#1 northy

northy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Local Club: LCMOC

Posted 17 June 2009 - 12:22 AM

Hey there, I'm Joe, I have worked on a couple of my brother's minis before, and he has worked on a lot, I also have built 6 motorbike/moped engines, so i know q bit about engines and the like.

The one thing neither of us have any experience of is ignition and fuel mix mapping, we have both always preferred to use carbs.

How complex would it be to convert a 1985 Mini Mayfair 998cc carb to a SPi system, with a megasquirt, Emerald or similar mapping system? Has anyone worked with both Emerald and megasquirt, or have any recommendations for an easy-to-us Mappable ECU?
Obviously i will need a new intake manifold, and fuel injectors, what other parts does the SPi system have that won't be covered by the ECU?

Incase you were wondering, I'm looking into it because A) I like to fiddle B) I want to be able to change between optimum timing and mix for economy and power and to keep it as efficient as possible. I also read that it can also increase power by virtue of it allowing me to manage even very 'racy' cams.

So yeah, any ideas, experience, tips or answers would be awesome.

cheers.

#2 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 17 June 2009 - 12:12 PM

I recommend a base specification VEMS ECU and the use of a readily available SPi manifold. You will need to sort the fuel tank out, easy option to fit an SPi tank and run a return line from the front of the car to the tank.

The only reason I recomend the VEMS ECU is that it comes with a built in wide Band O2 controller, which makes tuning and setting up that much easier. While the other ECUs have an input for such wide band controllers, it will cost anywhere between £150 and £230 extra over and above the ECU. Megasquirt and Emerald will control the engine, Megasquirt has a stepper motor option, but im not so sure the Emerald does.

With any programable ECU you will be able to run racey cams, its just down to how you set up the way the ECU determines load. Direct drive coil pack is aslo worth while, doing away with the distributor.

The main point that will determine which way you go is the cost. It all depends what you want to do for the amount of money you want to spend. Megasquirt plus the apropriate options and a wideband controller, will work, but its itty bitty. The VEMS is one unit wire it up configure it and tune it.

#3 northy

northy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 09:51 PM

Surely i need more than the VEMS unit and an SPi manifold? :)
I'm looking for a full list of what i'm going to need, and possibly info as to where i cn get them from.
There's a 1.3i ignition system on ebay i had my eey on, could i just pop that on, and replace the rover ECU with the VEMS/Emerald eCu and attach the coil pack?
I can't find anywhere online to get the VEMS ECU from, even online their webshop doesnt have just the ECU, or the ECu in any packs, just seems to be spares/accesories...

#4 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 11:07 PM

Surely i need more than the VEMS unit and an SPi manifold? :)
I'm looking for a full list of what i'm going to need, and possibly info as to where i cn get them from.
There's a 1.3i ignition system on ebay i had my eey on, could i just pop that on, and replace the rover ECU with the VEMS/Emerald eCu and attach the coil pack?
I can't find anywhere online to get the VEMS ECU from, even online their webshop doesnt have just the ECU, or the ECu in any packs, just seems to be spares/accesories...

Im not quite sure you fully understand.

The ECU on the SPi controls both the ignition and fueling, there is no seperate ignition controller. The ignition on the SPi is a coil, distributor and plug leads. The spark is controlled by the ECU.

To run SPi on any A series engine, you need the complete inlet manifold, an exhaust manifold with a lambda sensor boss, An ECU (VEMS) Wide band lambda sensor, A coil pack from an MPi mini (Vauxhall part too) Plug leads, an SPi fuel tank, fuel lines, and some wiring (an SPi engine loom could easily be adapted)

Using the standard ECU for either fueling or ignition would be easily possible, but be far from idea for the engine, besides that, what is the point when a programable ecu will do it all and you could tune the engine apropriately.

Have a look over on this forum, and ask as many questions as you wish, the forum is purely for any fuel injected Mini or A series engine http://www.efiminis.olicentral.com

I used the VEMS ECU on the 1400SPi with the factory injection manifold, used the MPi coil pack and removed the distributor. I currently use the VEMS ECU on the 16 valver

VEMS ECU's available ready built from the web shop, but you have to look for it, or they are available from one of the UK resellers http://www.doyouneedabrain.co.uk You just need to select the options you need, which is pretty much the minimum but with the option of the stepper motor chip. You need at least 1 injector driver and two ignition drivers. You will not find a better unit for the price, remembering that it has built in Wide BAnd Lambda.

#5 northy

northy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 11:36 PM

I said 1.3i ignition system and i meant fuel injection system, my bad...
I was so confused untill i figured that out..

Right, time to do some digging...

Do you happen to know any sort of part number for the vauxhall or rover coil packs, could be a great help.

If i take the Fuel system from a 1.3i and the ignition system from an MPi (which i take is distributor-less, hence the coil pack?) and basically whack the both into the VEMS, will that be it sorted. obviously i've missed a few steps, but the idea?

#6 KLAS

KLAS

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 05:03 PM

you could also fit the full SPi system, just like factory, and plug in an ums ecu in place of the factory box and map it to your engine.

#7 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 05:44 PM

you could also fit the full SPi system, just like factory, and plug in an ums ecu in place of the factory box and map it to your engine.

Very good point :lol: Why I forgot this I cannot say, as this would be much much easier than the VEMS. :thumbsup:

#8 northy

northy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 11:53 AM

IS ums injection only, or ignition and injection?
If it's injection only, i could run it with Megajolt lite junior, but then i would have to switch the maps individually...
I'l do some digging into ums, what makes it so easy?

EDIT
I looked it up, that looks incredibly easy, now i just have to figure out how to swap from a carb system to an injection one, and i'm away!

I heard i need a new flywheel or something? I need someone wo know what they''re talking about to tell me *cough*sprocket*cough*

Edited by northy, 20 June 2009 - 12:33 PM.

#9 KLAS

KLAS

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 12:42 PM

using the ums you will need the SPi flywheel, or you could use a similar trigger disc fitted to the crank pulley.

#10 northy

northy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 12:57 PM

Would i just need the flywheel itself, i read someone saying you need a new flywheel casing as well.
Can you get lightened SPi flywheels?

#11 northy

northy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 03:06 PM

Would i just need the flywheel itself, i read someone saying you need a new flywheel casing as well.

I just realised more people convert from injection to sarb than vice-versa, so i could swap with someone who wnts to switch their 1.3i to carb right?

Does anyone know anyone wanting to do that?

#12 KLAS

KLAS

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 03:56 PM

you need a hole to put the sensor through in the flywheel casing. best to use the case with this hole, but i heard that some drill the case themselve.
but i think using a triggerwheel at the crank pulley is much easier as you can keep all your parts.

and, yes, there are lightend SPi flywheels

#13 northy

northy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 04:00 PM

I take it form your avatar that you have actually done this mod, how much did it cost total, and how tricky was it?

#14 KLAS

KLAS

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 06:36 PM

yes, i did it.
i'm using everything SPi exept the clutch and i'm using a dizzyless ignition controlled by a MegaSquirt, a bit funny beeing one of the builders of the ums but i wanted the dizzyless ignition.
fitted a triggerwheel to the back of the crank pulley and made my own wiring loom so i could get away with the quite ugly relay box.
for me it was easy, but i'm used to do such mods.
and i don't have a clue about the cost as i didn't had to buy a single part, everything was already there

#15 northy

northy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 08:16 PM

when you say 'everything Spi apart from the clutch', wjat exactly do you mean?
could you go through what you changed, it would help me a lot :dontgetit:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users