116 replies to this topic

#61 irishdude

irishdude

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:43 PM

So its been a while since my last post.. but good news. the first shipment of kits has arrived here in california. I have been working all week getting an inventory ready and assembling the first kit.

So here are the pics :P

The first opening of the crate to see the goodies inside -

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Followed by the big unveiling, shiney shiney shiney. the red and blue powder coating just glisened in the sun

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Getting all the support bars out. Chris and his guys did a great job in packaging all the components

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

BIG Brakes FTW

Posted Image

So I was up till all hours last night assembling one of the kits outside the chassis

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Blue just looks amazing and hte red is just beautiful. So now the fun starts on my build. but anybody reading this Stateside contact me on the kits for sale. they are ready to go and ready for you :crazy:)

I will have more updates over the weekend. Plan on placing the chassis inside the frame and soft fit it mark up all the holes etc.. and position the seat. Then strip it all down again for the body to get painted.

Oh and the engine is ready to go too :w00t:) once in the wire tuck begins

Posted Image

Edited by irishdude, 14 August 2009 - 08:45 PM.

#62 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 15 August 2009 - 04:09 PM

Posted Image

I spy a raised tunnel in the shell in the background - cheeky....

Its the way forward, I am so glad I got mine with a raised tunnel, allows many more options for wiring and switches.

#63 irishdude

irishdude

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:03 PM

Posted Image

I spy a raised tunnel in the shell in the background - cheeky....

Its the way forward, I am so glad I got mine with a raised tunnel, allows many more options for wiring and switches.

You got great eyes :D Yeah the tunnel is a great addition to the kits will help with all sorts of things and it just looks great in the car. Really finishes off the interior

#64 z cars chris

z cars chris

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:02 PM

good to see you finally got the kit i was getting worried with the delays in customs
looks like it travelled well and got there in one piece
chris

#65 irishdude

irishdude

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 04:33 PM

its been ages since I have updated the build. So here goes.

Got the kit installed in the car. So have been getting everything fitted before I send the body out for paint. Plenty of trimming and cutting :genius:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

GOing to have to figure out how to cover the Extender shifter hole. The shifter tower is designed for the flat top tunnel in the later mini's. Funny problem we have over here in the states is the earlier Mini's are more dominentthan the UK LOL Not to worry though.

Posted Image

Kit fitted

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Was working on the seat bracket next:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Front subframe fitted:

Posted Image
Posted Image

On another note had an week, ended up picking up 2 more Mini bodies down in LA. Will have these available for some of the US customers if they are looking for some bodies for their conversions :lol: The 2 Mini's look so funny on the trailer they looked like dinky cars next to the truck...

Posted Image
Posted Image

Oh and I love LA, on the way down we spotted an R8, Aston Martin Vantage and a Beautiful Grey Ferrari 612 Scaglietti. No pics of the Ferrari but it was getting pulled over by the cops. My copilot's photo skills need improvement :P

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#66 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 02 October 2009 - 06:58 AM

Posted Image

Brian

I dont think that trailers long enough.............. :proud:

#67 irishdude

irishdude

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 04:49 PM

Brian

I dont think that trailers long enough.............. :proud:

Yeah was pretty funny seeing the trailer on the highway with those two little cars.. We could have fit another 2 on there I found it terribly humorous

#68 2lrminivan

2lrminivan

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 08:51 AM

that trailer is huge just think how many minis you could fit if they went side ways on :(

#69 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 03:32 PM

That is one amazing trailer! I am sure it wouldnt work to well on UK straights though!

#70 irishdude

irishdude

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:31 AM

well its been awhile to say the least since my last entry.

Chris was out here for the past week helping with the Build over here in California. I am working on getting all the updates, photos and vids of my camera. I will write up all the work we got done. Lets just say we got everything fitted, engine running and all the electrics done.

here's some teasers until I get time to write up the rest :D)

Wduh7mfMB14
C9YiLEP6V7I

#71 Joe250

Joe250

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 02:01 PM

Nice work, Brian. That Chris is a crazy character.

#72 irishdude

irishdude

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:06 AM

So been downloading pictures from the last week. so here goes:

it was great to have Chris over and work on the Car and getting all the final touches on it before we get it out on the road.

