Ouster

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,986 posts
  • Local Club: Looking

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:51 PM

He's still a nonce! :)

The rule change is ridiculous, none of the fans want it.

It doesn't even make mathematical sense with the whole, "oh its normal after 2nd place"

Take this scenario

1st Place - Yamamoto (5 wins 110 points)
2nd Place - Gugelmin (4 wins 128 points)
3rd Place - Danner (5 wins 109 points)

How does that make sense?
So Yamamoto is better then gugelmin who is better then danner. Yet yamamoto won the championship because he had more wins than gugelmin despite less points. However Danner had more wins and less points then gugelmin as well, however gugelmin beat him? :)

#47 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:58 PM

Nothing wrong with Yamamoto :)

Watch Laps that aernt telivised or watch some Live telemtry when the race is on, and you will see just how In-consistant Lewis is Dan, they televise his good stuff during qualiyfying but the itv team were so up his A*se.

#48 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 01:01 PM

I've been watching it with live telemetry since they introduced it to the website a few years ago, that is when I'm not watching it at the cinema because the ITV coverage was so awful, Odean's pure FIA feed is far better. Sorry but I just don't agree that Lewis is an inconsistant driver.

#49 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 01:01 PM

This ruling was proposed by Ecclestone (according to the last news report I read), and put in place by the FIA/Moseley, with the agreement of the drivers union people thingy. I'm wondering what has changed in the past 6 months, because when Ecclestone first proposed the idea back in November most teams/drivers didn't want it and it was just a few drivers that thought Massa should have won the championship last season that did.

#50 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 01:07 PM

Ferrari wanted it. Unfortunately (without wanting to sound like I'm set aginst Ferrari which I'm really not) every major rule change in F1 in the years since Moseley came to power, excluding those about driver safety has been put in place to prevent a situation that stopped Ferrari winning the previous season. Unfortunately when Glock's tyres failed on the fateful last lap, while it was good for Lewis it meant a rule change was definitely ahead.

Edited by Dan, 18 March 2009 - 01:09 PM.

#51 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 07:06 PM

http://uk.eurosport....nts-system.html

"If, for any reason, the Formula One teams do not now agree with the new system, its implementation will be deferred until 2010," FIA said in a statement.

Discuss...

#52 davej

davej

Kelly Jones

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 07:11 PM

It has been deferred until 2010

BBC Sport

#53 Professor Peach

Professor Peach

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:02 PM

F1 are making too many changes too quickly. They are trying to get more viewers watching because to the non fan F1 is boring because nothing happens for the majority of the race, hence 40 minute highlights in the evening. I'm a huge fan of formula 1 and look forward every winter to the release of the new cars in January. It's not just the racing for me but the whole design, driver line-up, winter tests, and engine development. But to bring in more fans you're going to have to aim for their needs.
If Bernie was a boxing promoter he would propose giving the fighters weapons depending on how they did in a previous round. Sounds good but then it's not boxing.
Prof

#54 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:17 PM

Personally I don't think its got that boring. I think it was more boring about 3-4 years ago, but the last couple of seasons have actually been pretty interesting. I think its the viewers expectations that expect action on every single lap, and it just doesn't happen like that.

You're never going to get daring overtaking manoeuvres whilst everyone is sitting in in £10 million pound cars knowing that one false move could seriously damage their title hopes or land them with penalties. I say release the drivers from all the rules and regulations, make the cars unreliable again and you'll get some brilliant driving back!

#55 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:50 PM

Surely If you think about the engineering side and Machinery that goesd into making the cars it makes it "unboring"

In my eyes F1 isnt boring, wasnt boring and no matter whats happens never will be.

#56 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 12:24 AM

Discuss...

It's always been the case that rule changes within 28 days of the start of a season or during the season could only take place if there was a consensus among the teams. It has to be unanimous. In this case it's clear that Moseley has tried to force this rule through at the last minute and the teams didn't stand for it. Until a couple of years ago they always just rolled over and took whatever was thrown at them but in the last couple of seasons they've decided they don't want this poisonous politician with almost no interest in racing dictating to them every detail of how he wants the system changed. They've started to fight back and I imagine there has been another meeting where half the teams said 'Fine, in that case this will be our last season in Formula 1 and we'll go and start a real race series of our own' just like last time.

#57 feybrand

feybrand

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 08:39 AM

personally i think its time the teams did break away and make their own series it isnt a fair championship anymore theres too much backing for massa and raikonnen for example in the spygate row mclaren had a huge fine and lost all their points a few months later it comes to light that ferarri were just as guilty and they got nothing
and then there was all this pit lane nonsense mclaren had a genuine mistake in the pit lane and lost a race they were winning comfortably punishment enough you would thing but no they were then penalised at the next race as well. then ferarri had all sorts of pit dilemas all season being dangerously released into oncoming traffic and driving of with the fuel hose witch was all as a result of one of there systems not from a genuine 1 off error and all they got was a tiny fine and nothing else so clearly the systems unfair
i know ferarri are a great old name but if they only want to race when the rules swing their way then theres no place for them in racing anymore and the other teams should set up a fair series with equal rules and with no moseley or ecclestone dictating everything

#58 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 07:28 PM

personally i think its time the teams did break away and make their own series it isnt a fair championship anymore theres too much backing for massa and raikonnen for example in the spygate row mclaren had a huge fine and lost all their points a few months later it comes to light that ferarri were just as guilty and they got nothing
and then there was all this pit lane nonsense mclaren had a genuine mistake in the pit lane and lost a race they were winning comfortably punishment enough you would thing but no they were then penalised at the next race as well. then ferarri had all sorts of pit dilemas all season being dangerously released into oncoming traffic and driving of with the fuel hose witch was all as a result of one of there systems not from a genuine 1 off error and all they got was a tiny fine and nothing else so clearly the systems unfair
i know ferarri are a great old name but if they only want to race when the rules swing their way then theres no place for them in racing anymore and the other teams should set up a fair series with equal rules and with no moseley or ecclestone dictating everything

Sorry, i wasnt aware this was a ferrari bashing topic? Its about the supposed rule change in the drivers championship. How does what you have posted have anything to do with the drivers championship rule change?

#59 feybrand

feybrand

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:20 AM

Sorry, i wasnt aware this was a ferrari bashing topic? Its about the supposed rule change in the drivers championship. How does what you have posted have anything to do with the drivers championship rule change?

because the rule change is done to favour ferrari because last year if this rule was in effect massa would have won and it was ferrari moaning about that fact that bought about the rule change

#60 davegreory42

davegreory42

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:09 PM

personally i dont think F1 has got boring enough to warrant another rule change. the last 3 years have been fantastic.

2006 - alonso held off a late charge from schumi and it was only reliability that cost a proper title decider in brazil

2007 - goin into the last race any one of three drivers could have won, raikkonnen was incredible in the final few races, and only one point separated the top 3 in the final standings.

2008 - i defy anyone to think of a more exciting finale to a season, i've been watching F1 since about 1994 and personally i cant think of better end. not even just Brazil but pretty much all the races from spa onwards were exciting.

i think there may be some truth in the fact the winner isn't rewarded enough but a much better option would just be to award 12pts to the winner and keep the rest the same. i'm glad that for this year at least the rules are the same but this time next year i imagine the same discussions will be taking place, from the past it seems that once ecclestone/moseley get an idea in the head, it generally goes through. it seems slightly better now that with the formation of FOTA the teams are at least presenting a united front and are prepared to challenge the FIA.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users