• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#31 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,046 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:10 PM

Whenever I finish a rally, if I am not taking the car back on a trailer I immediately remove the competition numbers and cover the rally plates. Should I fail to do this I risk having my FIA/MSA Competition Licence suspended.
So anyone driving around with numbers on the doors is, in the eyes of a true competitor, just pretending. In the eyes of the Old Bill a person with numbers on is probably what they might see as a 'boy racer'. It's not illegal, just maybe a bit unwise and unnecessary.
The question is why would anyone want to run around with numbers on their door if they are not competing in a rally?

#32 ANON

ANON

More Jammy than a Jammy dodger.

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Local Club: pony

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:14 PM

The question is why would anyone want to run around with numbers on their door if they are not competing in a rally?

' cause it looks sick man' or whatever the kids of today come out with ;)

Edited by ANON, 31 October 2011 - 09:14 PM.

#33 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:19 PM

It's just a styling choice like alloy wheels or bonnet stripes. Don't tell me you're both so old you don't remember wanting to have a cool looking car. :lol:

#34 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:18 PM

Whenever I finish a rally, if I am not taking the car back on a trailer I immediately remove the competition numbers and cover the rally plates. Should I fail to do this I risk having my FIA/MSA Competition Licence suspended.
So anyone driving around with numbers on the doors is, in the eyes of a true competitor, just pretending. In the eyes of the Old Bill a person with numbers on is probably what they might see as a 'boy racer'. It's not illegal, just maybe a bit unwise and unnecessary.

because they want to?
its not illegal, so why shouldnt they. I think I know what your saying...... you might as well not display the numbers on your car as it could make your life difficult so its easier to just not do it and not have the stress...?
but where does it stop? at the end of the day there is right and wrong, and on this occasion it is wrong for the coppers to pester innocent people.

#35 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,046 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:53 PM

because they want to?
its not illegal, so why shouldnt they. I think I know what your saying...... you might as well not display the numbers on your car as it could make your life difficult so its easier to just not do it and not have the stress...?
but where does it stop? at the end of the day there is right and wrong, and on this occasion it is wrong for the coppers to pester innocent people.

Personally I can't understand why anyone should want to pretend they are in some sort of competition as they drive around in their Minis, but i agree with you, it's their choice.
However, it undoubtedly does attract attention from the Old Bill and some derision from real competitors, but if it's what an individual wants then I guess that's fine for them.

#36 maggies_minder

maggies_minder

TMFs New official Spamster

• Members
  • 4,393 posts
  • Local Club: sutton coldfield mini club

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:50 AM

i dont know about elsewhere in the country, but in birmingham one thing seems to becoming more popular.

the number of cars with custom body kits roaming around without a front plate, most have it on the dash.
i saw one chap with it cellotaped parallel with his A pillar on the windscreen.

the police dont seem to stop those.

#37 AndyMiniMad.

AndyMiniMad.

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,290 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:33 AM

because they want to?

Personally I can't understand why anyone should want to pretend they are in some sort of competition as they drive around in their Minis, but i agree with you, it's their choice.
However, it undoubtedly does attract attention from the Old Bill and some derision from real competitors, but if it's what an individual wants then I guess that's fine for them.

Its not about "pretending" Its about styling, how many Mini's are "styled to look like a mk1 cooper or something they are not, including one of your familys cars...is that not also pretending?

Im not having a go at you or anyone else here... but if someone wants to place a huge pink number six on the car because they think it looks good...Why the hell not...So long as its not breaking the law!!

#38 ronin72105

ronin72105

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:55 AM

To be fair with the current cuts and limited numbers on the street and traffic officers looking at being scaled down I think minor motoring offences won't be looked at as much. It will be hard enough getting emergencies dealt with.

#39 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:28 AM

To be fair with the current cuts and limited numbers on the street and traffic officers looking at being scaled down I think minor motoring offences won't be looked at as much. It will be hard enough getting emergencies dealt with.