First thing first was to get the Engine into the Frame. This was a relatively easy process we just lifted the Frame up and over the engine and hey presto the engine is Kinda in the right place -

Posted Image

Then a little bit a jiggling we raised up the engine and bolted it in place. i got some nice Billet Aluminum Mounts for the rear -

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yes I know the side mount is not fully bolted in place ;o)

With the engine mounted into the frame we started to work on shifter assembly. we had to grind off the small stock tab and then drill a small hole in the assembly to accept the Shifter cable. Not a problem out with the trusty drill -

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Next task then was to start working on the wiring -

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The wiring was surprisingly one of the easiest part of the build. We used a Custom ZCars Engine loom. We modified my stock charging harness which was pretty easy too.

With most of the engine wiring completed we moved on to the Plumbing part of the engine. We wanted to hook up an outlet/inlet for the Header tank to the engine block, so we just used the stock Water pipe, added a AN fitting and we were sorted

Posted Image

We were trying to figure out the location of the Header tank so we used some trusty Tape

Posted Image
Posted Image

With most of the work down outside the body we were set to put it into the shell

Posted Image
Posted Image

we had to install the Front Subframe first in order to make putting the rear in a lot easier; We hooked up the plumbing for the front end also,

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#73 irishdude

irishdude

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:08 AM

So onto the installation of the rear frame:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Chris Lining up the body while I ran to take a picture :thumbsup:)

Posted Image

Then Happy camper once its installed

Posted Image

With the Rear in and the front Subframe in place we started on bolting the remainer of the frame in place -

Posted Image

So as you can see there are few holes in the Shell from where the Shifter from teh original Mini came through the body. looks like there was both holes for the Wand and remote Shifters. This called for us to pull out the Welder - and do some magic around the car to clean it up -

Posted Image
Posted Image

Think it turned out pretty slick!

Next on the list was to secure the front subframe. We decided to cut a small flap in the floor which allowed for teh front subframe to get into position.

Posted Image
Posted Image

When all else fails ;O)

Posted Image

The front Subframe fitted real smoothly after that -

Posted Image
Posted Image

For the Accelerator Cable we decided to feed it through the cabin and just drilled a hole through the cross beam so we can fit the cable away from any obstructions -

Posted Image

Shifter Tunnel Welded in place -

Posted Image

Everything was running along nicely until we had a nosey quest -

Posted Image

So Chris cornered him in the corner and caught him with ease ;o)

Posted Image
Posted Image

The only remainder of the interior left to do was to fit the seats. We made a cross Bar between the Door sill and the Shifter Tunnel. And we welded in some support plates onto the cross member.

#74 irishdude

irishdude

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:10 AM

Prepping the crossmember - Check out our clever use of Bricks LOL

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Seats Fitted in nicely

Posted Image
Posted Image

we also welded in some bungs for the Harnesses

Posted Image

Posted Image

So with all the hardware installed we moved onto the Wiring cause we wanted to get the engine up and running -

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

note the clever use of Carboard :thumbsup: We are going for real light weight materials. I am going to put in a Bulkhead metal from half way up and then plexiglass from the half up to the roof.

Now the electrics are installed the only thing left was some Petrol or as we say over here "gas" -

Posted Image

The engine started up first time only for it to turn off after 3 secs. So we turned it over again and the same thing happened again. we scratched our heads for a bit then released we had plugged the cam sensors wrong. Switched the cables and bang she started straight up and ran brilliantly. Sounded great. We worked on the idle of the engine for a bit to get it to around 800rpm and she purred nicely.

So we had the majority of the work completed now. The only thing left was to fit the Fibreglass front end. a little bit of work to get it to fit but looked great. We welded in some tabs on either side of the firewall and on the sides of the arches to bolt up the Front to -

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

we moved the car outside to fit the front end

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by irishdude, 09 February 2010 - 08:15 AM.

#75 irishdude

irishdude

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:11 AM

With the front fitted we needed to do the final trimming of the arches for the wheels

Posted Image
Posted Image

Look a FLOATING MINI AAAAhhhhhhhh

Posted Image

So with the engine installed and running, the body is all cut and prepped for seats and a harness, the shifter tunnell is in place and the whole ZCars frame installed we did a 4-Wheel alignment and we're all set. unfortunately we didn't get to drive the car around the block we were waiting on the drive shafts but not to worry.

So Chris headed off back to England and I have stripped the entire car back down to the shell. Paint shop is booked for this weekend so stay tuned for the next set of pictures. Next time we see the shell it will be painted the good olde fashioned Mini Red. Can't wait!

Great thing is the plan is to get this car out on the tracks around california and beyond. Anyone interested in booking a Demo drive give me a call or email.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users