#76 markrally

markrally

Z Cars

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  • Local Club: Miniaddicts.co.uk

Posted 21 September 2005 - 12:04 PM

and the gorgeous throttle bodies......... :)

Attached Files

#77 neil_g

neil_g

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 12:08 PM

Those 1 kgs Wilwood 4 pots are only £80 each.....Just have to make up some brackets, but must be worth the effort

F1 - which calipers are they? do they have a part number?

#78 neil_g

neil_g

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 12:14 PM

oh and for getting the sound deadening up i used a scraper and hammer. the remainder comes off with a bit of white spirit :)

#79 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 12:56 PM

Bike engines are alot bigger than you imagine when you look at a bike!

#80 markrally

markrally

Z Cars

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 01:05 PM

Bike engines are alot bigger than you imagine when you look at a bike!

Half the weight but twice the power.............

Mark :wales:

#81 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 01:16 PM

How they acheive that? Are they alloy? Is it because they have loadsa revs?

#82 supermotolee

supermotolee

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 04:46 PM

yes they are all cast ally and most modern 1000cc engines rev and make power in excess of 10,000 rpm dont produce the torque that car motors do as they dont tend to be long stroke...
i always wondered how well the clutches last in the bike engined cars as you'l need to slip the clutch a fair bet to get fast starts?

#83 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 21 September 2005 - 05:00 PM

I'd think that'd be down to gearing the car correctly though. with them revving so high I'd guess you could have it fairly low geared to compensate???

#84 markrally

markrally

Z Cars

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 06:47 PM

yes they are all cast ally and most modern 1000cc engines rev and make power in excess of 10,000 rpm dont produce the torque that car motors do as they dont tend to be long stroke...
i always wondered how well the clutches last in the bike engined cars as you'l need to slip the clutch a fair bet to get fast starts?

I think you need to expierience a bike powered car for yourself as the full heavyweight test car at Z-CARS pulls from 30mph in 6th ger all the way to 130mph without changing down......
There aint many modern cars that will pull out of 30mph in top gear. :)

Bear in mind that the engine was geared for 200mph in the bike and has been altered to acheive an approx top speed of 130mph so it has gained a lot of torque that way but having power available from 3000rpm does help. :smartass:

#85 supermotolee

supermotolee

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 10:35 PM

i'd love to have a go in it i'm an apprentice bike technition so i've ridden a few quick bikes :wink: and i'm not doing my mini up for speed as there are not many road cars that can mach bikes for out and out speed but minis just seem to be a fun little car and i want something as involving as a bike to ride/drive and i'm fed up of getting wet and cold in the winter haha

one day i'd love to be able to build a road based bike engined mini i spoke to the geezer from z cars at mitp and looked at his creations and frankly i was just in heaven both my passions rolled into one

do people put in the datatool gear indicators and rev lights to brighten up their dashes both are designed for bikes but would look cool on a dash

also anyone looked into an air shift kit like drag bikes use? can be used manually or plugged into a button on the wheel normally horn on bike ... quick quick upshifts :grin:

#86 pauldixonuk

pauldixonuk

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 08:15 PM

What made you decide to go for bike power over the other options, particuarly the honda route?

There's the added option of putting either engine in the front or rear too. I'd appreciate some of your views on this.

#87 markrally

markrally

Z Cars

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 08:35 PM

What made you decide to go for bike power over the other options, particuarly the honda route?

There's the added option of putting either engine in the front or rear too. I'd appreciate some of your views on this.

Honda power in the back- to me it seems too out of balance as it is a fair lump and would upset the balance of the car. but probably fast in a straight line.

Bike power in the front- too complicated and i love rear wheel drive!!!!!

So when you put the z-cars conversion in it is a true mid-engine conversion and the weight distribution is 47/53 front to rear distribution as quoted by one of the guys on here when he had it corner weighted. so it will handle well and go like s**t

#88 pauldixonuk

pauldixonuk

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 09:33 PM

I asked z-cars about their mid engine honda conversion. I like the idea of it's reliability, proper reverse gear and tons of torque. However I do fear for the weight balance! I had a big moment in my elise, so it's a slight concern to me. I guess I'll have to accept their offer of a test drive and see.

#89 markrally

markrally

Z Cars

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 07:36 PM

I asked z-cars about their mid engine honda conversion. I like the idea of it's reliability, proper reverse gear and tons of torque. However I do fear for the weight balance! I had a big moment in my elise, so it's a slight concern to me. I guess I'll have to accept their offer of a test drive and see.

Ive been u at z-cars to day and had a look at the Type-R engined mini, it's nearly finished now, just a few bit's of trim and the bulkhead to finish.
I think i will be a lot more civilised to use as a road car but i dont think the handling will be as good as the bike engine due to the posistion of weight etc.

Anyway a quick update on the project......
Dropped the engine off to be fitted in the spaceframe assembly and took the front subframe to be powder coated to match the rest of the kit.
Purchased some seats and dashboard assembly aswell and opted for the plumbing kit as i couldnt do it much cheaper and have it looking nice at the same time.
also took some of the kit parts home aswell to save them rolling round in the van when i collect it (hopefully 2 weeks today :angry: )
I best get cracking with the plasma cutter and grinder, sound deadening stuff now removed eventually :) :o , i have decided to leave the underseal on underneath the car to give it a bit of protection as i intend to use it on the road.

Im still undecided on a colour as i want it too be original and different but look cool a the same time ( i have never paid so much attention to other cars looking for inspiration :D )

Cheers mark

also had a chat with chris on the turbo route in case it aint fast enough :blink: :angry:

#90 Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 10:15 AM

Mark, did you go out for a test drive while you were up at Z-cars? If so, what did you reckon?

Cheers
D.D.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users