Or the cops take out their stress on the public.

Cooperman, as said above its about styling. I get that you dont like the numbers but you must reconise that its a factor that adds to a style and a "rally" look that people are trying to acheive.

Unfortunatly theres always going to be things in life which are "unfair." In some ways its what makes life less boring and worth living. Cops with bad attitudes and the wrong infomation is one thing I could live without, but if I got rid of every fustration in life I would be very bored!

#40 falconer

falconer

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:39 PM

because they want to?

I agree that if it's not illegal then it’s a mater of taste and the police should leave us alone. I too have seen some really bad taste when it comes to putting stickers and numbers on cars but it’s still a personal choice, plus if it’s done well I think I looks cool.
In my case it was not my mini that I got pulled in it was my limited edition 1995 Impreza. It was a tribute to the late Colin McRae for wining the 1995 world rally championship it was produced by Subaru with the decals and has his number 4 on the door. Now I think it just dose not look right without it.

Edited by falconer, 01 November 2011 - 02:42 PM.

#41 maggies_minder

maggies_minder

TMFs New official Spamster

• Members
  • 4,393 posts
  • Local Club: sutton coldfield mini club

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:11 PM

you mustve been really unlucky, my brother used to be a copper and he asked a traffic cop the laws on towing.

the other bobby couldnt answer his questions.

so like i said one who knows their arse from their elbow was unlucky for you.

you could put them back on and put the thinnest tape you can find over them in an "X"...

#42 mingy

mingy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:35 PM

I say do up your mini just as you want providing it,s within the law, even if the law sometimes does,nt know it,s own rules and regs in that particular instance.VW did the herbie look with No:53 on the doors and bonnet straight from the factory!!!.
Everybody,s got different tastes and it would,nt do for all mini,s to be in standard form, that,s what makes the car so unique.
I,ve got a 1972 reg and would like to remove the black and silver number plate on the front valance and replace it with a bonnet plate (stick on type) to complete the rally look (SORRY COOPS),would this be legal??????????????????

#43 minikidx14

minikidx14

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Name: Ross

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:48 PM

I,ve got a 1972 reg and would like to remove the black and silver number plate on the front valance and replace it with a bonnet plate (stick on type) to complete the rally look (SORRY COOPS),would this be legal??????????????????

I beleve that on pre 73 built cars a stick on plate is perfectly legal as the background shouldnt be reflective.

#44 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,649 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:36 AM

i dont know about elsewhere in the country, but in birmingham one thing seems to becoming more popular.

the number of cars with custom body kits roaming around without a front plate, most have it on the dash.
i saw one chap with it cellotaped parallel with his A pillar on the windscreen.

the police dont seem to stop those.

Ive thought about not running a front plate, but carrying a smashed up one in the boot, incase I was ever pulled over....... :-

Edited by Midas Mk1, 02 November 2011 - 12:37 AM.

#45 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,046 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:43 PM

I say do up your mini just as you want providing it,s within the law, even if the law sometimes does,nt know it,s own rules and regs in that particular instance.VW did the herbie look with No:53 on the doors and bonnet straight from the factory!!!.
Everybody,s got different tastes and it would,nt do for all mini,s to be in standard form, that,s what makes the car so unique.

The stick-on plate on the bonnet is sort-of legal. The law says it should be vertical. In fact it is a good thing to have as the way the standard no. plate is fitted makes it liable to damage and the plastic current-type are easy to snap off. With the MPI my Grandson has just finished, we raised the plate (has to be reflective) and mounted it on the bumper between the spotlight brackets. Much less vulnerable and, with it higher, it improves cooling airflow over the gearbox casing. My Inno has a square stick-on on the RH side of the bonnet where it covers a small area of poor paint.
If putting a stick-on onto the bonnet, if you remove the bonnet badge and put a rectangular stick-on across the bonnet just above the front lip it is almost vertical and thus completely legal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users