to tweak the suspension so that it suited the different power and torque curves of the merc engine! they have everything they need to do this in one site, and the means to test things before they are set in stone, so the tweaks can be made to the prototype rather than the full race car!

we said it from the beggining mate :) Jenson FTW

#39 The_Mistro

The_Mistro

Farmer Barley Mow

• Members
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:35 PM

doesnt matter what the set ups are! all it shows is Brawn has a better one than mclaren! :)

#40 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:36 PM

doesnt matter what the set ups are! all it shows is Brawn has a better one than mclaren! :)

:)

#41 The_Mistro

The_Mistro

Farmer Barley Mow

• Members
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:36 PM

we said it from the beggining mate :) Jenson FTW

Hell yeah! Jenson FTW

my girlfriend says she is supporting Jenson just because he has a cool name! so from me, becky and craig Jenson FTW

#42 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:41 PM

Pre season testing very very rarely gives you a real indication of how competitive a team will be once the racing starts.

Yeah but the fact of the matter is, If Jenson in a car that has been chucked together by a team that was on the verge of destruction is faster than a Championship winning Mclaren then suely it shows where the true talent is. Sure KERS was introduced, but Mclaren had a solid base to build upon, where-as Honda/BrawnGP Didnt.

Not really. We have no idea what the respective setups of the cars were.

Now, but the two drivers in either the same car, or two near identical cars and then look at the times and that will show you where the talent is... Perhaps the Top Gear Suzuki Liana..... :)

Neither has Lewis. All the F1 driver laps have been in the old Suzuki Liana, to level the playing field. If I remember correctly Lewis' lap was on a wet/greasy track too, and Jensen's lap was in the heat. Both did a 1.44.7 lap - Linky

#43 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:45 PM

Im pretty certain Lewis was in the new car.

#44 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:46 PM

RpUQY-zoFnE
(lap starts at 6.53)

Definitely the old Suzuki! :)

#45 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:51 PM

None of the F1 drivers use the Chevy, Top Gear kept the Liana for all the F1 drivers to use. All the F1 drivers have done their lap in the same car, on the same track and I seem to remember in similar conditions <apparently not!>. I really don't know what races you have been watching to say that Lewis is inconsistent but then it's quite obvious that you aren't really capable of making an unbiased assessment. Yes there have been races where Lewis got a bit out of control but he is young and even when he is driving in a rough and ready manner he is still twice the driver someone like Webber is. Normally though Lewis drives exactly the same line, every lap and will put on exactly the same time to within a .001 for 5 or 10 laps at a time before he starts trying to push and find a few thou somewhere. Everyone knows that Button's car let him down for the last two years but that is a seperate matter from how good a driver he is. Specifically because his car was terrible you can't really tell how good he is currently. I do honestly think he let his fitness and commitment slide towards the end of '07 and through the beginning of '08 but he was definitely on the up again towards the end of last season and hopefully he will put on a good show this year. We all want to see good drivers out there. The ability of a driver does go up and down during their career and with any luck Button will be lucky enough to be on the up at the same time as his car. I'll be watching Vettel closely this year and I expect good things.

These ridiculous FIA group testing sessions show nothing. All the large teams with their own in house facilities for detailed testing do the majority of their testing inside their own factories. They have rigs that can test endurance, speed, aero effects, suspension performance, handling and just about everything else without ever going outside. They know exactly how it will affect the car to de-tune by 5% to 10% for the group testing. Ever since they created these all in one testing days the results have been very dubious, it's only done to save money for the lower ranked teams by sharing the costs of the session (how much do you think you have to pay Bridgestone to come along to a test session with you for example?)

It's not Ecclestone that messes with F1, all he does is sell TV rights and manage the media really. The real offender is Moseley. He wants the series to be exactly the same as it was in the '60s when he failed as a driver and he can't cope with the speed today and doesn't like the technical nature of the cars. It's supposed to be the best car you can build to get around a specific type of track. The real problem is the tracks haven't been modernised enough to cope with the higher speeds and wider, lower cars.

Edited by Dan, 18 March 2009 - 12:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users