18 replies to this topic

#16 KLAS

KLAS

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 08:48 AM

i fitted a SPi tank, full intake system, and exhaust manifold.
made my own fuel lines and wiring loom, but it can be easier to use the SPi factory parts.
you need a suitable fuel filter, with the factory fuel lines the factory filter may be the best choice. i use a differend one, cheaper and easier to fit to my fuel lines.
and i'm using a trigger wheel fitted to the crank pulley as i wanted ignition without a dizzy, using Ford EDIS parts like MegaJoltLiteJunior, and didn't have to replace my clutch.

#17 northy

northy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Local Club: LCMOC

Posted 21 June 2009 - 11:37 AM

So UMS doesnt control ignition, only injection?
Also would i be correct in thinking i don't need a triggerwheel if i'm using UMS, and using the dizzy?

IF so, i might just go for mappable injection with UMS, then when i have more time and money, go for the mappable ignition too, and swap UMS for megasquirt/emerald/VEMS.
I'm going to check minispares for hi-flow inlet and exhaust manifolds for SPi, and probably hit the scarpyards to the SPi tank.

UMS uses megasquirt software doesnt it? If it does, after i've done all this, could i have a copy of your map, KLAS?

#18 KLAS

KLAS

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 11:51 AM

the ums does control ignition, in the same way the factory box does. so you need the same distributor the SPi engine uses. but i wanted to get away from a dizzy.

you allways need a trigger wheel with the ums. otherwise it would have no idea the engine is turning at all.

yes, ums uses MegaSquirt software and i could give you my map, but its a 998ccm with MD266 cam and 12G295 head with 33/29 valves and high CR. don't know if that match your engine

#19 northy

northy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Local Club: LCMOC

Posted 21 June 2009 - 11:58 AM

Thanks for you help, but having looked at the rediculous amount of parts i would have to buy, and how expensive they are, i'm probably just gonna put a MJLJ system in for now, maybe i'll come back to an injection idea later, but for now i'll stick to my trusty SU and get looking for a ford EDIS system, you reckon my brother will notice if i take one out of his Ford Puma, he hardly uses it... :D

It's going to be one busy rolling road day when i do get it set up, the guy that installed the stage1 before me hasnt had it tuned...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users