#61 1987_ParkLane

1987_ParkLane

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,671 posts
  • Local Club: The Mini Forum

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:46 PM

regarding engine changes, how is an mot tester going to tell the difference between a 998 and 1275?

Correct, its easy to take off the engine number, etc.

Also, would this apply for non factory items? E.g. if a car had some alloys as standard, could you get some new ones, the same size, etc and replace them, or that also come under all of the cr*p?

#62 Joloke08

Joloke08

Not banned but still weird

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

regarding engine changes, how is an mot tester going to tell the difference between a 998 and 1275?

Engine Serial number possibly >_<

#63 Burnard

Burnard

4 gears good........... .......................5 gears Better

• Banned
  • 3,350 posts

From what i have read, this wont actually stop anyone modifying there cars, it just means if you do, then it must be tested to a higher standerd than tha MOT, which frankly, is a good idea, it means that all these modified cars on the roads are genuinly safe, rather than just being thrown together saying 'that'll do' which is really enough to pass an MOT.

Yes its a ridiculous rule, BUT it will make the roads safer for everyone.

People who build modified cars tend to do it to a high standerd and they wont have to worry, they will just need to pay the cost of the IVA, which is no biggy, if you got enough dosh to spend £5000 on modifying a car, then uve got enough to pay for the IVA to get it on the road legally.

#64 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:47 PM

Well heres all VOSA's 2009 press realeses: Link Nothing is mentioned in there. Just had a look through the 2008 news too (Link) and there nothing of the sort in there either.

Theres also nothing on the latest news section either...

#65 HARBER07

HARBER07

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,498 posts
  • Local Club: Naaa......

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:47 PM

But isnt the whole issue that a mini can't pass an IVA?

#66 1275 SPRITE

1275 SPRITE

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • Local Club: Wreake Mini Wanderers

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:49 PM

So your saying every modded car that comes in is going to have all the engine codes checked to the original? God, I can see these MOT tests taking hours, which will not happen.

Why is an MOT test not to a high standard?

#67 HARBER07

HARBER07

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,498 posts
  • Local Club: Naaa......

This thing went so quick, but did anyone see: THIS

#68 Burnard

Burnard

4 gears good........... .......................5 gears Better

• Banned
  • 3,350 posts

Why cant it pass an IVA?

#69 garrett3

garrett3

One Carb Or Two?

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:52 PM

Last word on this.

Youve pulled me to bits yet still talk of sva's etc

There is no longer any such thing as an sva as from april 09.

Please dont take anything I have said as true.. please contact dvla.

My points are this.. if youve modded a car to an extent where an sva was needed then you will now need a very expensive IVA the mini cant pass (without extensive EU directive mods and conformity paperwork). although there is a B IVA for cars built by the owner as an amature build that still has to conform to 2009 EU standards but there is less proof of conformity needed.

Soon you will be targeted by the dvla for modding your cars at MOT time. Again I hope you enjoy your laughs at me right now.....

I just tried to share some info from a VERY good source and got shot down and ridiculed for my efforts.

I love the 'club' spriit you guys have offered me and the lack of respect you have shown
(not all but many). This effects me RIGHT NOW and this may see an end to my cars turning up at shows.
You may not care but I thought I was bringing some fresh ideas and energy to these events for your guys?

I was just trying to help.

I refuse to jump through hoops or play dead like a dog for those who have mocked me, its now on your on shoulders to figure this out.

Thanks and good luck.

Edited by garrett3, 20 July 2009 - 06:32 PM.

#70 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:53 PM

People who build modified cars tend to do it to a high standerd and they wont have to worry, they will just need to pay the cost of the IVA, which is no biggy, if you got enough dosh to spend £5000 on modifying a car, then uve got enough to pay for the IVA to get it on the road legally.

A standard MOT costs about £45. The cost of an IVA is huge, probably more than your average persons insurance premimum!

Why should people with modified cars be effectively fined with this huge extra cost?

Also is this something which needs to take place annually? Because the MOT tester will be ticking this box every time you cars tested?

The main point being made here, is that a modern IVA, tests many things, and extra safety features which your average modified mini (or any other classic) will not be able to pass. So really it is a 'biggy'

#71 Custom_Minis

Custom_Minis

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 10:00 PM

I've no inside information on the topic just what I've sourced from the net but I think people need to be realistic;

We've known for a quite a while about the new IVA - you need to look at the bigger picture. The SVA was more relaxed so rather than tighten the belt they scrapped it. Its far easier to bring in new regulations than try and reconfigure the old ones - whats more they can charge more for it!

Ask yourself: how long was the IVA/SVA test/changes/regs discussed?

These things take a long time to be debated, they don't get introduced overnight. I dare say all the governiong bodies need to have an input on the regulations, meeting upon meeting etc....

This information is obviously a proposal that is being debated/discussed at the moment - its just an idea of whats to come, hopefully it won't be as harsh as it sounds, it could be worse!

Like it has been said previously, we're part of the EU now - this is why so many new rules/regulations and laws are coming into force, not just to do with cars either!

We need to get out of the EU. simples

Thanks to Garret3 for the heads up, People need to realise that things are going to get worse for our community not better!

Edited by Custom_Minis_Ltd, 13 July 2009 - 10:48 PM.

#72 ferrit

ferrit

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 13 July 2009 - 10:01 PM

I think the main thing is this will not affect the majority or mini owners! If you build a shorty, fine, if you build a double fronted car, fine, etc. etc. How can you realistically not expect to have these tested? But if you screw some arches on or change wheel size or add some buckets why would these be classed as significant moddifications?

Edited by ferrit, 13 July 2009 - 10:03 PM.

#73 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 10:02 PM

tut, garrett are you having a laugh? I'm trying to find information on this topic on various websites and telling your everybody to go and look for themselves.

Well i'm trying to write an email to VOSA here, and now you've gone and deleted the info you gave in the first place! How can i check?

How is anybody going to be able to see if this info is correct if your acting like that?

#74 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 10:36 PM

Well i've emailed VOSA, asking them to confim this info. So i'll post up the news when i get a reply.

#75 nicksuth

nicksuth

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 13 July 2009 - 10:37 PM

Maybe we can get a comment from someone at Z Cars ???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users